Aldeer.com

Popular lure that you DON'T use???

Posted By: ikillbux

Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 10:02 AM

Maybe it's more of a "category" of lures that you don't use, or a style that you don't fish.

I hear so much talk about frogs, and I almost never use frogs. I've just always found I could catch those fish with something better (to me). I would probably only use a frog in "slop" that nothing else could come through, but I basically never fish that kind of water.

Also, I absolutely despise flipping/pitching/skipping a JIG on boat docks. I use jigs a ton of other ways, but I have zero confidence with a jig on boat docks.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 10:18 AM

I have never had ANY luck with Rattle Traps. I've had luck with other, regular, crankbaits. but not the rattle traps.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 10:22 AM

They're hell on redfish in the rivers during the winter.
Posted By: birdcarver

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer
They're hell on redfish in the rivers during the winter.
rofl Frogs?
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 10:46 AM

Ive put a hurtin onem with a chrome blue RT when they in big schools runnin shad round bridges an stuff. Never liked carolina rigs.. Texas rig worked just as good minus all that swivel baloney
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: ikillbux
I hear so much talk about frogs, and I almost never use frogs. I've just always found I could catch those fish with something better (to me).

By "frog", do you mean ALL frog baits or just the hollow-body ones?

Are you catching fish in heavy weeds/mats/lillypads w/other topwater baits? If so, what are you using? I'm not talking punching through the junk - I'm talking purely topwater... If its relatively clear water, I like using other lures, but a frog (built right) I've had pretty good luck with in the scenario above; in fact, this year I built a "frog rod" setup specifically for this ... Educate me on your technique in these areas 'cause I'd love to know what's working for you...

The lures that appear to be popular that I don't use are spooks & jigs, although I'm getting some jigs here soon & giving it a try... What I do not do that's popular is more technique-based -- Carolina rigs, wacky rigs, A-rig, etc... I Texas rig & let it fly...
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 11:08 AM

I hate drop shot, hate traps. I prefer a Bomber fat A, it rattles like A trap but I can control it better. I like Carolina rigs. I've caught a bunch of big bass on them. They catch numbers of fish too. I love jigs any way you can fish them. Traps are my least favorite way.

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
I love jigs any way you can fish them.

I hear this a lot, Perch; that's why I'm wanting to learn jig fishing this year...
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 11:17 AM

Anything considered finesse fishing.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 11:31 AM

A-RIG
Posted By: William

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 12:47 PM

Popular that I don't use: worm. Way too slow for me. If you see me fishing one, EVERYTHING else in my tackle box didn't work.

Popular that I won't use: A-Rig. Too much of a workout.

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BamaGuitarDude
I hear so much talk about frogs, and I almost never use frogs. I've just always found I could catch those fish with something better (to me).

Are you catching fish in heavy weeds/mats/lillypads w/other topwater baits? If so, what are you using? I'm not talking punching through the junk - I'm talking purely topwater... If its relatively clear water, I like using other lures, but a frog (built right) I've had pretty good luck with in the scenario above; in fact, this year I built a "frog rod" setup specifically for this ... Educate me on your technique in these areas 'cause I'd love to know what's working for you...

The lures that appear to be popular that I don't use are spooks & jigs, although I'm getting some jigs here soon & giving it a try... What I do not do that's popular is more technique-based -- Carolina rigs, wacky rigs, A-rig, etc... I Texas rig & let it fly...

All of them. I don't like the flappy-legged versions (like Horny Toads), don't like the hollow body ones, or any other version. 99% of the time in grass (ie: water willows, shoreline grass) I'll swim a jig, or buzzbait, or what I've primarily gone to these days is a wacky rigged finesse worm. I'm not "fishing for 5 bites", I'm fishing for ALL of them!!! And that wacky setup will catch 9" fish, 9 pound fish, and all 9 of 'em that are in that stretch of grass!! laugh wink

I don't mind catching fish any certain way, but if I had to label myself I'm way more of a finesse guy. I don't like big profile baits no matter how I'm fishing. Now, don't misunderstand that, I spend a lot of time and have lots of success with big crankbaits, big worms, and even up to 8" flutter spoons, but that's OFFSHORE. You'll not often see me big-profile-power-fishing along the bank.

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 02:17 PM

Ruffles my feathers (jokingly) to hear someone say, "I'm fishing for 5 bites." Why?????? The implication is big fish won't hit small lures, and that's complete horse-dung. In the past 10 years I'd say 80% of the fish I've caught over 5 pounds have been on finesse baits, many on 1/16oz lures.

Had a guy in the boat with me the other day, he insisted on pitching this black/blue jig the size of a Datsun hubcap under docks. Seriously, the profile of that thing was the size of your palm!! He was "fishing for 5 bites", he got NO bites. But that joker was confident, all day long, stuck with it! LOL
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 02:23 PM

It depends on the situation. Sometimes a really big jig is called (Mop jig) for like the one designed to catch big bass on Clarkshill when they are feeding on schools of blue herring. It is as big as a softball. If conditions are tough, I'll break out a bitsy bug sized jig. Not the one Strike king makes tho. I like at least a 3/0 hook in all my jigs. I believe in doing what puts fish in the boat. I enjoy catching a bunch each trip too. While I may be able to only weigh 5, I want to load the boat. grin
Posted By: Heath

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 02:43 PM

I will not fish a carolina rig. Unless it's spring and I can catch them on crankbait I will be throwing a shakey head on the Coosa lakes at all times. I d not throw a jig either. My opinion is I can get a shakey head in the same places a jig will go.

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

All of them. I don't like the flappy-legged versions (like Horny Toads), don't like the hollow body ones, or any other version. 99% of the time in grass (ie: water willows, shoreline grass) I'll swim a jig, or buzzbait, or what I've primarily gone to these days is a wacky rigged finesse worm.

Gotcha ... Well, I like 'em, esp when a bass blows up on 'em; I kinda get a good laugh about it, like I do when a gobbler tears up a jake decoy & kicks 'em off the stakes ... I fish a lot of topwater -- mostly poppers & now these whopper ploppers ... I just enjoy seeing bass blow it out of the water & get hooked ...

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 03:27 PM

I'll note a difference though... I have some of the Lunkerhunt frogs, and I can take them to the local watersheds and the bass will destroy them. I mean you can make a round in the flat bottom and catch 25 good bass on those frogs. But the big river system fish don't do the same... yeah, I can get a blow up on em, but I just catch a lot more fish (same quality) on other things.
Posted By: biglmbass

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 03:40 PM

I'm done w' a Carolina rig. It's never worked for me and I tried a bunch. I keep coming back to ol' reliable. Typically a 3/16 oz jig. Larger if needed
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 04:44 PM

I don't use jigs for bass. I love spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, topwater plugs, cranks and traps, and even plastic worms, frogs, and swimbaits...just never took a liking to jigs.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 04:55 PM

I've caught more than I can count on all baits mentioned except the A-rig. Don't and won't own one. Threw a friends a few times one day and that was enough. Guess I'm just old school.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 05:52 PM

x3 on the a-rig. Owned one for an afternoon (clearanced at the walmarks). After it hung below a dam, I have never messed with another.
Posted By: James

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 06:37 PM

Ploppper

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 07:25 PM

I have absolutely donked 'em on a Carolina rig for years and years now. Probably caught a dozen or so on it this past Saturday. I especially like the C rig in the Spring of the year, it is a mofo on bedding spots!!
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 07:35 PM

Deep diving crankbait. I'm more of a shore fisherman
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/20/17 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: CarbonClimber1
Ive put a hurtin onem with a chrome blue RT when they in big schools runnin shad round bridges an stuff. Never liked carolina rigs.. Texas rig worked just as good minus all that swivel baloney

Like thumbup but bass fishing is still queer as a 3 dollar bill
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/21/17 12:09 AM

I love jigs. Jigs catch big bass. Period. I don't like throwing buzzbaits but I will throw them. If I have to throw a buzzbait I'm gonna pull the skirt off and put a buzz frog on it with a trailer hook pinned in place.
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/21/17 08:53 AM

I will not throw an a-rig. Too many other options that work. And I hate fishing a jerk bait in the winter, but I have to because they are money makers at times.
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/21/17 10:25 AM

3/4 or 1 oz trap in chrome will catch the heck out of the kings in the gulf, 1/2 oz trap in gold with red back will make a bull red go mad also.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/21/17 10:54 AM

I cannot stand throwing a carolina rig. I'd rather have my teeth pulled.

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/21/17 07:42 PM

I am very surprised how many folks don't like Carolina rigs! Of all plastics presentations, I can't think of anything else with better "feel".
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/21/17 09:25 PM

I hear so much talk about frogs, and I almost never use frogs. I've just always found I could catch those fish with something better (to me). I would probably only use a frog in "slop" that nothing else could come through, but I basically never fish that kind of water.

I used to fish with a buddy a lot on lay and one spot we always hit was this little pocket of the thickest nastiest slimiest weed mats you could imagine and absolute whack the bass in there with frogs in the heat of the summer. It was amazing and still one of favorite lures to throw.
One bait I neglect is a spinner bait. I just never throw one even though
I know they are really effective.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/21/17 11:05 PM

I went "punching" with my nephew one afternoon a few weeks ago. I know that's an effective way to fish but I just didn't enjoy it.
Posted By: Waldo

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/22/17 08:37 AM

I can't think of anything I wouldn't throw if it will catch a bass.

I am not a huge fan of the A rig but at certain times I throw that sucker until my arm about falls off.
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/22/17 10:07 AM

Deep diving jitterbug???????? laugh

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/23/17 06:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Drake322

On a Carolina Rig! grin
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/23/17 08:25 AM

I don't throw spinner baits hardly at all. I also don't care for a whopper plopper- I really tried but put it down to throw my pop-r and went back to catching them
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/23/17 09:18 AM

On a Carolina Rig! grin

Hey, I know guys that use small rapalas on Carolina rigs with great success.

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/23/17 07:33 PM

On a Carolina Rig! grin

Or pointers. During spawn.

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/25/17 09:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Jpipererp

On a Carolina Rig! grin

I've played with that...not as easy as it seems. Had some issues with the leader line staying hung in the hooks.
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/25/17 01:41 PM

Drop shot. I'm sure they work in the summer but it's not as fun to me.
I love fishing with a jig and a fat craw on it.

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/25/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpipererp

On a Carolina Rig! grin

I've played with that...not as easy as it seems. Had some issues with the leader line staying hung in the hooks.

All in the retrieve. Sweep it. It's a hassle sometimes but they see that thing peck at the bottom and point at it and they will smash it
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/25/17 11:22 PM

Can't believe what some of y'all don't throw! Put me down for weightless worms. A senko ain't a worm, they're senkos.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Popular lure that you DON'T use??? - 07/26/17 11:07 AM

Here's a tip. When there is good current flowing on the Bama or the Bigbee, you can pull up on the backside of those rock wingdams and absolutely kill the big spots carolina rigging a zoom super fluke.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM