Aldeer.com

Cherokee Purple tomato question

Posted By: FurFlyin

Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/18/14 08:38 PM

My dad planted some of these tomatoes this year. First, they are a pain to peel with all the crevices and holes in them. Secondly, the core in them is huge. I've never seen a tomato that has green cores in them as large as these do. Thirdly, they are one of the best tasting tomatoes I've ever eaten.

I am almost positive he started his plants from seed. Are there any different varieties or producers of plants of the Cherokee Purple tomatoes that aren't so misshapen and have a small core?
Posted By: vines54

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/18/14 08:56 PM

I tried them last year they were ok but would rather have better boy or celebrity , they didn't do as good as the regular tomatoes.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/18/14 09:06 PM

Every year I tell myself I'm not going to try the "new fangled" type tomatoes, but it seems I get bit every year. This year I have some kind of Beefstake that has delicious tomatoes, but the green core is so big you don't get but a couple of slices off the bottom.
Posted By: blade

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/18/14 09:28 PM

The black prince tastes similar and as good or better than the Cherokee purple to me, no core and a smooth outer but not quite as big. I'm eating some brandy wines right now that also are in that taste range. Really large heirloom with a few creases at top small core. All are heirlooms so they shouldn't vary much, I.e a purple Cherokee should be the same no matter where you get it from.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/18/14 09:32 PM

That is about all I grow. Accidentally got an orange tomato plant this year. Mine have the green core in them, but some of my plants produced small tomatoes this year so they weren't as big. Got mine from Bonnie's since I killed mine from seed
Posted By: TChunter

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/18/14 11:49 PM

Fur you're description is spot on for what I've noticed this year. It's my first year growing them and I've been less than impressed. They are different and I actually enjoy them as a change or pace occasionally but won't be planting many or any next year.

Look up baker creek and tomato growers catalogs online for some more ideas. There are an amazing amount of varieties.
Posted By: Cletus

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/19/14 09:50 AM

Most I have had are not too crevices but the core is large. For a darker tomato I prefer black crim for taste and production. There are so many heirloom varieties it is mind boggling.

Hands down......my favorite is Aunt Rubys German green. It's a green-ripe tomato that on a mater sammich really shines. Some other good ones that I have grown over the past few years are Hawaiian pineapple, green zebra, and kelloggs breakfast tomato. I have tried many others and saved the seeds of 15 or so varieties. Some do well and some don't. I had a German pink last year that only made 1 tomato.

These folks have about 600 varieties for sale. Scroll down and change it to 100 per page.

https://store.tomatofest.com/Heirloom_To...=100&page=1

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/19/14 03:25 PM

Thanks cletus just order some of the green seeds for a fall project. I'm always trying new strains and eliminating what don't work well.
Posted By: Cletus

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/19/14 04:22 PM

TC, you planting now for fall harvest?

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/19/14 10:20 PM

There are a whole lot of heirloom varieties out there, but unfortunately they aren't disease resistant. The Cherokee Purple vines are all but dead. I don't know if they are a determinate variety or if all the tomatoes are getting ripe at the same time because the vines are dying but they all are getting ripe at about the same time.

I would love to find a hybrid tomato that has the taste of the CP variety, but I don't think there's one out there.

I like Better Boys and that's what I've planted for years and I thought they were the best tasting tomato out there but I found out different this year.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/23/14 09:39 AM

I am pretty certain my Cherokees are a hybrid grade. I will check the tag under the plant this weekend and let you know. Mine have been slow to mature compared to the Whopper and Better Boys, but the plant is loaded is some huge fruit right now. I know I will be trying my first ones this weekend as 5 of them are begging to get eaten.

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/23/14 10:14 AM

Let us know Muzzie, Id be interested to know as well.

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/23/14 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: muzziehead
I am pretty certain my Cherokees are a hybrid grade. I will check the tag under the plant this weekend and let you know. Mine have been slow to mature compared to the Whopper and Better Boys, but the plant is loaded is some huge fruit right now. I know I will be trying my first ones this weekend as 5 of them are begging to get eaten.

They are very good. Sweet and not very acidy tasting. Total different flavor than a better boy. If they are a hybrid then some seed breeder needs to go back to work improving the strain. You can peel one larger than a softball and have 2 golf ball sized pieces to eat when you're done cutting out the un-peelable spots, cracks and core.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/23/14 08:32 PM

These are my favorite tomatoes. Like most heirlooms, they are not very prolific, but they taste incredible. I usually plant a few of them for slicing, and better boys and early girls to put up.
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/24/14 10:38 AM

I love the Cherokee Purples too...big, low acid fruit and delicious on a samich, or just slicing. However, they are not very prolific in my experience. One good round and they're done. Another alternative I've tried was German Queen(I think was the variety). It has big fruit, but likes the cooler weather (early) and is not quite as sweet as the Cherokee. It does make a little hardier plant though than the Cherokee.
Posted By: blade

Re: Cherokee Purple tomato question - 07/24/14 01:24 PM

I planted a german queen this year. Good tomato.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM