Aldeer.com

First Tournament...

Posted By: jono23

First Tournament... - 09/03/16 06:38 PM

Cpalmer was nice enough to let me come down today for a little tournament action. I had never fished a tournament before (heck I barely know what I'm doing bass fishing anyway), so it was all shiny and exciting to me.

We didn't get any pictures or anything. It was a pretty hard day fishing after the morning wore off, but it was still a blast and I learned a lot. I don't remember how many fish we caught in total, but we struggled to bring in anything big. From what I've read on here and what he was saying, it seems like EVERYONE has been struggling there.

We ended up placing 2nd with *I think* 8.89 pounds. I don't remember what first got, but I think it was close to 12 or 13 pounds.

So thanks again to Cpalmer, I had a blast!

now to find some aloe for this sunburn....
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: First Tournament... - 09/03/16 07:33 PM

Did Palmer use his SNOOPY rod ? And no he lied everyone doesn't use minners in a TX !!! lol
Posted By: Farmer64

Re: First Tournament... - 09/03/16 08:31 PM

That's awesome Jono glad you had a great time.
Posted By: AC870

Re: First Tournament... - 09/03/16 08:50 PM

Jono the Bassmaster! Congrats.
Posted By: CPalmer72

Re: First Tournament... - 09/05/16 05:56 PM

haha i had to leave my snoopy rod at home Perch. Was afraid he wouldnt take me seriously!!

We had 8.98 and finished second. The winner was one of my dads buddies and had 12.8x with a 2.80 big fish.

It was certainly a tough day of fishing. The morning bite is slowly starting to pick up, but we have a few more weeks before it is like it needs to be.
We had a great time though. Enjoyed having Jono down to fish and hope we can do it again soon.

Jono even got to catch his first fish on a chatterbait. He will be sponsored by them soon! haha

Re: First Tournament... - 09/05/16 07:30 PM

What's the trick on the chatterbait, Palmer. I've thrown that thing til I'm blue in face and can't get bit. Only thing I ever catch on is a squarebill. Think I'm gonna embrace it and just throw it all the time.
Posted By: jono23

Re: First Tournament... - 09/05/16 07:46 PM

AC, I can't tell you the trick to it...but its about all I threw and I'm pretty sure every fish I caught was on the chatter bait. Cody would laugh everytime I went for it.

Originally Posted By: CPalmer72

Jono even got to catch his first fish on a chatterbait. He will be sponsored by them soon! haha

I may or may not have gone and bought 5 of them yesterday...
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: First Tournament... - 09/05/16 08:00 PM

AC no trick just throw it around cover.

Re: First Tournament... - 09/06/16 08:07 PM

I just got to throw it more I reckon.
Posted By: James

Re: First Tournament... - 09/06/16 11:03 PM

Cool!!!
Posted By: Ben2

Re: First Tournament... - 09/06/16 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: AC870
What's the trick on the chatterbait, Palmer. I've thrown that thing til I'm blue in face and can't get bit. Only thing I ever catch on is a squarebill. Think I'm gonna embrace it and just throw it all the time.

Throw it more. They will eat it. Speed it up or slow it down. I catch em hopping it or fishing it fast, not many in between
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: First Tournament... - 09/06/16 11:45 PM

First fish I ever caught on in a chatter bait was over 6lbs. Caught enough to fill out a limit on it and win a father son tournament. It may have also been the last time I ever threw one. I don't really know why I dont throw them. I guess a squarebill or a swimbait fill that niche for me
Posted By: CPalmer72

Re: First Tournament... - 09/10/16 07:36 PM

Just throw it more AC. Change retrieves until you find what they like. Slow and steady, fast, stopping every few cranks, yo-yoing it, etc.
Throw a solid white or white and chartreuse early in the morning.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM