Aldeer.com

Carolina Rig change up

Posted By: Drake322

Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 10:08 AM

I just was a vid on BBC of a guy fishing a Spro frog on a Carolina rig. Anyone tried this? I tried to use some small shad raps last year with no success. I may have picked wrong time of year too.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 10:31 AM

Now that's a new one. I've tinkered with a few things before, but had little to no success. Caught a fish once using the floating Rapala (F11) on a C-rig, but mostly ain't nothing going to be better than a lizard or finesse worm.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 10:38 AM

Crawfish seems to do a little better at times but the lizard generally wears 'em out.

Never tried any of the floating stuff. I may just to say I have.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 11:40 AM

A super fluke kill'em too. There is no wrong time to fish a Carolina rig. It's been said a fisherman can catch every fish in a school with one. It's a lot more popular in Ga than Alabama. Most of their lakes have a generation schedule and you can load the boat when they turn on the water. Current in any form is a fisherman's friend.

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 11:47 AM

Ours have a generation schedule too (accurate except for Holt). It amazes me that more people don't use them. I would rather sit at home sipping a beverage and cook something nice than try to catch fish when it's difficult.

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 12:39 PM

APCO has been real stingy with the two turbines on Neely this whole summer. MOnday-Wednesday this week they were running two and man when I got home in around 6 from work, I could see the current around the river bridge and is was like I had just taken 100mg blue pill with a passed out wife. Could not do a damn thing about it! rofl

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 12:52 PM

Oh, you could have done something about it. Have you never heard of necrophilia? I've dated some women that made me feel like I had committed it! grin

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 01:10 PM

That's funny. I thought passed out wife meant her saying "but why is my behind sore?".
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Geno
That's funny. I thought passed out wife meant her saying "but why is my behind sore?".

laugh rofl
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
A super fluke kill'em too. There is no wrong time to fish a Carolina rig. It's been said a fisherman can catch every fish in a school with one. It's a lot more popular in Ga than Alabama. Most of their lakes have a generation schedule and you can load the boat when they turn on the water. Current in any form is a fisherman's friend.

Liar liar liar. Big spots will not hit carolina rigged zoom super flukes (especially in Albino color) on the back sides of wing dams, points or other current breaks on the Bama or Bigbee. They especially won't do it if the water is moving good. Quit lying to these people Perch. You should be ashamed of yourself propagating this nonsense.

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: ikillbux

laugh rofl

beers
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 04:42 PM

Crawfish seems to do a little better at times but the lizard generally wears 'em out.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've always assumed lizards would only be effective along/near the bank, not further out and/or in deeper water. Is that accurate or no?

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 05:08 PM

They work great on ledges too. No telling how many I've caught 20 ft deer on lizards. Some bigg'uns too. I'm telling you in Ga the Carolina rig is a mainstay. They don't have grass lakes except Seminole. steve Kennedy the Pro has a dad that made it to the Classic years ago thru the Federation using a Carolina rig. He fishes one sometimes with a 6 ft leader. You should see him throw it. It looks like he is throwing a lasso.
Posted By: icducks

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/12/17 07:34 PM

I have used lots of different baits on c-rigs including crankbaits,jerk baits , but have never thought about using a frog. Gonna have to try that one.

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/13/17 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've always assumed lizards would only be effective along/near the bank, not further out and/or in deeper water. Is that accurate or no?

Not at all - I've caught em in 20'+.

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/13/17 10:23 AM

Me too. Amazing when you fish with someone that only uses a 2' leader, and you pull one out that is 5' and the looks you get!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/13/17 12:26 PM

Back when spro started the frog tournaments at G there were a few people that tried this because the rules were not as clearly defined as they are today.

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/13/17 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Drake322

Me too. Amazing when you fish with someone that only uses a 2' leader, and you pull one out that is 5' and the looks you get!!!!!!!!!

Just like dogs don’t know it’s not bacon, bass don’t break down that a lizard is out deep. They just see the action from the tail and appendages. I use a rage lizard a lot for c-rigs
Posted By: Clem

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/13/17 10:24 PM

Quote:
Back when spro started the frog tournaments at G there were a few people that tried this because the rules were not as clearly defined as they are today.

This is true. Same for the Snag-Proof tournaments in the early days. People did some crazy chit with frogs and their other creature-frog baits.

"Flippin' deep grass."

Wait, flippin' deep grass? HTF do you do that underwater with a frog?

"We modified it."

Rules had to be rewritten. They were in the "Aw, no one would do anything like that" mode in the early days, but if it doesn't specify then someone's going to try it.
Posted By: jdhunter2011

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/19/17 11:39 AM

C-rigs dont catch fish. Move along

Re: Carolina Rig change up - 10/23/17 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: jdhunter2011
C-rigs dont catch fish. Move along

And I never leave one rigged up from April to November. Because they never work. Ever. Especially not at night.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM