Aldeer.com

I want to catch some Crappie

Posted By: metalmuncher

I want to catch some Crappie - 03/10/17 09:37 PM

I haven't been after Crappie but a few times in the last couple of years. I'm nearby either Guntersville lower end, Wheeler upper end, or the Coosa from Centre to Ohatchee. I'm not wanting anyone to give away any spots. I am hoping someone can tell me some generalities about whats going on with them in my area right now. Things like depth, water temps, holding to cover or if they are scattered along the channels, under bridges, etc.

I'll probably hit it somewhere Tomorrow afternoon. May have an empty seat also.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/10/17 10:39 PM

I hear their biting good in the Town Creek area on the lower end.Crappie.com is your friend... Several local gys on there also in the Alabama forum.

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/10/17 10:46 PM

Thanks RS. I'll check em out.
Posted By: PRB

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/10/17 11:49 PM

They're scattered right now on the lower end of Guntersville. Wednesday the water temp was 60-61° late in the day. They're slowly starting to move shallow. There are still some fish around bridges early in the mornings. In the afternoon you'll probably be better off finding and fishing structure in 6-10' of water.

The downfall this weekend will be the full moon. Full moon Crappie fishing is frustrating.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/10/17 11:53 PM

Dad kept 20 today fishing a single pole. They were in 20 foot of water holding about 15 foot deep on wood

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/10/17 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: PRB
They're scattered right now on the lower end of Guntersville. Wednesday the water temp was 60-61° late in the day. They're slowly starting to move shallow. There are still some fish around bridges early in the mornings. In the afternoon you'll probably be better off finding and fishing structure in 6-10' of water.

The downfall this weekend will be the full moon. Full moon Crappie fishing is frustrating.

That's what I was looking for. I'm sure all of the rain we got last night isn't going to help matters either.
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/13/17 05:10 PM

I was on the Mississippi side of pickwick Saturday and saw some guys catching them from the bank in a cut in 5 FOW

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/13/17 09:29 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't make it to the water the other day because other obligations sprang up. I've heard reports that cover the spectrum so I guess I'll look at the weather, the water temp, water color, barometer, moon phase, tide charts, almanac, and my horoscope when I do get to head out after them. laugh
Posted By: PRB

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/13/17 10:56 PM

This cold weather will push them back to deeper water and help the bridge fishing.

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/14/17 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: PRB
This cold weather will push them back to deeper water and help the bridge fishing.

My thoughts too. If there's many people at the bridges, I may drag some jigs up and down the channel real slow instead. That was working pretty decent for me 3 or 4 years ago.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/14/17 08:39 PM

As cold as its beem thes past few days the should be rockin under a bridge early. I know they was bout 10 cars on warrenton causeway today an that many at town creek. When the temp comes up some in the water they ort to be tryin to bed soon if some aint already been tryin. Wait til bout the middle of april an you should be able to load the boat with minners under bout any bridge around guntersville. Id be jiggin right now tho they catchin them in the mornin uder bridges
Posted By: Megatrondiablo

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/16/17 05:08 PM

Why do they stack up at bridges?

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/16/17 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Megatrondiablo

That's where they go to meet babes.

Seriously though, Crappie and lots of other fish relate to structure. Bridges provide vertical structure as well as depth changes, and sometimes they act as a current break too. They are good ambush points for preying on baitfish,and Crappie love to hang out in the shade provided by them.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/16/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Megatrondiablo

Funnel and a current break. If the water isn't moving the crappie usually aren't biting under the bridges.
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/17/17 06:12 AM

Headed to Holt lake(rock quarry) in a little while to see if I can catch a few bass and find crappie down deep as always..Reckon I'll have to go by myself..I have a few deep trees that used to produce but it's been a few years since I've fishes them.
Posted By: Megatrondiablo

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/17/17 07:55 PM

Well I tried 3 bridges today at logan martin. The fish were there but not biting. They were pulling a bunch of water.

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/17/17 08:29 PM

Holt was 55 degrees and warmed up to 57 surface temp..We caught a few decent crappie off standing timber and tops tight lining 10-16ft deep..Found some at 32ft but with the wind it was hard to do..Only one of the crappies we caught had eggs... Naturally with it warming up next week they should turn on.. Naturally I have to work all week and next weekend..Also caught some bass on a shallow crank and lost a hoss at the boat.

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/19/17 01:41 PM

Well, I finally made it to the water Saturday afternoon. I didn't get to launch until about 4:30 pm though, and didn't catch the first one until about 6:00. Between then and dark I put 8 more in the live well. I wound up hitting a spot on the Coosa that I used to fish years ago.

Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/19/17 03:56 PM

Glad you caught enough to stink up a skillet. I only caught 2 on Guntersville today.
Posted By: robinhedd

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/19/17 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Glad you caught enough to stink up a skillet. I only caught 2 on Guntersville today.

Man what's the deal? I fished hard @ Lil Bear yesterday in Franklin County & caught exactly zero! I wish it would quit raining so hard every Friday night, seems to mess the Saturday bite up. Robinhedd
Posted By: Bar270

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/19/17 07:38 PM

Glad some body catching some

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/19/17 07:54 PM

We brought home 13 Saturday evening...Missed several more
Posted By: bamapanic

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/20/17 09:23 AM

Fished Lay from sunrise to 5, caught zero.
Posted By: William

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/20/17 09:47 AM

Fished Logan from 12-5. Didn't catch the first fish.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 03/20/17 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
saw 3 dudes spider riggin up hurricane holler a few days ago, might be movin on up. id throw a jig on a floater an see what happened in some shaller water

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 04/09/17 09:13 PM

Well, I guess I'll somewhat resurrect this thread, just because. I had a few hours to fish today, so I took advantage of that time.

Posted By: AC870

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 04/09/17 09:55 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 04/09/17 10:18 PM

I think they are trying to spawn around this full moon. We caught several today on crankbaits a 4 inch swimbait and my buddy even caught one on a senko. Picked up a crappie jig and caught several more. Biggest one was pushing 2lbs
Posted By: juice

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 04/11/17 10:09 AM

Any Guntersville reports? I think I might get to slip off this afternoon and give it a try.
Posted By: noeyeddeer

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 04/11/17 10:20 AM

Are yall catching em deep at this point or are they moving to the shallows? Went a few times in the past few weeks but only catching the babies.

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 04/11/17 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: noeyeddeer
Are yall catching em deep at this point or are they moving to the shallows? Went a few times in the past few weeks but only catching the babies.

I don't know where you are fishing but below your screen name it says central Alabama. That may mean the Crappie spawn is a little further along than it is in north Alabama. I have caught mine lately fishing shallow, like 2' shallow, but adjacent to deeper water, 10' deep or so.
Posted By: skip

Re: I want to catch some Crappie - 04/12/17 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: juice
Any Guntersville reports? I think I might get to slip off this afternoon and give it a try.

The wife & I caught'em last Friday (4-7) and Saturday (4-8) at Goose Pond. Limited out (60) each day with one on Saturday weighing 2 lb 9 oz. We had some really good fish both days. Very few short fish. Most were caught in 5 to 6 ft of water.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM