Aldeer.com

Battery Tender Plus on Marine/Deep Cycle 12V battery?

Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Battery Tender Plus on Marine/Deep Cycle 12V battery? - 05/15/17 03:21 PM

Hey everybody, have a technical Q for the folks on here; I need to get a trolling motor for my jon boat, which means I'll need to get a deep cycle battery... I have the trickle charger in the pic below that I've used for years on my motorcycles, lawn mowers, etc. Can I use this charger with a marine/deep cycle battery, as well, or do I need to get another "deep cycle" charger specifically for my trolling motor battery?

Much thanks in advance!
BGD

Posted By: workn4livn

Re: Battery Tender Plus on Marine/Deep Cycle 12V battery? - 05/15/17 03:32 PM

It should work fine as long as you don't run the battery completely dead saturday evening and want a hot battery sunday morning

Re: Battery Tender Plus on Marine/Deep Cycle 12V battery? - 05/15/17 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: workn4livn
It should work fine as long as you don't run the battery completely dead saturday evening and want a hot battery sunday morning

Gotcha; so what you're saying is a charger specific for deep cycle will juice the battery a lot quicker, huh?
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Battery Tender Plus on Marine/Deep Cycle 12V battery? - 05/15/17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: BamaGuitarDude
Originally Posted By: workn4livn

Gotcha; so what you're saying is a charger specific for deep cycle will juice the battery a lot quicker, huh?

No he is saying at 1.25 amps that dead battery won't be charged the next morning.
Posted By: riverrat

Re: Battery Tender Plus on Marine/Deep Cycle 12V battery? - 05/15/17 04:43 PM

A deep cycle battery needs to be charged at much higher amps. The life of a DC is throwing the juice to it as fast as the juice is pulled from it. Improper charging is why most folks only get a few years out of there batteries. I'm pushing 15amp per bank and never let them sit drained. Going on the 8th year on the batteries I have now
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Battery Tender Plus on Marine/Deep Cycle 12V battery? - 05/15/17 09:09 PM

this has worked for me 6 years on the same deep cycle batteries. when I get in from fishing I plug in the on board charger for 24 to 36 hours. then I have a plug in time that that chargers the battery for 1 hour every 7 hours. when I'm going to fish the next day I turn time to continuously on the day before I go. yes kinda of a lot of work but batteries aint cheap

Re: Battery Tender Plus on Marine/Deep Cycle 12V battery? - 05/16/17 08:39 AM

Alright, thanks for all the replies; beginning to see that the charger/tender I have is not equipped for the job at hand... Appreciate all the replies, guys!

BGD
© 2024 ALDEER.COM