Aldeer.com

Big G

Posted By: BULLY

Big G - 09/05/17 12:26 PM

Anybody doing any good on the G?
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Big G - 09/05/17 11:27 PM

Planning on riding up Friday. Just replaced my old batts with some AGM batts. Gonna try the slop
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Big G - 09/06/17 08:10 AM

We went Monday, fished from Waterfront to B.B. Comer, had a very good day in my opinion. Caught 9 on a frog, big fish was 5-11, best five was approximately 22 pounds. Hard to find "sloppy" mats, but that's where the fish are when you do find it. It probably changes from day to day, but the fish were WAAAYY back in the mats Monday, not on the edges.

Funny story (well, NOT funny)... Possibly the biggest fish we had blow up, blew up 3 times in a row and never got the frog. This joker's tail looked as big as both of your hands together (I'm guessing a 7+ pound fish). Dadgum blow hole was big around as a 5-gal bucket. We made several more casts and that fish just quit reacting. So I picked up my sissy wand with a wacky rigged finesse worm and threw it that hole, when I flipped the bail and lifted the rod it nearly pulled the rod out of my hands...well about 3 seconds of screaming drag was all it took, joker made a fool of me! cry rofl
Posted By: William

Re: Big G - 09/06/17 08:11 AM

Going next Fri and Sat.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Big G - 09/06/17 12:44 PM

Push pole is your friend

Re: Big G - 09/06/17 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ikillbux
We went Monday, fished from Waterfront to B.B. Comer, had a very good day in my opinion. Caught 9 on a frog, big fish was 5-11, best five was approximately 22 pounds. Hard to find "sloppy" mats, but that's where the fish are when you do find it. It probably changes from day to day, but the fish were WAAAYY back in the mats Monday, not on the edges.

Funny story (well, NOT funny)... Possibly the biggest fish we had blow up, blew up 3 times in a row and never got the frog. This joker's tail looked as big as both of your hands together (I'm guessing a 7+ pound fish). Dadgum blow hole was big around as a 5-gal bucket. We made several more casts and that fish just quit reacting. So I picked up my sissy wand with a wacky rigged finesse worm and threw it that hole, when I flipped the bail and lifted the rod it nearly pulled the rod out of my hands...well about 3 seconds of screaming drag was all it took, joker made a fool of me! cry rofl

You had the right idea. Next time try to throw it in there on 50lb braid Texas rigged with a 1/4 tungsten and HD flipping hook. I do this exact same thing. Especially if I catch one fast. Kinda like flipping beavers. There's likely a few more in there.
Posted By: BULLY

Re: Big G - 09/06/17 04:28 PM

Do y'all punch with braid? With the water being so clear it looks like a rope. I use 20 florocarbon.
Posted By: Waldo

Re: Big G - 09/06/17 06:13 PM

I think you wil get more bites with flourocarbon. But you will lose a few.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Big G - 09/06/17 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BULLY
Do y'all punch with braid? With the water being so clear it looks like a rope. I use 20 florocarbon.

65 lb spiderwire stealth. The fish live in a jungle that rope could be chartreuse and the would still bite it! Hit it with a Sharpe if you want it blacked out

Re: Big G - 09/06/17 08:01 PM

Braid only homey. It's a reaction bite

Re: Big G - 09/07/17 08:05 AM

So I need to be in the way back of creeks fishing mats?

Re: Big G - 09/07/17 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpipererp

You had the right idea. Next time try to throw it in there on 50lb braid Texas rigged with a 1/4 tungsten and HD flipping hook. I do this exact same thing. Especially if I catch one fast. Kinda like flipping beavers. There's likely a few more in there.

grin I'm still laughing at myself...I must've looked like a kid who saw his dog get run over!
Posted By: Clem

Re: Big G - 09/07/17 10:52 PM

Quote:
65 lb spiderwire stealth. The fish live in a jungle that rope could be chartreuse and the would still bite it! Hit it with a Sharpe if you want it blacked out

Yep. Won't bother them in that mess, especially if they're keying on a big Beaver, tube, 10-inch worm or jig.

Re: Big G - 09/08/17 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:

Yep. Won't bother them in that mess, especially if they're keying on a big Beaver, tube, 10-inch worm or jig.

Yeah, you said big beaver.

Re: Big G - 09/08/17 02:42 PM

The big brown beaver is compelling.

Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Big G - 09/08/17 02:51 PM

They aren't looking at the line. They are watching dinner flipping around and planning their attack.

Re: Big G - 09/08/17 03:32 PM

One of my favorite bands. cool

Re: Big G - 09/08/17 08:29 PM

I'll be on the G in the morning, think I'm gonna put in at Alreds and hit the mats from there to the dam.

Re: Big G - 09/08/17 09:54 PM

I'll be on the G in the morning, think I'm gonna put in at Alreds and hit the mats from there to the dam.

Went today. If you have a choice to put in, go up to goosepond and go past second bridge. It was pretty active this morning for us. Went up to mud after that and got a few to roll over but no takers
Posted By: AC870

Re: Big G - 09/09/17 02:42 PM

Big G whipped my arse this morning. The wind was whipping and it kind of wrecked my game plan.
Spent the morning mostly frogging in Alreds, hiding from the wind. Had one bite on Ultravibe Speed Worm. Missed it.
Maybe I'll do better next time.

Re: Big G - 09/09/17 08:16 PM

Way different today than earlier in the week. Everything was dead this morning, and dang that wind was awful. I started off in Alreds, went to Honeycomb, then to Browns, then up near the State Park. Caught 3 small fish on a Texas rig out of the scattered grass around the mats, but only had two half-hearted rolls on the frog (and that wasn't until nearly 11:00). I didn't even hear any bream smacking till 10:00-ish or so.

Something I noticed that was different... When we were there Monday, there was no evidence that any spot we went to had been fished already (no frog lines in the muck). Today, it felt like everywhere I went there was lines all over the mat.

Re: Big G - 09/09/17 09:11 PM

I looked on the Guntersville Bass Fishing Facebook page. Sounds like everyone struggled today.
My buddy gave up on the frog and punched and threw swimjig. He had one hit on swimjig but didn't get him.
Oh and if any of the goose hunters I fished right in front of are on here, I'm sorry. The sun was behind your island and I didn't even notice until you started blowing that wood duck whistle.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Big G - 09/09/17 09:27 PM

I tried to find some Crappie and caught 2 LM's. Two Crappie hunting trips now, and 3 green trout....

I did go further up in Town Crick today than I've ever been before. I got my Lakemaster card for my Helix and drove where it showed the channel to be, went as far as I deemed safe and wound up surrounded by Cat Tails and hydrillafoilmoss. 10 hundred billion bait fish up in there.

Re: Big G - 09/09/17 09:36 PM

Good to know, Fur.
Hey, I don't think it's a big deal. And you probably ain't keeping bass. But Town Creek is one of the few places in Marshall County with a fish advisory. State recommends 2 or less meals of bass a month from Town. Mercury.
I went up in the end of Short Creek on a State Park kayak trip. It's beautiful up there. Looks like a mountain trout stream.

Re: Big G - 09/09/17 09:42 PM

Thanks for the info, I didn't keep them.

According to the website I looked at TVA was supposed to be discharging north of 40,000 but there was NO current flowing out of Town Creek. I sat still under the bridge and fished for 10 minutes without ever using the trolling motor for anything other than to correct for the wind blowing.

Re: Big G - 09/09/17 10:53 PM

Quote:
I didn't even hear any bream smacking till 10:00-ish or so.

Always a tell-tale sign.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Big G - 09/10/17 07:21 AM

Quote:

Always a tell-tale sign.

Don't tell every secrete.............

Re: Big G - 09/10/17 08:57 AM

Originally Posted By: top cat
Quote:

Always a tell-tale sign.

Don't tell every secrete.............

My bad!!! laugh

Re: Big G - 09/10/17 09:00 AM

I saw where Mike Gerry had commented on the Facebook page that the fishing is very sporadic right now, said the fish are constantly moving...where they are today, they won't be tomorrow. Said their guide trips have been up or down each day this week.
Posted By: PRB

Re: Big G - 09/10/17 11:46 AM

I was Crappie fishing Wednesday and the bite slowed and fish got small so I wrapped it up. I had a couple of big rods in the boat, and a little time to kill, so on the way in I thought, "What the hell? I'll stop and sling a few cast."

Pulled up off of a grass mat and chunked my secret weapon pond bait down the edge. A few cranks and, bam, 8-4lb girl in the boat. I fished another 30 minutes or so and ended up catching another that was 4 and a couple of 1.5-2 pounders. Snapped a pic of the big girl, weighed her, and she now resides in the pond behind my house.

Y'all are making catching these ditch pickles way harder than it has to be. laugh

Re: Big G - 09/10/17 07:22 PM

PRB, if you wanna show me how to Crappie fish, I'd be glad to get a lesson.
Posted By: PRB

Re: Big G - 09/10/17 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
PRB, if you wanna show me how to Crappie fish, I'd be glad to get a lesson.

I'm not sure I'd call it a lesson, but you're welcome to load up.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Big G - 09/11/17 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: PRB
I was Crappie fishing Wednesday and the bite slowed and fish got small so I wrapped it up. I had a couple of big rods in the boat, and a little time to kill, so on the way in I thought, "What the hell? I'll stop and sling a few cast."

Pulled up off of a grass mat and chunked my secret weapon pond bait down the edge. A few cranks and, bam, 8-4lb girl in the boat. I fished another 30 minutes or so and ended up catching another that was 4 and a couple of 1.5-2 pounders. Snapped a pic of the big girl, weighed her, and she now resides in the pond behind my house.

Y'all are making catching these ditch pickles way harder than it has to be. laugh

Nice one!
Posted By: Geno

Re: Big G - 09/12/17 08:06 AM

That is a big girl. Very nice!

Re: Big G - 09/12/17 06:34 PM

I don't know about the Bass fishing today, but I couldn't get any Crappie to jump in the boat this afternoon. My son caught one little White Bass. I just knew that with the rain that current would be flowing fast under the bridge at Town or Short creek, and that the fish would be biting, but I was wrong. Water was flowing INTO the creeks, not out. At least it was dry under the bridge.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM