Aldeer.com

Smithwick lures

Posted By: perchjerker

Smithwick lures - 07/17/17 02:53 PM

They made some of the very best Bass lures ever made. Devils Horse, Rogue, NoNo Spinnerbait. They also had deep divers similar to Bombers or Hellbenders named Rooters. One of the very best early plastic crankbaits. BoJack, I had a box full that was stolen while at a weigh in. They also got a box full of Bagleys. In the days before boats had lockable storeage, and only single cab pickups.

Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Smithwick lures - 07/17/17 02:59 PM

Love me a rogue

Re: Smithwick lures - 07/17/17 03:05 PM

Caught'em up to 9 pounds on a rogue . Lost a monster on Conroe once. I had it at the boat, it dove one last time. All I got back was from line tie to diving lip. They catch fish everywhere. Smithwick made small, Med and large ones. Hooks were worthless.
The Redfin was popular then, but it had no action compared to a rogue nor the great paint jobs.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Smithwick lures - 07/17/17 03:25 PM

Interesting seeing some of those colors on the charts, and hearing "new color!" on some lures today. Almost nothing is new. LOL

Tough to beat a Rogue. Look at what Van Dam throws a lot: spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, crankbaits. Reaction baits that mimic shad. He'll throw a worm or jig if need be but that's not the center of his wheelhouse. Wasn't surprised when he won the 2005 Classic on an old Rogue.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Smithwick lures - 07/17/17 10:07 PM

I do not remember their diving plugs, but have caught a truck load on a coach dog colored devil's horse.

Re: Smithwick lures - 07/18/17 10:13 AM

The perch color worked best for me. I liked the devils toothpick too. I admit at around 18 I went top water crazy. The crazy ape color was just weird to me.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Smithwick lures - 07/18/17 03:06 PM

Perch, I was just going to say that the toothpick is the best topwater they made in my opinion. Very subtle. Deadly on bass and speckled trout. It is unequivocally the best top water speck bait you can throw. Dont know why they quit making them. I havent seen one other than those in my box in probably 15-20 years.

Re: Smithwick lures - 07/18/17 05:44 PM

Probably because they sold the company. They are a PRADCO company now. I loved the toothpick too. I never have used topwater lures in salt water. I have seen monster reds in Mobile in Grand Bay while I was throwing a buzzbait and never got a strike.

Re: Smithwick lures - 07/18/17 06:09 PM

Fuzzy here is a rooter.

Posted By: woodduck

Re: Smithwick lures - 07/18/17 10:35 PM

First time I used a rattling rogue was on Toledo bend years ago. They tore that thing up

Re: Smithwick lures - 07/18/17 11:12 PM

Wood, when they first came out there were no rattles. I drilled and added them to mine.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM