Aldeer.com

Running the boat at night

Posted By: dnolen

Running the boat at night - 09/28/18 02:47 PM

Ran across one of these yesterday on a charger boat. Thought it was cool. I'm curious how well it works.Night vision for boats
Posted By: JBL

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/28/18 03:07 PM

3500 bucks. They like those things. I watched the videos. Pretty cool, I'd like to see it in person.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/28/18 03:26 PM

dont care if its 10k it still wont show those floaters right under the waters surface. But still cool!
Posted By: bward85

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/28/18 03:55 PM

A spot light works great and is a hell of a lot cheaper thumbup
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/28/18 04:01 PM

I've used night vision units on the water at night, they work pretty dang good because of light reflection off the water. A strong spotlight works if it is mounted under the gunwale so it shines flat ahead. But that isn't a legal light according to so Water Patrol officers.

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/28/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
I've used night vision units on the water at night, they work pretty dang good because of light reflection off the water. A strong spotlight works if it is mounted under the gunwale so it shines flat ahead. But that isn't a legal light according to so Water Patrol officers.

I've heard of guys getting hit hard on pickwick and Wilson running lights. One guy pulled his ticket out. They got him for a spot light and his anchor light not being 24inchs above the cowling. It was mounted on top of the motor.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/29/18 01:55 PM

Pretty damn stupid giving a man a ticket for using a spotlight to see what he is running at. We ran GW boats with permanently mounted aircraft landing lights mounted under the bow, you could see a cigarette pack on the water at 100 yards. Marine police were just looking for a ticket to write when this started in the 80's.
Posted By: gman

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/29/18 09:20 PM

So you cant run headlights on a boat at night? I dont understand?? Any white illumination light? And i thought the white stern light just had to be "unobstructed" above the motor?
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/30/18 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by gman
So you cant run headlights on a boat at night? I dont understand?? Any white illumination light? And i thought the white stern light just had to be "unobstructed" above the motor?

Yeah, I'd like to see the actual regulation posted. I have a 7850 lumen LED light mounted on my bow and my stern light only clears the motor by about 6"
Posted By: klay

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/30/18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin

Yeah, I'd like to see the actual regulation posted. I have a 7850 lumen LED light mounted on my bow and my stern light only clears the motor by about 6"

No other lights that may be mistaken for required navigation lights may be exhibited.

The all-round white light (or the masthead light) must be at least one meter (3.3 ft.) higher than the sidelights

Copied from there web site. I have been warned while running docking lights before.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/30/18 01:33 AM

I don't think they'll be mistaking my LED spot light for navigation lights, but that would most likely be a judgement call on their part. I'm gonna run keep running it. My stern light is only 36" tall, so that's cutting it real close on that part of the regs.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/30/18 01:48 AM

Tow boats run the rivers with a brazillion horsepower swiveling beacon that would blind the sun but we can't use headlights on our boats? That's insane.
Posted By: blade

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/30/18 01:50 AM

There’s a pontoon boat on Jordan that has head
Ights. Looks like a 65 Buick on the water at night.

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/30/18 02:03 AM

Bet my old astroglass looked like a pinto! ^^
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Running the boat at night - 09/30/18 01:19 PM

I think elkhunter needs one of those
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Running the boat at night - 10/01/18 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by blade

It’s illegal. He can be ticketed.

Re: Running the boat at night - 10/01/18 01:59 PM

So no forward facing headlights? But you're allowed to run a boat at night? They're saying i'm just supposed to assume nothing is floating on the water and God is gonna protect me? Several times back in the day my headlights saved my lower unit because I was able to see floating debris in time to avoid. What is reasoning for no headlights?
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Running the boat at night - 10/01/18 02:15 PM

Guess we can't gator hunt anymore?
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Running the boat at night - 10/01/18 02:28 PM

So no forward facing headlights? But you're allowed to run a boat at night? They're saying i'm just supposed to assume nothing is floating on the water and God is gonna protect me? Several times back in the day my headlights saved my lower unit because I was able to see floating debris in time to avoid. What is reasoning for no headlights?

Got stopped many years back for this at Riverfest in Gadsden. WP said that the approaching boats cannot see your running lights if you have docking/running lights on at the same level. I said ok and wen on my way but it really makes not sense if you observe the rules and pass on right like you are supposed to. However, had one person make the argument that how do I know you are coming at me of going away from me if the lights are on? I can see his point, but kind of useless to me.
Posted By: blade

Re: Running the boat at night - 10/01/18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RCHRR
Originally Posted by blade

It’s illegal. He can be ticketed.

Yeah, I know. Surprised it hasn't happened and stopped him.
Posted By: wheelgun

Re: Running the boat at night - 10/18/18 04:26 AM

Neither regs or law mentions anything about forward facing headlights being illegal. Cant be mistaken for a mast or stern light so as long as it doesnt obstruct running lights, I dont see a problem.

Re: Running the boat at night - 10/18/18 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by wheelgun
Neither regs or law mentions anything about forward facing headlights being illegal. Cant be mistaken for a mast or stern light so as long as it doesnt obstruct running lights, I dont see a problem.

If you have forward facing lights. Who ever you meet can not see you lights. It's that simple. Just like folks that thinks it's cool to run a light bar on there truck. You can't see headlights from being blinded by light bar.

Re: Running the boat at night - 10/18/18 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by dnolen

If you have forward facing lights. Who ever you meet can not see you lights. It's that simple. Just like folks that thinks it's cool to run a light bar on there truck. You can't see headlights from being blinded by light bar.

Just let the ole WP catch you running docking lights or blue strip lights down the side at night and see how much of a problem it will be.
Posted By: wheelgun

Re: Running the boat at night - 10/18/18 02:02 PM

Run forward facing lights on all our boats in Mobile delta for years, never had any Marine Police question it. Yall just got some mean water patrols.

Re: Running the boat at night - 10/18/18 03:18 PM

Run forward facing lights on all our boats in Mobile delta for years, never had any Marine Police question it. Yall just got some mean water patrols.

Sir, that is an understatement up here now!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM