Aldeer.com

Helix images. What they is?

Posted By: FurFlyin

Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 09:05 PM

I thought this was fish, but one guy told me it's brush. What do you think?

Pretty sure this is crappie. Anyone have an opinion?

I didn't have time to fish either spot. I'll have to try them next time.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 09:17 PM

Neither are brush. Crappie or white bass in the 2nd pic, big shad in 1st maybe

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 09:18 PM

2nd pic could just be big shad too

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 09:34 PM

Thanks for the info. So, what do you base that on? I'm tryting to learn, not question. It's a hard bottom, so that's why it's so bright. You asked once if I had my sensitivity set high and I did at the time, but now I'm running factory defaults.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 09:53 PM

2nd pic looks like gizzard shad. 1st is prolly gizzard as well, not brush. White bass tend to school a little farther apart, crappie will look similar to gizzard but around cover.

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 09:54 PM

Tough to say. You are going 4.7 mph. Try going a little slower. The faster you go the smaller the image. I think closer to 3 mph is recommended if I am not mistaken.

I am looking at the individual shadows under each area. The top one is harder to see cause they are closer to bottom.

But I still see individual fish in the top pic and shadows. To me the Crappie look much bigger than what you have there

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 09:56 PM

Also to see individual fish better bring your range in to about 50 ft

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 10:12 PM

Thanks for the info. When I bring the range in, the water column gets wider, taking up more of the screen. I think there's a setting to take part of the WC out and I know there is a screen that eliminates the WC but that wouldn't help find fish as easy.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 10:28 PM

Your on the right track, use the SI to scan. Drop your pins and idle over them with DI.
You could always buy another graph, 1 to look right, 1 to look left!

Fish the high percentage areas, key structure and cover. If fish are suspended over a barren 30’ flat, I’ll likely keep looking.

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 10:35 PM

I thought about getting another one. LOL If I keep going my little crappie rig is gonna look like a bassmaster boat. LOL

If those were crappie, they were catchable. They were close to a creek channel, but you can't tell that I know.

Next up is a spot lock TM.

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/12/17 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
I thought about getting another one. LOL If I keep going my little crappie rig is gonna look like a bassmaster boat. LOL

If those were crappie, they were catchable. They were close to a creek channel, but you can't tell that I know.

Next up is a spot lock TM.

They make anchors still

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/13/17 08:54 AM

I don’t like anchors.

Do you not like the spot lock TM’s?
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/13/17 11:45 AM

You got shad man. If that’s Guntersville it’s gizzards.

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/13/17 11:47 AM

That spot lock is money from what I’ve seen. I will have one before February. Nothing wrong with dropping a few anchors to hold you still if you are fishing vertical or not looking to move too much.

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/13/17 11:48 AM

The crappie will be more vertically stacked when you find them and most likely over some type of feature. Point, channel ledge, tree, brush.

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/13/17 11:53 AM

It is Guntersville.

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/13/17 01:47 PM

I do not like the button positioning on the spot lock trolling motors. I hit the anchor button or constant or north button or whatever they are. The electronic steering trips me out too. The theory is great buttons need to be off the foot petal imo.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/14/17 12:47 AM

That's always been the easy way to ID crappie. They stack vertically. No matter where you are.
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/14/17 01:08 PM

Shad and yellow stripe. As the others said, crappie will stack vertically and look a lot like a big ol tree trunk in the graph.

Re: Helix images. What they is? - 11/14/17 08:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Next time I'm gonna stop and try to catch some and see.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM