Aldeer.com

Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville

Posted By: Clem

Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/19/17 09:19 AM

Any of you guys know whether the river is wadable -- no deeper than your waist -- at the Oscar Patterson Road takeout and/or anywhere else accessible out in New Market?

Thinking of maybe doing some wading this weekend.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/19/17 02:31 PM

Post up a report. I might want to join you sometime.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/19/17 09:45 PM

Not doing this weekend but we'll be out in the yaks soon and will let you know.

Re: Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/19/17 11:03 PM

I went by the McMullen put-in (which is trashy as schitt because of mouthbreathing POS people) this afternoon to get a take on the water.

For no rain, it looked damned high for wading. The downstream river below the bridge has some good hard-bottom spots but also some mushy-mucky-soft "Oh shitshitshitshittttt" spots where the wrong step puts your tits in the water. Not fun. It all shifts when there's high water and flooding.

Couldn't tell much about upstream. The water was dirty all over, but clear under the bridge. Just didn't look like good wading water right now in that area.

I may slip out to New Market tomorrow to poke around.

AC870, I have another place you and I might try. Will be in touch. Need to get up with Goober and Gomer about going gigging again, too.
Posted By: TravisBatey

Re: Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/19/17 11:08 PM

I've got a customer that lives on Michael drive between Winchester rd and 72. He alswaystells me he catches fish throught there, I know for a fact it's wadable. We caught some fish from ryland to 72. It's a good stretch and mostly waist deep with some deeper banks.

We are going to float from ryland to 72 or a stretch of the paint rock tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what we see where ever we go.

Re: Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/19/17 11:21 PM

10-4. Thanks!

I floated Oscar Patterson to Winchester Road about 20 years ago, and Dennis McGehee had a canoe livery there at the Winchester bridge. Nice guy. Never have been anywhere between Winchester and McMullen. Hope to float it all at some point.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/19/17 11:29 PM

From Oscar patterson to the Winchester bridge most of it it wade-able. There are some places that are deep and you will have to walk the bank around. But we have caught some good small mouth in the deeper holes. I like taking a small fly and toss it under the branches that are on the shore, gets bites on bass and bream. Have fun Watch for snakes on the banks. There is also a tractor crossing on the flint, access from homer nance Rd. fished it since 5th grade. it gets a good bit of pressure now, but it use to be a great place to catch small and large mouth just before dark.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/19/17 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: mcninja
Not doing this weekend but we'll be out in the yaks soon and will let you know.
Are you know?
Posted By: TravisBatey

Re: Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/20/17 07:51 AM

We need to get us an Aldeer float trip together soon! If someone doesn't have a canoe or kayak they could be rented at NACK for $35-40 I believe.

That'd have to be a good time!
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/21/17 04:59 PM

"Oh shitshitshitttt" spots. rofl

Man, that's the best way to describe it
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Wading the Flint River in New Market-Huntsville - 05/21/17 08:24 PM

We floated the Paint Rock this weekend. Everyone in our group except me and my wife had their own canoes or kayaks. We rented from Paint Rock Canoe and Kayak. Anybody looking to float a river and needing to rent should check these guys out. Super good people from our experience.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM