Aldeer.com

Tn River

Posted By: bloodtrail

Tn River - 04/23/17 08:06 PM

Is gonna be moving a BUNCH of water! Read that Chick and Nick rose way over full pool today, tva said there gonna hold that water to prevent flooding down stream. Kentucky lake is gonna take 170,000 in and release 130,00.
Posted By: William

Re: Tn River - 04/23/17 08:12 PM

What's that gonna mean for Guntersville this weekend?
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Tn River - 04/23/17 08:49 PM

I could have used some of that current on Miller's ferry this weekend. Zero current and wind plowing up river at 20mph makes it hard to catch catfish.

Re: Tn River - 04/23/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: William
What's that gonna mean for Guntersville this weekend?

You feel comfortable fishing offshore at Gville? May not be many fish out there, but I'd dang sure look and see!
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Tn River - 04/24/17 01:45 PM

Today's release is over 124,000 at G dam. I expect it to remain that way all week.

Re: Tn River - 04/24/17 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bloodtrail

You feel comfortable fishing offshore at Gville? May not be many fish out there, but I'd dang sure look and see!

Define offshore. Main river ledges or humps in Alreds or just not beating the bank?

One of the best days fishing I've ever had was in May on Gville. We threw a 3/4oz spinnerbait on a main river ledge all day for 23 lbs. I'd love to go do that again.

What's the water flow been recently? I don't follow it much and frankly can't quantify the Corps measurement in my head.

ETA: Just checked the TVA site. Yesterday they were averaging about 30K hourly. Today they are averaging 120K. That's a big difference. Any of you Gville guys know where that will position the fish?
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Tn River - 04/24/17 06:14 PM

I know our forklift ramp is underwater at the shop. I was trying to put a boat on the trailer and it looked like whole islands floating by. Current was pushing 4mph this afternoon.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Tn River - 04/24/17 06:18 PM

How will this effect below the dam at Wilson? Will there be a lot of water there too?
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Tn River - 04/24/17 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
How will this effect below the dam at Wilson? Will there be a lot of water there too?

Yes, there will ba a LOT of water there. Spillways will be open. Wilson is not a very big lake so there's no where for the water to back up like Guntersville. I read today that Kentucky Dam was already running 1.1 million gallons per second thru their turbines and started spilling more as the big flow will be there by Thursday. Closer to us, Florence Harbor and golf course will be flooded by Thursday

Re: Tn River - 04/24/17 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasNative
Today's release is over 124,000 at G dam. I expect it to remain that way all week.

They ran over 160,000 cubit feet per sec midday today, suppose to be mid 130,000's rest of the week.

Re: Tn River - 04/24/17 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: bloodtrail

Define offshore. Main river ledges or humps in Alreds or just not beating the bank?

One of the best days fishing I've ever had was in May on Gville. We threw a 3/4oz spinnerbait on a main river ledge all day for 23 lbs. I'd love to go do that again.

What's the water flow been recently? I don't follow it much and frankly can't quantify the Corps measurement in my head.

ETA: Just checked the TVA site. Yesterday they were averaging about 30K hourly. Today they are averaging 120K. That's a big difference. Any of you Gville guys know where that will position the fish?

Pm sent
Posted By: dnolen

Re: Tn River - 04/24/17 10:45 PM

Clark if you go keep a eye out. If you haven't been on the river with water moving like that. It can get ugly fast. I've seen trees with the root ball floating by that only surfaced for a second or two and went back down. Also bouys is will be under water.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Tn River - 04/25/17 08:39 AM

I have to be at Kentucky Dam Village State Park this weekend for an event. It's pretty incredible to see any dam open and blowing water, but KyDam is huge and it's wild when the gates are open there.

I guess it was three years ago, maybe, when it rained so much and the lake rose to the point that water was going over AND through the dam up there.

Anyone on the river this week or weekend, be careful.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Tn River - 04/25/17 08:53 AM

It's not the water moving so fast - it's all the stuff in the water that's moving with it. Trees and dock parts are unforgiving.

Please be careful.

Re: Tn River - 04/25/17 09:22 AM

Originally Posted By: dnolen
Clark if you go keep a eye out. If you haven't been on the river with water moving like that. It can get ugly fast. I've seen trees with the root ball floating by that only surfaced for a second or two and went back down. Also bouys is will be under water.

I've been on smaller rivers with water like that. I'm pretty sure I'll keep my butt at home. I can fish the lake for a week until things get back to normal. I've got a big tough boat but there's no need to take unnecessary chances. Stuff can happen quick.Thanks buddy!
Posted By: hootie

Re: Tn River - 04/25/17 11:56 AM

guntersville is up a couple of feet this morning, a lot of wood and grass islands floating downstream, use caution.

Re: Tn River - 04/25/17 12:16 PM

With all the eelgrass in G'ville, maybe some will break loose, then catch and take hold in Wheeler. Lord knows it could use some help with some kind of vegetation.

Re: Tn River - 04/25/17 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
With all the eelgrass in G'ville, maybe some will break loose, then catch and take hold in Wheeler. Lord knows it could use some help with some kind of vegetation.

I got the director of Alabama Fisheries coming to speak to our club sometime in the Fall. Why does Wheeler suck, is among many questions we have for the guy.
Posted By: gman

Re: Tn River - 04/25/17 01:42 PM

You can't tell me with all the chopping and boats running and all that, that SOME grass couldn't get thru the dam and find it's way to the flats and start growing? Whatever herbicide they used to kill it has some REALLY good residual effect.

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 10:55 AM

I almost hit a railroad tie going back to the ramp yesterday.

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 12:08 PM

did you get your key switch fixed? I'm assuming so lol

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Hevishot13

I found what color wire performs which function. Trouble was, the instructions didn't say which wire goes to which letter on the back of the switch. 6 different ways to screw it up. I finally found a diagram on the net that showed me the proper sequence. I had her running in 30 minutes.

I didn't want to call you, but I REALLY wanted to go fishing!

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 05:29 PM

I found what color wire performs which function. Trouble was, the instructions didn't say which wire goes to which letter on the back of the switch. 6 different ways to screw it up. I finally found a diagram on the net that showed me the proper sequence. I had her running in 30 minutes.

I didn't want to call you, but I REALLY wanted to go fishing!

What brand switch was it? Most every one I've seen had diagrams and instructions in the pack with it
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 07:34 PM

Couple guys got killed today on TN River

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben2
Couple guys got killed today on TN River

Terrible news. Any word of how it happened Ben? I always want to know so if possible I can avoid anything like that.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 07:58 PM

http://www.wsmv.com/story/35258856/2-boaters-killed-when-boat-goes-over-spillway-at-pickwick-dam
Posted By: N_AL_Slugger

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 07:58 PM

What a nightmare.

Any idea what conditions would be like Saturday morning below Wheeler dam? Tyrying to put the weekend plans together.

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 08:57 PM

Just dang.

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: N_AL_Slugger
What a nightmare.

Any idea what conditions would be like Saturday morning below Wheeler dam? Tyrying to put the weekend plans together.

I'd forget it and wait a week or so. This rain that's coming tonight is gonna add to what's already being released. Saturday will be even more water flowing.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Tn River - 04/26/17 09:54 PM

They're warning folks not to be boating anywhere on the TN river in next few days slugger

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: N_AL_Slugger
What a nightmare.

Not worth it my friend.I'll be staying away until the water is back to normal.
Posted By: N_AL_Slugger

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 05:39 AM

10-4. Didn't know how long it took to get things back to Normal pool.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 08:20 AM

If I understood it right, 120K cf of water a second? That's a lot of water. Slugger...hit the backwaters...lotta fish in the bushes right now...

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 08:25 AM

The most water I've ever seen coming thru Guntersville dam was several years ago when there was barely any drop to it as it came thru the flood gates. Water covered the road on the south side of the river from the Welcome Center to the boat ramp. I have pics somewhere and will post when I find them.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 08:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
The most water I've ever seen coming thru Guntersville dam was several years ago when there was barely any drop to it as it came thru the flood gates. Water covered the road on the south side of the river from the Welcome Center to the boat ramp. I have pics somewhere and will post when I find them.

I'd love to see that if you can find them. That'd be a heck of a sight. I've seen it high but not like that.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
They're warning folks not to be boating anywhere on the TN river in next few days slugger

Wait, what? We have a tournament on Gville this Saturday. Do we need to rethink that?

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 09:45 AM

Big G may be ok? It's a huge watershed and is very much a different animal than the Tn river and the smaller lakes downstream. Current may actually help the fishing?

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag

Wait, what? We have a tournament on Gville this Saturday. Do we need to rethink that?

That rain that came thru last night is up in the tributaries in Tn and the Carolinas now. All that water will be coming thru by Saturday. There'll be a lot of 'stuff' in the current thru at least next weekend. Whole trees, driftwood, grass mats and anything that will float that has been 10 feet up on the bank will be coming downstream. Then, on Sunday we're supposed to get a LOT of rain.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 10:40 AM

What brand switch was it? Most every one I've seen had diagrams and instructions in the pack with it

Sierra. It was the only one I could find for my 96 Johnson on iboats.com.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 01:33 PM

Quote:

I would certainly take a hard, hard look at rescheduling if possible. As Wiley said, there's a lot of chit in the water that's already high, more rain fell or is on the way, and the current's rough.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 01:47 PM

I would certainly take a hard, hard look at rescheduling if possible. As Wiley said, there's a lot of chit in the water that's already high, more rain fell or is on the way, and the current's rough.

Damn. Looks like we are going regardless. Guessing I should try and stay off the main river then? Find a place to hide in Alred's or Seibold for the day?

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 02:49 PM

What ramp are y'all launching at?

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 03:05 PM

Like Wiley said, it may depend on the ramp y'all are launching from and how many boats.

If you were in Brown's, for example, with a club tourney then IMO y'all could fish in there and on the river side (north side) of the causeway. Anyone adventurous who wanted to get further could do so.

Finding a few coves to hide in and flip bushes, throw spinnerbaits, frogs, etc., in the flooded chitz might pay off. I'd certainly have a frog, jig, T-rigged worm or tube and maybe a spinnerbait tied on.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 03:34 PM

We are putting in at Spring Creek. My plan was to stay in Alred's all day fishing various humps and whatnot.

ETA: In order to maintain the depth required for navigation, the water level in the reservoir is maintained at a minimum winter elevation of 593 feet. The typical summer operating range is between 594 and 595 feet.

TVA has it currently at 594.6. Seems about right?

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 03:37 PM

Could be fine in there, especially if they're moving water and the current's positioning anything on points, humps, etc.

When y'all have fished around Alred's have you ever been around the docks and gotten bitched at by anyone? The BASS and FLW guys always seem to have problems in there even though the water is public.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 03:40 PM

I always thought the docks on Gville were more ornamental than anything else. I've caught fish around them, but never thought it would be a winning pattern.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 04:01 PM

Alred's actually has signs on the slips that say "No casting into slips". I suppose that more than one of those million dollar boats have has sinkers, lures and what not bounced off them and probably some minor damage.

Putting in at Spring Creek will give you all of Spring Creek, Polecat Holler, the feed mills, LOTS of rip rap/structure and lots of docks without ever having to cross the river channel

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 04:11 PM

I'm sure boats have been dinged but putting up a dock doesn't give anyone or a marina owner supreme control over the water under it. If someone comes out to their dock in Spring or Mink or somewhere and tells a fisherman "you can't fish around my dock!" it's just as open there as it is in Alred's. IMO a bunch of bullchit that they're able to run off anglers.

Agree about Spring. Y'all should be OK in there and able to move around some.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 04:18 PM

Clem, I remember some women who lived on house boats/yachts at the Harbor House(now City Harbor). They fed the bream loaf bread bits and really fattened them up. They'd get really pissed and try to run me off when I showed up on the bank with crickets and pulled a limit of "their" fat bream out and headed home smile

And I agree that marina's don't own the water and have no right to limit the fishing of that water.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 04:24 PM

You leave THEIR bream alone, sir! laugh
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 04:59 PM

I'm sure boats have been dinged but putting up a dock doesn't give anyone or a marina owner supreme control over the water under it. If someone comes out to their dock in Spring or Mink or somewhere and tells a fisherman "you can't fish around my dock!" it's just as open there as it is in Alred's. IMO a bunch of bullchit that they're able to run off anglers.

Agree about Spring. Y'all should be OK in there and able to move around some.

I'd tell them to call the police....then when the police got there:

Code of Alabama. Title 9. Conservation and Natural Resources. Chapter 11. Fish, Game, and Wildlife. Article 8A. . Interference with Legal Hunting or Fishing.
Posted By: PRB

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 08:57 PM

I think you'll be fine on the lake. I fished yesterday, until dark, from Browns Creek and as far north as Signal Point and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The water level is about the same as it's been for the past couple of weeks.

Below the dam would be a different story.

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 09:31 PM

Prayers for the family who lost love ones.
Y'all be safe this weekend!

Re: Tn River - 04/27/17 09:44 PM

The local news actually said the river crested today and will be steady to dropping till the Sunday monsoon gets here.

Re: Tn River - 04/28/17 07:42 AM

Good news.
Posted By: bamapanic

Re: Tn River - 05/03/17 02:19 PM

When will all this mess be over? Planning on hitting the river Friday and Saturday
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Tn River - 05/03/17 08:57 PM

Looked pretty tranquil on it today. That was from the hwy 31 bridge the 6 times I went over it tiday
© 2024 ALDEER.COM