Aldeer.com

Hydraulic boat steering question

Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 06:04 PM

Are there brands to avoid when buying a kit? I'll be installing hydraulic steering on my boat when the weather gets a little warmer so I have plenty of time to research and want a quality setup without having to take a 2nd mortgage. I have already seen that kits seem to be less expensive than this time a year ago.
Posted By: dnolen

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 06:07 PM

Sea star pro is what I would buy.

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: dnolen

Look at this.....

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Teleflex-Ba...djqeniramsegdoh

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 06:45 PM

This one says made in Canada. No hoses but is upgradable to power steering. Not sure I'd ever want PS on my boat. I like the specs on this one over the other link..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaStar-Teleflex-Marine-HK6400A-3-Hydraulic-Outboard-Boat-Steering-Kit-New/171842974315?epid=1039442652&hash=item2802a3b26b:g:o30AAOSwgQ9Vku3F
Posted By: jbc

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: dnolen

I didn’t know there was another brand other than that

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 07:04 PM

I've seen another brand but can't remember the name. But sea star has a couple of different lines. The pro series uses redline rather than rubber seals. Then they have a bay star for lower h..p. What motor size?

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 07:12 PM

Bay star This is a guide for a bay star. Bay star is for 150 or less. They have discontinued one of the systems now. So they only have two systems now.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 07:24 PM

Seastar (Teleflex) and UFlex are the two major brands of hydraulic steering. I've had both, no problems with either. At the horsepower I have and the speeds my boat is capable of, I run the Seastar Pro with 1500 psi hoses and the beefier HC6345 cylinder.

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 07:34 PM

My boat has an old Johnson 185 on it. Probably comparable to a new 125 or so. I've had the boat running about 57mph buy usually only run about 45. Speed is not my thing.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 07:38 PM

Teleflex is the oldest name I know in Boat steering. wiley I found that same kit on EBAY for the same price. Looks like a great price. Look at the applications and make sure this model is for your motor. I'm sure you already have, but it's best to be sure. Wiley that model is for 150 Hp and below. What year model is your motor?

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 07:43 PM

I would go with a sea star. HC5348-3 Is the cyl. It calls for. For 65hp to 300hp. Link to amazon Sea star

Woqi was the name I couldn't think of they are half price but I know nothing about them.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 07:51 PM

Sea Star is Teleflex.

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/12/18 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
What year model is your motor?

Posted By: Drake322

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/13/18 04:53 AM

The biggest difference in kits as far as application goes is the torque of the motor. Since yours is an OLD v-block, I bet torque is hellacious. That said, if you are going to sink that kind of jack, you may consider installing the 150HP and up kit. Just my $0.02.
Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/13/18 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Would be a total waste of money IMHO. But it's your dime...

Re: Hydraulic boat steering question - 01/13/18 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: rulebreaker
Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Would be a total waste of money IMHO. But it's your dime...

You're right, it's my dime. And it's one hell of a lot cheaper than a new engine .
© 2024 ALDEER.COM