Aldeer.com

Spots

Posted By: ridgestalker

Spots - 05/16/16 07:56 PM

What is your way of telling the difference between a spot and a largemouth. I've seen GW that couldn't tell the difference.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Spots - 05/16/16 08:00 PM

I can tell by looking at them.

Feel the tongue. Spots have a pad of teeth on the tongue.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Spots - 05/16/16 08:01 PM

For legal purposes from a GW perspective it doesn't matter. Black bass creek limits cover all black bass.

Re: Spots - 05/16/16 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Mbrock
For legal purposes from a GW perspective it doesn't matter. Black bass creek limits cover all black bass.

Creel but not the 15 in min length on Guntersville.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Spots - 05/16/16 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: ridgestalker
Originally Posted By: Mbrock

Creel but not the 15 in min length on Guntersville.

That's right. Length limit applies to largemouth but not spots on G.

Re: Spots - 05/16/16 08:17 PM

Alot of folks go by the jaw and the position of the eye to it, the spot having an eye forward of the back of the jaw. Some go by the the dorsal fin spots connect and Largemouth dont and other go by the tongue patch. I have seen largemouth with the rough patch also.... Even after catching a few thousand it can be tough sometimes.
Posted By: slick_trick

Re: Spots - 05/16/16 08:18 PM

In BFLs ive heard any fish with a tooth patch will be considered a spot. But honestly thats not always true. The jaw will not extend beyond the eye on a spot, and most do have a tooth patch.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Spots - 05/16/16 08:20 PM

If you hold them by the bottom lip spots will look more like a football, their mouths aren't as big as a largemouth. Largemouths mouths can appear to be as big as their belly almost. If they're small you can feel for the rough patch on their tounge like Matt said.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Spots - 05/16/16 08:42 PM

It's easy. If a GW doesn't know how to tell the difference he needs a new job. .02
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Spots - 05/17/16 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: top cat
It's easy. If a GW doesn't know how to tell the difference he needs a new job. .02

Agreed. I've never seen a spot I didn't immediately know was a spot once it came out of the water
Posted By: Spottedbass

Re: Spots - 05/17/16 07:41 AM

Tongue patch and jawline. I fish Mitchell mostly and you can tell as soon as you get them out of the water just based on color/pattern
Posted By: skintback

Re: Spots - 05/17/16 12:04 PM

I can tell them because we have so many spots in our area, but the tongue patch, general looks, jaw hinge location, etc.

Spot

large mouth
Posted By: blade

Re: Spots - 05/17/16 04:41 PM

Yeah, once you've seen a few and recognized them, they are easy to "spot".
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Spots - 05/18/16 08:07 AM

There are indications that there may be some inter-breeding between spots, shoal bass, and largemouths.
We could end up with spots or hybred spots taking over.
Posted By: basspro527

Re: Spots - 05/18/16 08:48 AM

Tongue patch is the for sure.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Spots - 05/18/16 01:18 PM

If you have caught a lot of spots; you usually know it's one before it's in the boat.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Spots - 05/18/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: wew3006
If you have caught a lot of spots; you usually know it's one before it's in the boat.

Yep. I haven't caught as many as a lot of y'all but a 2lb coosa spot fights like a 4lb large mouth.
Posted By: buzzard

Re: Spots - 05/18/16 04:04 PM

once you know them it really is easy to tell them apart. Some jackwagon put some coosa spots in our 7acre lake yrs back. There is no mistaking them when you put one beside the F1's that were originally stocked.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Spots - 05/18/16 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: buzzard
once you know them it really is easy to tell them apart. Some jackwagon put some coosa spots in our 7acre lake yrs back. There is no mistaking them when you put one beside the F1's that were originally stocked.

We've got them in our neighborhood lake too and need them out.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Spots - 05/18/16 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: bloodtrail
If you hold them by the bottom lip spots will look more like a football, their mouths aren't as big as a largemouth. Largemouths mouths can appear to be as big as their belly almost. If they're small you can feel for the rough patch on their tounge like Matt said.

Edit: Coosa spots and spots from a few key lakes will look like a football, spots from other places are shaped like a 2x4 and their tail fins look abnormally tall.

They typically don't tail walk when hooked like largemouths, they like to go under the boat. They're not typically found in the back of pockets with slack water, they thrive in current, main lake wind current if there's no generation.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM