Posted By: G/H

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/16/17 09:33 PM

Sweet
Posted By: Bait57

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/16/17 09:44 PM

Nice one
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 06:33 AM

I must be snakebit bc I haven't caught one single fish on it. But hopefully that will change soon
Posted By: Myerz

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 08:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaneomac2
I must be snakebit bc I haven't caught one single fish on it. But hopefully that will change soon

Me either - I hooked a small one on Smith lake with it about a week ago one evening but it came off on the way back to the boat and that's it. I've got the 90 white and char. one.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Myerz

Me either - I hooked a small one on Smith lake with it about a week ago one evening but it came off on the way back to the boat and that's it. I've got the 90 white and char. one.
how are yall fishing it?

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 10:40 AM

I have tried various retrieves. stop and start, just plain reeling slow or fast,even working it like a pop r

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 10:44 AM

I have tried various retrieves. stop and start, just plain reeling slow or fast,even working it like a pop r

The stop and go has been the most productive for me

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 10:45 AM

Unless they are super aggressive then ill burn it in
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 10:46 AM

I've tried slow-stead, faster-steady, and stop-go. The slow steady has worked best but all 3 have caught fish. If I see some good looking cover I'll work a little twitch or pause or something in there, and that seems to be productive.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 10:51 AM

Thanks guys may try it this weekend on g-ville

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb

how are yall fishing it?

So far I've kept a slow steady retrieve bc if I speed up any the prop on it don't turn good and it turns up on it's side. I've tried to doing it like a pop r a few times and jerking it but like I said I haven't tried doing that much - to keep it from turning do u try a small swivel or a loop knot?? I've tied a regular polymer knot on it every time so far
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 12:37 PM

I've got one but it's hard to put down the gun fish when they are hitting top.
Posted By: Drew11

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 12:45 PM

I finally got one to hit the plopper early Saturday on Holt, unfortunately it probably only weighed 12oz....
Posted By: Clem

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 01:51 PM

Quote:
So far I've kept a slow steady retrieve bc if I speed up any the prop on it don't turn good and it turns up on it's side.

This is why I don't like the 90, the small one. I have to wind it slow to get the plop-plop-plop sound and if anything happens - wave, line gets underwater, speed up - it stops working correctly. I've retrieved it by burning, going fast, moderate, slow enough to plop and even slower.

I'm not sold on the 90 yet, but won't give up. But the 130, I love. Throw, wind it fast and the eat it.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 02:35 PM

That's a nice one!

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:
So far I've kept a slow steady retrieve bc if I speed up any the prop on it don't turn good and it turns up on it's side.

This is why I don't like the 90, the small one. I have to wind it slow to get the plop-plop-plop sound and if anything happens - wave, line gets underwater, speed up - it stops working correctly. I've retrieved it by burning, going fast, moderate, slow enough to plop and even slower.

I'm not sold on the 90 yet, but won't give up. But the 130, I love. Throw, wind it fast and the eat it.

The 90 is my bread and butter i havent ran into the rolling issue
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 03:30 PM

Went to Cabelas today to get a 90 and they were sold slap out! cry
Posted By: .308

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 03:31 PM

I've not caught any on the 130 but have done well with the 90. The 90 is a little tricky on the start of the retrieve.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 05:56 PM

Quote:

The 90 is my bread and butter i havent ran into the rolling issue

Same.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 06:01 PM

One reason I was wondering about adding a split ring to the smaller 90. May have to try that next. Just gotta keep throwing it.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: IDOT

Because Beadlescomb is on the pro staff for Whopper Plopper now. laugh

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: AC870

Lol i just love to find a new lure and learn everything i can about it

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 09:19 PM

Asshole, you coulda left me atleast one grin
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/17/17 10:27 PM

I have thrown the WP very little but I didn't have any problem with the 90 rolling over. I tried all manners of retrieve. I tie a canoe man loop knot on all my crankbaits and topwater baits that have a solid ring to tie to.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/18/17 07:03 AM

Asshole, you coulda left me atleast one grin

Ive been called worse by better
Posted By: James

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/20/17 01:13 AM

thumbup
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/20/17 04:37 AM

I bought 2 of the 130's the other day. I'm headed out this morning to see if these lay lake stripe like em.
Posted By: CrimsonWSM

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/20/17 04:46 AM

First i have heard of it.I may have to get a couple of um.
Posted By: Jus_me

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/20/17 05:20 AM

I use a twitch and stop retrieve. Seems to work the best for me. I've tried the slow retrieve but have a problem keeping it on top of the water with as far as you can throw the danger thing. It's a fish catching machine, I'll say that.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/20/17 02:51 PM

It's a floating bait so it won't sink. If you stop the retrieve the tail sinks, on a diagonal, and then it starts up again once you begin the retrieve.

I throw the 130 as far as I can. Flies like a missile on 30-pound braid.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/20/17 03:04 PM

Found a good supply and selection in Gville at GTO on the 90's. Decent price as well for $12.99ea. Its on this weekend!! grin

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/20/17 08:02 PM

Better fish below the dam for fewer boats this weekend. At least one big tourney on the pond, I think that starts Friday. Maybe Saturday. Either way, bunch of boats.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/20/17 08:06 PM

Dang...oh well. The lake is at full pool right now. Should be on fire this weekend.
Posted By: Ryano

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/20/17 09:04 PM

Better fish below the dam for fewer boats this weekend. At least one big tourney on the pond, I think that starts Friday. Maybe Saturday. Either way, bunch of boats.

I think there is a catfish tournament below the dam this weekend.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/20/17 09:06 PM

LOL....gonna be a fun weekend

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/21/17 08:53 PM

Got to my buddy's property about 5:30 to walk and look for tracks and listen for turkeys. About 6:30 I started throwing the WP 90 in his lake.

Had a near/2-pounder hit it and damned near scared me. It sucked in the back treble to the back of its tongue and the front one was jammed under its jaw on the outside, somehow. I don't know how that happened but it was hell getting the hooks out without tearing its throat apart.

I thought it was a bigger fish at first. Jeepers.

Stopped by his other lake on the way out and caught four or five squeakers and one that was maybe 1.5 pounds. It did the same thing as the first one. Almost killed it trying to get the hooks out.

Damnation, topwaters are fun.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 04/21/17 09:55 PM

Got to my buddy's property about 5:30 to walk and look for tracks and listen for turkeys. About 6:30 I started throwing the WP 90 in his lake.

Had a near/2-pounder hit it and damned near scared me. It sucked in the back treble to the back of its tongue and the front one was jammed under its jaw on the outside, somehow. I don't know how that happened but it was hell getting the hooks out without tearing its throat apart.

I thought it was a bigger fish at first. Jeepers.

Stopped by his other lake on the way out and caught four or five squeakers and one that was maybe 1.5 pounds. It did the same thing as the first one. Almost killed it trying to get the hooks out.

Damnation, topwaters are fun.

ive had a couple that were hooked so deep i ended up keeping them
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 05:04 PM

Just picked up a 90 at Lucky's in Pell City. This darn thing better catch some fish. Will find out this Saturday morning.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 05:21 PM

i still have yet to catch a fish on this dayum thing..

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 06:00 PM

I think they work much better when it's windy

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 08:08 PM

An update to my last comment on this thread - I finally called River to Sea and told them that mine wasn't working right (whole plopper was spinning w/ very little action on the tail end). They asked me what type of line I was using and I told them fluoro. They told me to switch to 20 lb braid and if that didn't work to call them back and they'd "fix me up." Don't know what that meant exactly but I'm gonna try it to see if it helps.
Posted By: icducks

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 08:18 PM

An update to my last comment on this thread - I finally called River to Sea and told them that mine wasn't working right (whole plopper was spinning w/ very little action on the tail end). They asked me what type of line I was using and I told them fluoro. They told me to switch to 20 lb braid and if that didn't work to call them back and they'd "fix me up." Don't know what that meant exactly but I'm gonna try it to see if it helps.

Fluor sinks therefor no good for top water fishing really. I have used it for top water baits before but only for certain situations. Don't really need braid though. I like a good 17-20 lb mono myself
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: icducks

Fluor sinks therefor no good for top water fishing really. I have used it for top water baits before but only for certain situations. Don't really need braid though. I like a good 17-20 lb mono myself

Why do you like 17-20 lb mono over braid?

I use 65 lb braid on mine and can't think of any reason to use anything else.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben2
[quote=Myerz]An update to my last comment on this thread - I finally called River to Sea and told them that mine wasn't working right (whole plopper was spinning w/ very little action on the tail end). They asked me what type of line I was using and I told them fluoro. They told me to switch to 20 lb braid and if that didn't work to call them back and they'd "fix me up." Don't know what that meant exactly but I'm gonna try it to see if it helps.

Why do you like 17-20 lb mono over braid?

I use 65 lb braid on mine and can't think of any reason to use anything else. [/quote

Cast ability and mono isn't as visible as braid. Not that either really matter that much around here and I am not really a fan of braid.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 09:31 PM

Very interesting. Cause I think icducks knows his business.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 10:08 PM

I prefer 30-pound (or bigger) braid but have tried the 130 WP on big fluoro like icducks suggests and it's fine. Just your preference which to use. The mono gives you a bit of stretch, too.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 10:28 PM

I have been throwing the whopper plopped 190 on braid. And one day I will catch a bass on that thing.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 10:43 PM

I have been throwing the whopper plopped 190 on braid. And one day I will catch a bass on that thing.

id probably throw that one on 65 braid

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/11/17 10:44 PM

i throw the 90 on 12-14lb mono and a 7 foot veritas winch cranking rod. i hate throwing treble hook baits on braid

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/12/17 04:04 AM

I use a braid main line and a mono leader. The mono floats so it helps with not getting your hooks tangled with your line witch it dosent happen much with the wp but happens a lot with other top water baits. I also like to tie a repala knot. It gives u a little more action with top water baits
Posted By: .308

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/12/17 06:23 AM

I won a tourney using a 130 & #50 braid. If the fish are in the mood they won't care & I didn't want to take a chance on breaking off a money fish. It was so easy I almost felt like I was cheating.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/12/17 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By: .308
I won a tourney using a 130 & #50 braid. If the fish are in the mood they won't care & I didn't want to take a chance on breaking off a money fish. It was so easy I almost felt like I was cheating.

id be more worried about pulling a hook
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/12/17 08:59 AM

Buddy caught a 7 pounder on one last Sunday

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/12/17 09:52 PM

Quote:
If the fish are in the mood they won't care & I didn't want to take a chance on breaking off a money fish.

This, mostly the first part. If they hit it they ain't kissin' it or tappin' it or barely getting a hook in the lip. I've yet to see one of any size that didn't knock the poopie out of it and have a mouth-jaw-face-head full of hooks.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/26/17 09:17 PM

Down at our fish camp in Winter Garden, just outside of Orlando for a few days...I had an Academy gift card, so I bought 2 WP's, a 130 and a 90, in "Terminator". Started off throwing the 130, since our lakes here typically give up several 10#+ fish every time we come here. Within a half an hour or so, I'd caught a few small ones, biggest maybe a pound and a half or so. Most impressive part was that every one, even the smallest of them, about 3/4 lb, was on the front hook...not a single short strike! Moved on down the bank a bit and was dragging it past a small patch of grass and lily pads, about 15 feet from me. 2 huge fish came from under the pads racing to the WP. Didn't matter to me which got there first, both looked 7 or 8 pounds apiece! The water exploded under my bait, and I immediately saw that neither fish had won the race...I had both hooked, one on the front hook, one on the back! Good fight until they got close to the bank and fouled in the lily pads. Landed one, lost the one on the tail hook. This lure is awesome! 'Huntress has pics of the one I landed (which was spawned out and light for her size, maybe 5 or 6 pounds), but neither of us is willing to try to take on photobucket on our phones!

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/27/17 07:59 AM

LOL. Such fun when they hit it.

I'm told that a 110 size will be coming out in a few months, sized between the 90 and 130. I'm sure that will probably be hugely popular with bass anglers.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/28/17 09:22 PM

DOA which lake is your fish camp on? Spent a lot of time in that area.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/30/17 08:06 PM

Hickory Nut Lake, off Avalon Rd., is probably the closest named lake. Our place is an old retired citrus grove with about 50 or so chain lakes across 2500 acres. Tons of big bass, tons of hogs, tons of palmetto swamp bottoms with 15 ft tall palmettos, and one wild turkey hen who's decided she wants to be tame democrat instead of a wild turkey...just suddenly stopped being scared of people and started hanging around the camp waiting for whatever gets dropped or tossed her way! When I say suddenly, that's exactly how it happened...there was no hanging around the fringes for a while, or anything like that. Just showed up wild one day, almost tame the next. You can't touch her, but she doesn't even get nervous until you're within 15-20 feet of her. No gobbler, though. She calls every morning, but there's never an answer.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/30/17 08:26 PM

Caught a few more on the WP yesterday, mostly school bass, 1-1.5 lbs or so, but the Boyd Duckett 5" BD Shad was the star producer, adding a 3.5 and a 2 to the cooler.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/30/17 08:30 PM

LOL. Such fun when they hit it.

I'm told that a 110 size will be coming out in a few months, sized between the 90 and 130. I'm sure that will probably be hugely popular with bass anglers.

Yeah, it is...they smash that thing!

I had an Academy gift card, and I always try to use gift cards to buy things I wouldn't ordinarily spend money on. This time I bought the 130 (BIG thumbs up) and 90 (not a single strike on it) WP, plus a WP buzz bait looking thing (never threw it), and the BD Shad (super expensive, at $25, but produced almost as well as the WP 130).
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/31/17 12:37 AM

LOL, I don't see that thang lasting long! I remember when buzzbaits first came out. I heard so much I bought one. When I threw it the first time, I felt such a ripped off fool. Didn't take many casts back then to get eaten up. I had to stop throwing a 1/4 oz on Conroe because I couldn't keep bream off the thing.

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/31/17 05:53 AM

I used to be able to find a tiny, maybe 3/16 oz, inline buzzbait that was great for smaller ponds. It'd tear up the bass, big bream, even caught a catfish on one, once! Never had a bream hit a full sized buzzbait, and I've caught some real nice fish on them, now and again. I've always had them produce better early, rather than late in the day. Early in the morning, a buzzbait is a great way to cover a lot of area and pin down where the fish are. Once the sun's up and the buzzbait stops catching fish, switch to a spinnerbait and keep catching fish for a while longer!

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/31/17 08:19 AM

I looked at that WP buzz thing and opted against it. If I throw a double blade it'll be some of the old Booyah double-buzz models I still have.

For fun fish I usually throw a 3/8-oz Boogerman buzzbait with no skirt and a 3-inch curlytail grub on it. When they bend it so badly that it won't run right I tie on another. Have caught some nice ones on it. Will throw the 1/2-ounce now and then.

I think the WP 90 has its place but I haven't found that place yet. LOL
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/31/17 02:38 PM

I looked at that WP buzz thing and opted against it. If I throw a double blade it'll be some of the old Booyah double-buzz models I still have.

For fun fish I usually throw a 3/8-oz Boogerman buzzbait with no skirt and a 3-inch curlytail grub on it. When they bend it so badly that it won't run right I tie on another. Have caught some nice ones on it. Will throw the 1/2-ounce now and then.

I think the WP 90 has its place but I haven't found that place yet. LOL

You better not tear up all those Boogerman's. They are getting hard to find lol. I like that war eagle buzz bait that you put a horny road on. Buzz toad or something like that. I think that's what Old School was throwing when he won Beaver a few weeks ago

Re: Caught another good one on the whopper plopper - 05/31/17 02:45 PM

He was, and I like that buzzbait-frog combo. You can sling it a mile and it's a big wad of disruption similar to the Plopper but with only one hook instead of two trebles.

I have to talk sweetly to my Boogerman cache and protect 'em. They're definitely not hanging on every peg anymore. Like a few other things, when I find any of them I usually buy all that I see.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM