Aldeer.com

sweet corn

Posted By: deerman24

sweet corn - 02/17/24 01:37 PM

This year Ive decided to plant some sweet corn. I have always planted a large garden but never planted corn. Some one please school me on the dos and don'ts.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: sweet corn - 02/17/24 02:43 PM

Don’t plant seeds too close. About 8” gap is what I’ve found to be just right for me. I also like a 30-36” between rows. I do 30”. If you are planting long rows, plant more then 2. It’s always best to plant in blocks but sometimes it’s not possible. Corn is self pollinated so the more rows you have the better chance of good pollination. Corn is a heavy feeder and drinker. It takes lots of nitrogen and lots of water. Do not skimp on either. Also plant your seeds 1 3/4-2” deep. When the corn gets about knee high, fertilize with a good amount of nitrogen and pull dirt up on the brace roots and this will help hold the plants up from wind damage. My old gardening mentor, who grew some of the best sweet corn I’ve ever seen, always told me it the tips of the leave aren’t burnt and the rest of the plant isn’t blue, you ain’t fertilizing enough. Water, water and water!!! If you let corn get dry and the leaves wrinkle or roll, the plant is thirsty and is working to cool itself and will take away from yield. I’ll add that corn is a greedy plant and does not like any kind of competition from weeds. This is what hurts most people who try to grow sweet corn. Other than all that, corn is real easy to grow.
Also, the sweet the variety the more attention it needs. The old school heirloom sweet corn varieties are much more forgiving and easier to grow. I grow sh2 varieties. I’ve tried the triple sweet and quad sweet varieties but I really like the sh2 or super sweet varieties.
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: sweet corn - 02/17/24 04:38 PM

It sounds like Marsh has it down pat.

My only experience with corn was my grandparents and parents garden, and that was a long time ago.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM