Aldeer.com

Scum line on boat?

Posted By: FurFlyin

Scum line on boat? - 08/02/18 12:09 AM

Is there anything to put on a boat, or anything to do to a boat, other than washing it every time it's used that will keep the scum line from getting onto the paint?

I just washed my boat for the 2nd time today. Probably been in the water 30 times since April. That line was tough to get off today. It did come completely off, but I'm not going through this again and I worked too hard on the restoration to let it look like crap.

I know wiping the boat down after pulling it out of the water will help.

I'm also going to hand wax it tomorrow. I'll be using 3M paste wax on it tomorrow to see if that helps. It's not their Marine paste wax. It's their show car Perfect-It. It's the best wax I've ever seen used. If that doesn't work and y'all don't have some sure fired remedy, I'll try their Marine wax.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/02/18 12:51 AM

Scum line might be all that's holding mine together
Posted By: sawdust

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/02/18 01:04 AM

Waxing helps. It still gets a scum line but it is easier to wash off.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/02/18 01:32 AM

I was going to mention waxing it when I read the title, but I see you're already planning to. My Dad kept a pontoon in a rented slip back in the 1970's and 80's. We used to brillo the pontoons about twice a year to remove what was growing on them, until he dry docked it one year and waxed them. I don't remember scrubbing them any after that. Maybe he did, but I don't remember it. He swore it picked up a few mph too.
Posted By: klay

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/02/18 02:39 AM

Spray it with a quick wax or Bassboat Saver and wipe it down as soon as you come out of the water, while it's still wet.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/02/18 03:20 AM

I might have something you can try Fur....to my knowledge, they haven't used it for boat scum lines but I bet it would work just fine. Look at the bug tour video and see what you think. If you want to try it, ill get you a sample and we can both see how it performs.

https://nanoslic.com/hydrophobic-and-oleophobic-coating/
Posted By: AC870

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/02/18 04:17 AM

I bought a bottle of that Hot Sauce a year ago. I just wiped down with that. I’m out now and got to replace it.
Worst scum lines I’ve had were certain days over by the feed mills. You could see stuff floating in the water.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/02/18 01:24 PM

dry eraser helps with scum line,b ut i would wax right after using.

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/02/18 07:29 PM

From the one and only Perchjerker:
Tell Fur that Academy sells a product by Starbrite. It is a product to remove scumlines. I’ve used it for years and it works great
About $12
Wipe on wipe off.
Take care, goober.

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/02/18 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by AC870
From the one and only Perchjerker:
Tell Fur that Academy sells a product by Starbrite. It is a product to remove scumlines. I’ve used it for years and it works great
About $12
Wipe on wipe off.
Take care, goober.

Be careful. This could dull a painted boat. It may not, not a lot of similar products will. Test a small area first
Posted By: Solo

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/03/18 12:24 AM

Nothing will replace a 10 minute wipe down each time you load it on the trailer. My buddies always asked why I took the time to clean my boat after each trip....well if you leave this TN river scum on long you’ll really have some work to clean up. 10 minutes of clean up goes a long way.

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/03/18 01:42 AM

I just got home from waxing my boat. I'll never go through that again. Thanks for all the replies. Klay I'll get some of the stuff you recommended and try it.

If being hard to rub off is any indication, that 3M wax may work wonders. My right shoulder is killing me. The boat looks fantastic though.

IDOT, I'll definitely give the stuff you're talking about a try. We'll test it and see how it works on Lake Guntersville nasty.

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/03/18 03:14 AM

Where you get Nanoslic?

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/03/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by AC870
Where you get Nanoslic?

AC, you can get it from that link I posted or I can sell it to you. Let me and Fur see if it's going to work though.

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/03/18 10:21 PM

Ten fo.
Posted By: WIDGEON

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/03/18 11:03 PM

Bass boat saver.
Posted By: Dallas County

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/07/18 03:11 PM

Starbrite hull cleaner and a waxed hull. I fish in the Indian River and the scum is unbeliveable. This stuff works good. And BTW, West Marine will now match all other vendors price, box stores and internet (Amazon).
Posted By: hallb

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/07/18 04:04 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-EZ-OFF-Bottom-Cleaner/dp/B00U2JBSI2

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/07/18 10:43 PM

Isn't Star Brite an acid cleaner? I've got drums of Aluminum Brightener which would definitely take off the scum line, but it would also likely damage and definitely dull the paint. That's why I won't use it. If the boat was bare aluminum I'd definitely use it and did on the Bass Tracker that I had last year. It would clean it up like a new penny.

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/08/18 01:17 AM

Got your sample on order today Fur thumbup
Posted By: Simpleman

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/10/18 11:43 PM

It won't help with keeping it off but that hull cleaner from west marine will take it off. I spray it on with a squirt bottle, let it sit awhile and spray it off.

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/12/18 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by IDOT

Sweet! Anxious to try it, because wax doesn't keep it off. I just got back from a MS fishing trip and have another brown stripe around the boat. It WILL be washed off tomorrow afternoon. I tried wiping the boat down but it was dried on by the time I got back to the cabin, which is only a 2 minute drive from the boat ramp....

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/12/18 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Originally Posted by IDOT

Sweet! Anxious to try it, because wax doesn't keep it off. I just got back from a MS fishing trip and have another brown stripe around the boat. It WILL be washed off tomorrow afternoon. I tried wiping the boat down but it was dried on by the time I got back to the cabin, which is only a 2 minute drive from the boat ramp....

You have to wipe it down at the ramp while it still is water dripping off it. It will come straight off. I do this with every boat I put in the water except pontoons.

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/12/18 05:57 PM

I'll do that next time, thanks!
Posted By: Jackmcbrax

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/15/18 10:42 PM

Pledge or Endust works real well as a wipe down aid. I would keep a can in the truck and when I pulled the boat out I’d spray it on a rag and go to town.
Posted By: Drew11

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/16/18 06:56 PM

Anyone ever tried one of those Magic Erasers? I have a 2013 Tracker with an unpainted hull.. those things work on just about every other smooth surface. Just curious if anyone has ever tried it?

Re: Scum line on boat? - 08/16/18 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Drew11
Anyone ever tried one of those Magic Erasers? I have a 2013 Tracker with an unpainted hull.. those things work on just about every other smooth surface. Just curious if anyone has ever tried it?

On an unpainted hull, you have three options: acid, polish, or SOS pads.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM