Aldeer.com

Fishing below Logan Martin dam

Posted By: fishingbucks

Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/06/16 09:19 PM

How's the fishing there? Wanting to to go but heard there's some huge rocks to watch out for. Anybody with experience have any advice or suggestions? Thanks.
Posted By: Sdyar

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/06/16 09:27 PM

There are large rocks,but just look for the Grey herrings standing on them under the water. You may not see the rocks but you want miss the birds.It was the craziest thing I had ever saw the first time behind d the dam.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/06/16 09:42 PM

I have started fishing the dam this year. I will not go up there with less than 2 turbines running. With 2 on it I am comfortable fishing all over up there but when they say it will go from 2 to 1 at X time. You better be paying attention cause there is no siren the water just suddenly drops 3 ft. If the turned water completely off you could get stuck up there if you were in the wrong section.

My suggestion would be put in at glover park, idle to the dam when the water is off and mark as many rocks and bars as possible so you know what areas to avoid.

Fishing is awesome though!

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/06/16 09:45 PM

Is there a turbine schedule or is it random?

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/06/16 09:46 PM

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/06/16 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: fishingbucks
Is there a turbine schedule or is it random?

1800lakes11 is the number
Press 2 for the Coosa
Select 3 for Logan martin dam
Then press 2 for generation schedule.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/06/16 10:12 PM

Thank you

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/06/16 10:40 PM

Thank you

Pm me any questions you may have. Remember you must wear a pfd by the dam at all times and the swift water is dangerous. Be careful!
Posted By: TwoRs

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 06:36 AM

We used a Flat bottom alum boat with tiller steering and a friend to drop anchor.
Looking at the damn go far right. Go SLOW, When you get close to the earthen part start toward the flood gates slowly. when the concrete starts there is a wall and the water is very shallow. Once you passed this there is an underwater rock wall it gets deeper. This is normally a big open area that we set up in and cast toward the tubulance with buck tailed jigs, bone colored stick baits and plastic swim baits.
Drive up one day and park in the parking lot and take pictures and you can see a lot of the places not to be and the other boats that are anchored.
USE A QUICK disconnect anchor rope with a buoy to mark it in case you have to chase a fish.
YEMV, go at your own risk!
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 01:17 PM

we always used a quick disconnect and a bouy on the anchor line so we could chase big stripes and get back on anchor quickly.

we used to fish at night, no turbines running. Trolling motor from downstream into the shallow rocks fishing a floating minnow slow reeled right on the surface. Stripes and BIG spots.....

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
we always used a quick disconnect and a bouy on the anchor line so we could chase big stripes and get back on anchor quickly.

we used to fish at night, no turbines running. Trolling motor from downstream into the shallow rocks fishing a floating minnow slow reeled right on the surface. Stripes and BIG spots.....

Is it little up from lights on the dam at night or is it pretty dark? Most of them I have been too are lit up a bit but never been to LMD at night?

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 01:42 PM

Ben, we are several hundred yards below the dam itself, pretty dark there. Damn surprise when one of those big stripes blasts that topwater with six feet of line out.....

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 01:43 PM

We used to fish above the damn in winter, caught a LOT of spots and stripe including a 25# stripe on a fly rod, right at the damn face water intake.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 07:34 PM

When I was younger we would fish below the dam at night/real early mornings, usually in the colder months and use a Big Redfin topwater minnow. The "V" wake that thing would make drove those stripes crazy. Caught a 12 lb. hybrid like that before daylight once from the bank on the opposite side of the fishing platform. Combat fishing. Good times.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 07:37 PM

Ain't no fish up there

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: tfd1224
Ain't no fish up there

You are right used to be but they are gone now

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 09:02 PM

I went and looked off the pier today. It scared me to death even thinking about putting a boat in there unless the water is way high, and I mean high. If it was that high though it would probably be too turbulent for me.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 09:13 PM

I went and looked off the pier today. It scared me to death even thinking about putting a boat in there unless the water is way high, and I mean high. If it was that high though it would probably be too turbulent for me.

Tailrace fishing isn't for everybody. Theres good fishing below Guntersville when there are 10-15 floodgates open, but not just anybody will go up there. When the water is running that fast up there, there is a backflow in front of the gates. It will actually pull you up toward the gates, so your engine better be top notch, a really good backup trolling motor, hot batteries and being very aware of your situation is a must.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 09:15 PM

if you were there around 3:30 then you saw me run up in there about 3/4 throttle. If you learn the water with your trolling motor with no turbines running then you can run a boat in there pretty safely. I have a few areas where I will not go when the water is running. I may make a pic.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 09:44 PM

I've made a map somewhat but this forum forces you to use photo bucket and it's not acting right. Maybe one day aldeer will get with the rest of the world to where you load a pic directly from your phone. Maybe Yall will get to see the pic.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 09:49 PM

It can definitely be dangerous but the water literally raises 3 ft or so for each turbine that is running so 90% of what you saw will be under 4 or so ft of water with 2 gates open.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 09:52 PM

Never go inside the red area with turbines running, be very careful in the yellow area with one turbine running, until you know the water and rocks very well I wouldn't attempt going into the yellow area on the left. Never run your outboard in the blue areas with only 1 turbine running. Never get caught in the purple area when they turn the turbines off, you will be stuck there until they turn the turbines back on. The water will try to suck you into the purple area when they turn the turbines off and you are within about 20 yards of it, there is a concrete wall that sticks 6 inches out of the water with the turbines off but most of the time you can't see it with the turbines running unless the water is really clear and most likely won't hit it with your outboard.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 10:05 PM

^^^^ good info here

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 10:32 PM

Thanks. Very helpful.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/07/16 11:10 PM

Mitchell Dam (lake jordan) is much easier to fish/navigate and about the same distance from vestavia. Bankhead dam as well just fyi
Posted By: jetboater

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/08/16 08:24 AM

What is the water temperature coming out of the dam when they are generating right now? I have been fishing downstream from there catching a few but have yet to run up too the dam. I used to read some reports years ago from a guide named Charles Henry that really caught them good up there. He passed away though. I have a inboard jet boat and a 7/16 thick hull so the rocks won't be so bad for me.
Posted By: Sdyar

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/08/16 11:24 AM

I fished a couple times with Charles. He was a hell of a fisherman.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/08/16 11:32 AM

I looked at my temp gauge around glovers ferry yesterday and it was at 79-80
Posted By: jetboater

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/08/16 02:54 PM

That's to hot for the big ones. I'm going up to the Cumberland river this weekend. I hope we get on some big ones.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/08/16 09:36 PM

Good luck, Ive always wanted to go to the Cumberland river.
Posted By: HOYT3006

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/08/16 09:36 PM

turbine is broke at Bankhead so all the current you get there is the flood gates. Don't think Ala power is going to repair it either.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/15/16 12:44 PM

There are tons of rocks and no fish .shut you're pie tfd1224

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/15/16 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: mandeerpig
There are tons of rocks and no fish .shut you're pie tfd1224
who the hell you think you are telling me to shut my mouth. I put a map on here so my friends on here don't get hurt or killed. Great first post by the way.
Posted By: CrappieKing

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/15/16 05:57 PM

North end of the left yellow area is where I've caught most of my fish. Just outside of the big rock.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/15/16 06:07 PM

Set your pocket knife out beside your anchor rope. I know a guy that had to crank up and go over to another guys boat, and cut his anchor rope. Another turbine came on and the guys anchor was hung on a rock. Poor guy didn't know what to do when the water was getting higher. So he sat there and held onto his seat. Lol...

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/15/16 10:35 PM

Found this on alabama powers Web site and they have one for every dam. Found it helpful.

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/15/16 10:57 PM

Just above #8 is where most of the fish are. wink
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/03/21 03:39 AM

Bump for Beadelscomb.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Fishing below Logan Martin dam - 06/04/21 12:07 AM

Different dam I believe
© 2024 ALDEER.COM