Aldeer.com

Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building (pic added)

Posted By: Claims Rep.

Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building (pic added) - 07/18/11 02:58 AM

So, my son and I were below the dam fishing for stripe with spoons and had fish all around us. Even had the stripe come up and bump the spoon, but couldn't for the life of us get them to strike it. What gives with that?

Anyway, here's the real doosey that blew my mind. I watched as several bass boats went all the way up to the hydroelectric concrete building and went INSIDE the building - it looked like these guys were in there fishing! The entrances they went into were about the size of a large storage rental doorway. Tell me what they were doing, and have any of you guys ever done that? I mean these guys went up in there and stayed there! Looked dangerous as hell to me, but they went up in there like a bull in a china shop.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/18/11 03:43 AM

What are you talking about? They went into the turbine discharge hole, or somewhere else at the dam wall?
Posted By: keith5579

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/18/11 04:19 AM

Several years ago a friend and I did the same thing. The turbines cut on without warning and we cut ropes and hauled arse outta there like you wouldn't believe. That's the last time I have ever fished "inside."
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/18/11 10:59 AM

When I was younger, and alot dumber, we would tie off to the side of Wilson Dam and catch catfish like crazy. Once you got about 5 feet from the dam, instead of pushing you downstream, the current would suck you into the wall. Many people who did this the first time lost their trolling motors because they "whammed" into the wall. We would even pull into the turbine chutes that had ground up small fish when they were running. The catfish were thick in there eating the "chum" generated by the turbines. I have been in there when they cut a turbine back on and it would throw the boat about 3-4 feet into the air as the water surged back out. Scary to say the least, but we were young and bullet proof at that time. It is dangerous as a cocked pistol to do this, and I wouldn't fish in those now for the world!! Guess I'm older and wiser now. Good Luck if you try it. Make sure you have a wide bottom boat that can withstand the sudden surges.
Posted By: CD

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/18/11 01:46 PM

They were probably either trying to catch bait or were actually fishing, probably for catfish. I've been under there many times to catch yellowtail for stripe fishing, mainly in the Spring. As someone mentioned, when they are generating, the water boils out past the base of the dam, so there is actually a reverse current that pushes you back towards the dam wall. This could be a little scary if you weren't expecting it. I've seen some boats stay under there all day long. The only incident we ever had was a pipe about 12" diameter and about 8 feet above the waterline suddenly started discharging water into our boat. It only lasted long enough for us to move, and that's the only time I ever saw anything come out of that pipe. CD.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/18/11 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Claims Rep.
So, my son and I were below the dam fishing for stripe with spoons and had fish all around us. Even had the stripe come up and bump the spoon, but couldn't for the life of us get them to strike it. What gives with that?

Switch to a 1/2 ounce roostertail and slow down your retrieve. 3" Fire tiger jerkbaits are hell on them to.

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/18/11 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Teacher One
When I was younger, and alot dumber, we would tie off to the side of Wilson Dam and catch catfish like crazy. Once you got about 5 feet from the dam, instead of pushing you downstream, the current would suck you into the wall. Many people who did this the first time lost their trolling motors because they "whammed" into the wall. We would even pull into the turbine chutes that had ground up small fish when they were running. The catfish were thick in there eating the "chum" generated by the turbines. I have been in there when they cut a turbine back on and it would throw the boat about 3-4 feet into the air as the water surged back out. Scary to say the least, but we were young and bullet proof at that time. It is dangerous as a cocked pistol to do this, and I wouldn't fish in those now for the world!! Guess I'm older and wiser now. Good Luck if you try it. Make sure you have a wide bottom boat that can withstand the sudden surges.

I'm thinking that this is exactly what they were doing. One guy that went in there was in a really nice Stratos tournament boat thad a 250hp Merc on it. Others were in flatbottom boats. I don't think I'll be going in there anytime soon.

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: PRB

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/18/11 08:53 PM

More than likely this time of year they are catfishing. I fish below the dam regularly and going under the dam is not as bad as you'd think. I've done it more times than I can count fishing and catching bait. I wouldn't recommend it with someone inexperienced, or in a fiberglass boat. Those concrete walls under there along with the current will do a number on fiberglass. Also, if the turbines are completely off, stay away. If you're under there and the turbines are slowly runnning and they increase them it's no big deal. If they're completely off and they turn them on while you're under there....you'd better hold on....it's gonna get rough!

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/18/11 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
What are you talking about? They went into the turbine discharge hole, or somewhere else at the dam wall?

Clem,

Below is a pic that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about - only in this pic there is just about three feet of clearance, whereas Sunday afternoon there was about 12 feet of clearance for a boat to go in.

(pic came from someone who posted to one of my threads on FishingLakeGuntersville.com)

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 02:38 AM

Yep, that's what I figured.

I've seen people do that, too. I wouldn't, especially if there is no warning horn or siren or anything. Too risky.

No fish is worth my life. To each his own, I guess.

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 02:40 AM

I'm not familiar enough with the turbines at G'ville ... that photo looks like the big wheels turning at Wheeler Dam.

When they're rolling, that's some serious water and power.

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 11:15 AM

I'm not familiar enough with the turbines at G'ville ... that photo looks like the big wheels turning at Wheeler Dam.

When they're rolling, that's some serious water and power.

Your correct - the photo is Wheeler. Just shown as a reference.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 12:50 PM

I know Guntersville Dam inside and out, literally, from fishing as a kid and working as a TVA contractor. Years ago boats went into the turbine discharge areas to snag. Some of my cousins got capsized under thare AT NIGHT in a 12' flatbottom plywood boat and damn near drowned. That was back in the '60s. Kapok life jackets of the day almost didn't float the guys. I doubt anybody snags these days as it is a LOT of physical labor for little reward unless you get a sure nuff huge fish on.

Generation is dictated/programmed from Chattanooga and the turbines cycle automatically and the upsurge of the water is instant and very violent.......even several feet outside the discharge openings. My advice is to stay way back.

Surprising as it may be turbine speed is only about 100rpm, give or take 5 or 6 rpms

Speaking of TVA dams, going almost all the way across the river just above impellor level(way below water level even on the downstream side)thru Wilson Dam is damn spooky. All dams make lots of noise down in their bowels but the passages in that old dam were poorly lit and that magnified the creepyness.

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 02:27 PM

I'd hate to see what would happen if, for instance, at Guntersville Dam one of the old metal intake gates broke free, was sucked into the pitcock and then into the turbine wheel or some other monstrous damage.

The flooding would be unbelieveable and tragic. Those dams are 70-plus years old. I hope the bolts and grates have been replaced since construction or they check on them regularly.

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 03:40 PM

TVA does LOTS of maintenance on the hydro plants. As to the bolts, I've seen 3" diameter bolts/studs on turbine shaft inspection doors. Takes 2 men to lift the wrench up to and on the bolt/nut.

Too much to type but I could tell you some stories about logs making it thru the Trash Gates and down to the impellor

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 03:58 PM

I'd hate to see what would happen if, for instance, at Guntersville Dam one of the old metal intake gates broke free, was sucked into the pitcock and then into the turbine wheel or some other monstrous damage.

The flooding would be unbelieveable and tragic. Those dams are 70-plus years old. I hope the bolts and grates have been replaced since construction or they check on them regularly.

Yep, wonder how much time the down river cities would have to evacuate? eek

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 04:40 PM

Marlon,

I got to take a tour once of the Holt Lock & Dam while I was in electrician's school. It was really cool getting to go down "into" the dam and seeing the power generation process.

Here's a footnote online about fishing below the dams - well said too:

Caution: The electrical generators at the powerhouse are connected to the power system and respond automatically in time of high electrical demand. When these generators start up, they can discharge a large amount of water downstream in a matter of seconds. The closer you get to the dam, the more dangerous it becomes. The changing currents and turbulent waters make boat control extremely difficult, and could cause a boat to sink. The extra yards of fishing gained by venturing too close to a dam are not worth the risk.

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 05:59 PM

The best dam tour of all was Hoover before the attacks in 2001. My son and I went thru in 1994. Awesome don't even come close to describing it. Now you can't get the tour that they gave before we were defeated by Muslims.
Posted By: PRB

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
I know Guntersville Dam inside and out, literally, from fishing as a kid and working as a TVA contractor. Years ago boats went into the turbine discharge areas to snag. Some of my cousins got capsized under thare AT NIGHT in a 12' flatbottom plywood boat and damn near drowned. That was back in the '60s. Kapok life jackets of the day almost didn't float the guys. I doubt anybody snags these days as it is a LOT of physical labor for little reward unless you get a sure nuff huge fish on.

Snagging is now illegal below Guntersville dam. I'm not sure which one's, but there are some other TVA impoundments where it is no longer allowed. If I'm not mistaken, the restriction was put in place to protect the spoonbill.
Posted By: gman

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Claims Rep.
Marlon,

I got to take a tour once of the Holt Lock & Dam while I was in electrician's school. It was really cool getting to go down "into" the dam and seeing the power generation process.

Here's a footnote online about fishing below the dams - well said too:

Caution: The electrical generators at the powerhouse are connected to the power system and respond automatically in time of high electrical demand. When these generators start up, they can discharge a large amount of water downstream in a matter of seconds. The closer you get to the dam, the more dangerous it becomes. The changing currents and turbulent waters make boat control extremely difficult, and could cause a boat to sink. The extra yards of fishing gained by venturing too close to a dam are not worth the risk.

We got to tour Wheeler Dam when I was a soph or junior in high school. It was really cool down in the guts ofthe dam!

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/19/11 11:15 PM

Before 9/11, I drove over to Wilson Dam with an older gentleman from H'sv who knew some of the history.

We didn't have an appointment or anything. Strangely enough, we knocked on a door at the dam, explained who we were and said we wanted to take a little tour. After a 5-minute wait, a guy showed up and showed us inside to look around.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/24/11 03:25 AM

I've thought about that a lot. Never been able to get TVA to tell me what to expect but I'm sure they know.
Posted By: TR

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/24/11 06:42 PM

I went on a tour inside Hoover Dam several years ago. It is pretty amazing. There were some tough men that put that mountain of concrete in place. The water flowing through those giant metal pipes makes some weird noises inside that dam.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/29/22 08:23 PM

Googled something and this came up. So...I was fishing the dam yesterday. I use to go inside the dam. When I was young. I have a funny story to tell about it when I get more time. I will try to come back to this in a few days or tonight to explain it
Posted By: James

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/29/22 08:27 PM

This is an old one lol.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/29/22 08:29 PM

We catfish under there sometime. Shady spot
Posted By: Tree Dweller

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building (pic added) - 07/29/22 08:58 PM

Posted By: top cat

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/29/22 11:32 PM

Fished in there many times. Just make sure your not in there when they kick on because the water level jumps several feet. Cool in the summertime
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/30/22 12:01 AM

Good grief. An 11 year old thread. I went in those holes one time. That was enough for me.

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 07/31/22 01:15 AM

Nice and shady and full of fish. It's a good place to go if you know what you're doing. I don't, so I don't go in there but there are others here on ALDEER that do and catch good fish.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 08/03/22 10:35 PM

Yup Hoover Dam tour was marvelous

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 08/03/22 10:39 PM

[url=https://postimg.cc/KKxdhyHw][Linked Image]

Under the dam. Absolutely terrifying place.

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 08/04/22 01:54 PM

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION, CATMAN!
Posted By: William

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 08/04/22 06:46 PM

I don't fish near dams. It's unnerving to me and I don't like it at all. I stay as far away from them as possible.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 08/04/22 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by William
I don't fish near dams. It's unnerving to me and I don't like it at all. I stay as far away from them as possible.

Missing some fine fishing

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building - 08/04/22 10:36 PM

Past few years i been fishing almost exclusively below and under dams. We catch ALOT of fish. Very seldom have a bad day. I got tired of fishing and wanted to start catching.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building (pic added) - 08/05/22 03:38 AM

Yep, terrifying.

[img]https://imgur.com/pkgeHjW[/img]
Posted By: johnv

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building (pic added) - 08/05/22 07:07 PM

I've been going under Guntersville dam my whole life. As long as they are running water it isn't a problem
Posted By: stan57

Re: Guntersville Dam - lower side by the hydroelectric building (pic added) - 08/21/22 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Clem
Before 9/11, I drove over to Wilson Dam with an older gentleman from H'sv who knew some of the history.

We didn't have an appointment or anything. Strangely enough, we knocked on a door at the dam, explained who we were and said we wanted to take a little tour. After a 5-minute wait, a guy showed up and showed us inside to look around.

We got to tour Guntersville one time in exactly the same way. Standing by that big ole spinning turbine drive shaft way down in the bowels of the dam was awe inspiring.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM