Aldeer.com

Kayak paddle

Posted By: perchjerker

Kayak paddle - 09/15/17 06:51 PM

I've read longer is better, but no one mentions actual length. Some of you guys that have been yakers for a long time please shed some light on this for me! Thankx
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Kayak paddle - 09/15/17 06:53 PM

I do not think length is the issue, it is the girth. laugh
Posted By: Geno

Re: Kayak paddle - 09/15/17 07:01 PM

It's not the size at all - it's the motion.
Posted By: N_AL_Slugger

Re: Kayak paddle - 09/15/17 07:58 PM

Optimal Paddle length is determined by the width of the kayak.

See this guide here: https://www.bendingbranches.com/sizing/kayak-paddle
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Kayak paddle - 09/15/17 08:19 PM

Thankx N_AL, Geno go feed the sharks! Good one drake! Geno It's not the size of the wave, it's the motion of the ocean! grin
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Kayak paddle - 09/16/17 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
Thankx N_AL, Geno go feed the sharks! Good one drake! Geno It's not the size of the wave, it's the motion of the ocean! grin

beers
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Kayak paddle - 09/16/17 12:20 PM

I use a 220CM on my Malibu Stealth 12 which is 33" wide. If you are looking for one; I may be selling a top of the line Diamond Ascent carbon fiber. Very light.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Kayak paddle - 09/16/17 07:40 PM

Simple rule of thumb that's always worked for me is that when you stand up the paddle next to you, ideally your fingers should just slightly be able to bend over the lip of the top.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Kayak paddle - 09/17/17 06:18 PM

I've never seen that paddle selection guide before but after reading it, I'd say it's pretty accurate. I would advise that if you are trying to select and have it narrowed down to 2 different sizes, I would opt for the longer one. Besides propelling the boat, you will use your paddle for other things such as pushing off of obstacles, freeing your bait from snags, etc. Longer is always better for these uses. The last thing to consider is if you ever plan to stand up in the boat. I'm 6-3 and I used a 240cm paddle for years. When I started standing most of the time, I went to a 250cm and have loved it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM