Aldeer.com

Frustrated

Posted By: Drew11

Frustrated - 11/13/17 05:13 PM

So I have a rod that I use solely for spinnerbaits, got 12# fluorocarbon on it and the last three trips I have taken I have lost three spinners on the cast. They break off and go flying. This last time when It went flying I put the rod in the rod locker and didn't even think about using it again. I have checked all the guides on this rod finding no flaws and I tie the same knot with all lures and this doesn't happen with any other rod that I have. I have used the "q-tip" trick on the guides to see if there are and cracks but no luck.
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 05:24 PM

Wetting your knots? What brand flouro?

Always wet the knots

Only use invis-x
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 05:46 PM

Check the line feed on your reel. A little abrasion or rough spot there will do the same thing as a knicked eye on the rod.

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 05:48 PM

I've also gotten a bad spool of line before. If the eyes look good and the line feed is fine, strip the line off the reel in 10 ft increments and snap it to see if there are week spots. Also if you've backlashed that reel, it can weaken the line in multiple points too.

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: abolt300
I've also gotten a bad spool of line before. If the eyes look good and the line feed is fine, strip the line off the reel in 10 ft increments and snap it to see if there are week spots. Also if you've backlashed that reel, it can weaken the line in multiple points too.

Flouro is a fickle beast. I love it but you have to maintain it.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 07:01 PM

May not help but, Why are you throwing a spinnerbait on 12lb flouro? I would throw 20 lb flouro or mono or 65lb braid. No way I want a fish in the type places I throw a spinnerbait on 12 lb line. Flouro is not real good when it comes to cover fishing in my opinion, could you be damaging the line after several retrieves and it just snaps on the cast due to previous damage since it's only 12lb to start with?

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 07:02 PM

Oh yeah and only use Gamma flouro I will put it against any brand out there

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben2
May not help but, Why are you throwing a spinnerbait on 12lb flouro? I would throw 20 lb flouro or mono or 65lb braid. No way I want a fish in the type places I throw a spinnerbait on 12 lb line. Flouro is not real good when it comes to cover fishing in my opinion, could you be damaging the line after several retrieves and it just snaps on the cast due to previous damage since it's only 12lb to start with?

I was gonna say that. I have been using 17lb
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 08:24 PM

I would not use any less than 15 throwing a spinnerbait. That's what I use most of the time throwing traps unless the grass is really thick and I need to keep it a little higher in the water column and I'll go to 20 then. The only time I throw 12 is when I'm cranking deep diving crankbaits and I need to get them down as deep as possible. I've had really good luck out of the seaguar red label.
Posted By: bankhead

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 09:15 PM

Use sunline fc super sniper and you will thank me later
Posted By: SkipJack

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 09:33 PM

I've had bad fluoro right out of the box before. Also for whatever reason it goes bad fast for me, maybe because I don't buy the expensive stuff. Had some 17lb spooled up not even a season old and I could snap the line with my hands like it was 6lb.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 09:55 PM

What Ben said! Why in the world would you use light line. The line doesn't make a spinnerbait go deeper or shallower. It doesn't affect the wiggle. A spinnerbait doesn't lay still on bottom so a fish can examine the line. You deserve to lose them!
Do you lite line a buzzbait too? Why not use 6lb on a frog? You don't need Flouracarbon, 20 lb mono in clear water works fine.
Posted By: icducks

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 09:55 PM

Flouro can get very brittle if not taken care off or if it gets old. I try to change out my line a good bit. Sunline fc sniper is some good stuff.
Posted By: Ryano

Re: Frustrated - 11/13/17 11:18 PM

Could the lime be getting tangled in the split rings? Braid does this a lot but of course I have to get it out so it's a known issue and I retie fairly often. If this is the problem you will have a bad spot about 3 inches from the knot.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Frustrated - 11/14/17 12:30 AM

You tried copolymer?
I like Yozuri and Vicious X.A.C.T.
I started out throwing 12, then 14 and just started chunking 17.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Frustrated - 11/14/17 12:39 AM

Ryano, how many split rings are on a spinnerbait? The only ones on the swivel are tiny.
When it comes to fluorocarbon I use Seagar. Ben is right tho. I saw a 6' long log pulled off the bottom of the Alabama River with 20lb GAMMA. My buddy had hung a football jig in 15 ft of water. I admit I was amazed. I think Gamma's price has come down from when it was first introduced.
Posted By: Ryano

Re: Frustrated - 11/14/17 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
Ryano, how many split rings are on a spinnerbait?

I put one above the swivel and one below it. Most of the time mine gets caught in the one above the swivel. Yes they are small but they will stretch then start causing issues for me.
Posted By: .308

Re: Frustrated - 11/14/17 01:03 PM

Ditch the fluorocarbon & by a spool of clear blue stren. You watch too many fishing shows...don't over complicate things.

Re: Frustrated - 11/14/17 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker

Do you lite line a buzzbait too? Why not use 6lb on a frog?

I like to throw a buzzbait on 4lb and I've found that 6lb is perfect for the frog. I used to flip with 2lb but broke too many fish off and went up to 4lb for that too. rofl

Perch you sure are a condescending, ornery old fart. lol

Re: Frustrated - 11/14/17 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: .308
Ditch the fluorocarbon & by a spool of clear blue stren. You watch too many fishing shows...don't over complicate things.

I hate stren. Wouldn't use it on a cane pole perch jerking. There are soooo many better options for mono.
Posted By: Bucky205

Re: Frustrated - 11/14/17 10:17 PM

^^^^^^THIS^^^^

Re: Frustrated - 11/14/17 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: abolt300

I hate stren. Wouldn't use it on a cane pole perch jerking. There are soooo many better options for mono.

For the price you can't beat trilene big game. I wont use stren of any kind. Trilene, Gamma or braid for me
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Frustrated - 11/14/17 11:43 PM

If I use mono, it's almost always Trilene, but all my bass reels have Fireline Super Line on them...no stretch, almost impervious to EVERYTHING, lasts for years! All of my SW reels have 60 lb braid on them. I keep all of my rods/reels indoors, in climate controlled locations, so I don't get environmental breakdown or degradation of the line during non-use time; I have reels that have been spooled with the same mono for 10+ years, and its' breaking strength still meets or exceeds the original advertised strength for that line.
Posted By: .308

Re: Frustrated - 11/15/17 06:42 AM

What size superline on the bass reels DOA? I keep one baitcaster loaded with braid for frogging & plopping.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Frustrated - 11/18/17 02:43 PM

Usually 20 or 30 lb...it's about the same diameter as 12 or 14 mono. It casts easy and doesn't develop a lot of memory...you just have to remember there's no stretch, so if you get real hyper on your hookset, you're going to pull it through.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM