Aldeer.com

Chicken feed

Posted By: Huntn2feed5

Chicken feed - 05/24/23 07:09 PM

Need a good homemade chicken feed recipe for laying hens
Posted By: BearBranch

Re: Chicken feed - 05/25/23 01:35 AM

Just go go the nearest piggly wiggly, and pick up a bag of keffarosa multi grain laying feed. It’s good stuff.
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Chicken feed - 05/25/23 01:22 PM

Old black guy got tired of using commercial feed and his hands to stop playing. So he bought him a 1 pound bag of cheap dried beans boil them down soften them up then mixed in some cheap elbow macaroni softened it up mix it all together and fed those chickens two spoonfuls until it was gone and then he put 2 to 4 more spoonfuls in there. But the chickens never jumped on each other they would eat until they got full and walk around and then come back if they wanted more.
Posted By: Huntn2feed5

Re: Chicken feed - 05/25/23 02:50 PM

I don’t want to use commercial pellets anymore.I found a few mixes on YouTube that people use, I just wanted to see what aldeer recommended
Posted By: brushwhacker

Re: Chicken feed - 05/26/23 12:44 PM

I would like to know also . Have 30 chickens an getting expensive to feed them . When garden comes in have plenty scraps
Posted By: stoolshooter

Re: Chicken feed - 05/26/23 07:12 PM

I buy the 16% pellets from Fayette ag. because thats where I get my other feed. Its reasonable so I dont go to the trouble to mix my own. When i pick up feed, I also pick up a bag of wheat and a bag of cracked corn and give them some when i let them out into the larger pen. I often sprinkle some oregano into the cracked corn and wheat. I only have 9 hens and they also eat the grass and scraps. Even tho the price of eggs has come down, I still come out ahead, beside that I love those fresh brown eggs
Posted By: coachg34

Re: Chicken feed - 05/27/23 02:48 AM

I buy 100 lbs of 22% layer pellets and mix with 50 lbs of cracked corn .
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Chicken feed - 05/27/23 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by coachg34
I buy 100 lbs of 22% layer pellets and mix with 50 lbs of cracked corn .

basically what we do too
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Chicken feed - 05/27/23 11:42 PM

Anyone who has backyard chickens, needs to make a Blue Soldier Fly bin. We have 1000's of them at the shop. They raise there at will. They even self harvest themselves out of the bin. I'm attaching a video that I haven't watched completely. I know how to grow them. LOL

FYI, you DO NOT have to buy larvae to start your bin. You build the bin, they'll come on their own. Do more YT watching. There are some tricks to getting the adults to lay the eggs where you want them to. Wood blocks stacked close together or something.

These larvae are sold, freeze dried to feed to chickens. They are incredibly simple to raise. They also have more nutrition that any chicken feed you can buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrS-EPo-GQA
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Chicken feed - 06/01/23 04:27 AM

Saw an article about making folder from wheat seed. Video said you could make 250 lbs of feed from 50 lbs of wheat. Has anyone done this?
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Chicken feed - 06/04/23 04:36 PM

A recipe I found online which yielded about 17% protein is as follows (expensive now thanks to inflation)

whole oats - 30lbs
whole corn - 20lbs
black oil sunflower - 20lbs
split peas - 10lbs
flax seed - 5lbs

haven't priced it yet but its going to be expensive
© 2024 ALDEER.COM