Aldeer.com

Anyone else kayak fish the gulf?

Posted By: Moose24

Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 10:44 AM

I started fishing the gulf from my kayak and paddle board. Had some success this summer. Anyone else fish the gulf?

Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 10:55 AM

Looks like a fun time. I bet that reef donkey drug you around pretty good. I sank a 12ft ascend Kayak in the middle of the Destin pass last memorial day. Since then I stick to fresh water!!! Flowing creeks mostly. Im allergic to paddling. Congrats bub
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 11:59 AM

Those are some nice ones!

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: mandeerpig
Looks like a fun time. I bet that reef donkey drug you around pretty good. I sank a 12ft ascend Kayak in the middle of the Destin pass last memorial day. Since then I stick to fresh water!!! Flowing creeks mostly. Im allergic to paddling. Congrats bub

I remember you posting about that. That sucks.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 12:12 PM

That sucks but glad you are OK. Yes, He pulled me around a good bit. Probably my most fun catch. I caught about 5 foot hammerhead that took longer to get to the kayak but he was more of a heavy dead weight.
Posted By: Uokman2014

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 12:21 PM

FYI: That's a Jack Crevelle - not an Amberjack (aka: Reef Donkey)... However they BOTH pull mighty hard!!

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Uokman2014

FYI: That's a Jack Crevelle - not an Amberjack (aka: Reef Donkey)... However they BOTH pull mighty hard!!

10 4. I guess the aj' s don't have any yellow and have more of a belly don't they ? I've never seen a jack crevelle in person.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: mcninja

I remember you posting about that. That sucks.

Yeah that was pretty embarrassing but i learned not to even get in that thing with out something better than a solo cup to bale water with. I've seen people 9+ miles out fishing out of kayaks. Gives me anxiety seeing them.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 01:30 PM

I never heard the term "Reef Donkey". I'm a rookie. grin
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 03:25 PM

Yep. I'd be willing to bet that a jack is hardest pulling fish pound per pound in the Gulf.

Congrats on the catches OP! thumbup

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: leroycnbucks

Yep. I'd be willing to bet that a jack is hardest pulling fish pound per pound in the Gulf.

I'll second that notion. Hardest pulling fish I've ever fought was a 27lb jack crevelle that I landed from the Perdido pass sea wall. It took the better part of an hour and was like tugging on a dang boulder.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 03:38 PM

To answer the original post - yes, I've done some 'yak fishing in the gulf. Not a ton, and not nearly as good success as you!
Posted By: AC870

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 05:55 PM

Dang cool.
I may hit you up in a pm for tips.
I'm wanting to get equipped to kayak fish lagoons and bays for trout and reds.
Tell Geno and the rest of us what you did with the shark when you got him in.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: AC870
Dang cool.
I may hit you up in a pm for tips.
I'm wanting to get equipped to kayak fish lagoons and bays for trout and reds.
Tell Geno and the rest of us what you did with the shark when you got him in.

Tried to get some pics but they did not turn out so good and then cut the line. I fish the bay on my paddle board. I like to stand up and cast. I have not caught any reds yet just trout and flounder.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 08:54 PM

Bays mostly. Launch off St. Marks NWR at the lighthouse more often than not just out of convenience. Reds in abundance at times, a few trout here and there, 6514654 pinfish and 345649816151322516456 sharks. Occasional flatfish - flounder. Sometimes find some scallops.

Appalachee Bay, Goose Creek from Wakulla on the refuge, Alligator Harbor from just past the bend on 98.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 10:03 PM

I've lobstered out of a yak in the ocean but never fished out of the bay/intercoastal/lagoon shallow waters.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/12/17 10:37 PM

5' shark would be perfect. Not Hammerhead, that species is protected in FL waters. The larger allowable species require 54" at the fork. That's 12" short of being as big as me.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By: leroycnbucks

hardest chewing per pound to eat also aren't they?
Posted By: BREEZE1

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 07:52 AM

I love kayak fishing in the gulf. Lots of work but nothing like getting drug around by a fish.

And of course my buddy hooks up with my dream fish out of a yak twice but didn't land either one.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 08:41 AM

Nice fish Breeze1. Cool Tarpon pic!

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 09:00 AM

Thanks. I want a tarpon so bad. He hooked the 1st one rite off the beach in front of our condo. The whole beach was cheering. lol
was a fun day. Here is a pic that was taken off the balcony of the condo a friend took.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: BREEZE1
Thanks. I want a tarpon so bad. He hooked the 1st one rite off the beach in front of our condo. The whole beach was cheering. lol
was a fun day. Here is a pic that was taken off the balcony of the condo a friend took.

How you doing Photobucket?
Posted By: k bush

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 11:49 AM

Secret decoder ring...

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 01:18 PM

Yes photobucket. I think that last pic I snapped a pic of the camera screen with my phone but yes photobucket is how I loaded them here

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BREEZE1
Yes photobucket. I think that last pic I snapped a pic of the camera screen with my phone but yes photobucket is how I loaded them here

I think He is saying that Photobucket has crapped out for most every unless maybe you pay or something. So, how are you able to get it to work on this forum? Most of us have had to find other sites to host our pictures.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 02:03 PM

Oh. I dunno really. It asked if I wanted to pay 399.00 for a year I clicked no and went on like normal. It worked but had several adds pop up. So do I need to try to move my pictures? I guess I better read up some.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 02:13 PM

Huh. I just tried and it worked for me too. Posted photobucket test in the general forum. Weeellll alrighty then.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 02:15 PM

Ok I went to photobucket and went to plans. 10gb and less is free. Then the plans start above that so im way down in the free plan. So just have to clean your bucket every now and then.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/13/17 02:21 PM

Cool. This is what I get when posting a photobucket pic
Posted By: JayHook

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/15/17 02:18 PM

I don't fish for kayaks but average about 2 per year in the bay/gulf.

Not much meat on one or is it just the skin that's so tough!

In all seriousness it's all fun and games until...
you lose your paddle or turn over...at least that's the way the one's on my tow rope have portrayed it.

Kayaks don't belong in the gulf...if you must go please do it in pairs...and file a float plan.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/15/17 07:06 PM

Suck it. I'll go wherever I want to. grin

If I go out of sight, it will be due to a nantucket sleigh ride. I only use those little toys to fish water I don't want to put a boat in. Where I will be, I can usually walk back to shore if I manage to sink it. Appalachee Bay, Ocklochonee Bay, Alligator Harbor.

If I hook a Tarpon I'll be mad as a hornet. They're thick here and you can't keep them.

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/16/17 06:54 AM

Brisbane sleigh ride. Turn the music down - it sucks. The good stuff starts at 4:34

Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/16/17 08:29 AM

That was just a baby. This is why no blue water for me!

Can you say HORDERVE? I think a yak and fisherman look like a nacho to a big hungry shark.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Anyone else kayak fish the gulf? - 09/16/17 08:34 AM

That's BS about photobucket. I never got over 3gb. They still got me. They say one thing, but it's not how they are conducting their business. Now Tinypic is doing it too since they are the same company.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM