Aldeer.com

Tractor vs coop

Posted By: Huntn2feed5

Tractor vs coop - 03/22/23 04:50 PM

Bought some more chickens and was wondering what everyone prefers chicken tractor or chicken coop?
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Tractor vs coop - 03/22/23 05:25 PM

Coop.....and build it like ft knox. I've had tons of trouble out of coons. I ended up putting welded wire everywhere even on the floor. Then I made an apron all the way around the coop with welded wire. The apron is weighed down by stone pavers.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Tractor vs coop - 03/22/23 11:00 PM

Coons are the devil!
Posted By: Swamp Captain

Re: Tractor vs coop - 03/22/23 11:54 PM

I have a coop for my chickens and a tractor for the ducks. Tractors are better free-ranging, coops for when that is impractical. My chickens can not not free range due to dogs and chickenhawks, but I have a large run netted over with fishing net for them. The ducks don't free range regularly, but I only have a few so a tractor was easier to build for them and I do let them out into the lake occasionally.
Posted By: howl

Re: Tractor vs coop - 03/30/23 02:14 PM

A small run gets nasty and makes hens ill. If you only have budget for small run or small tractor you need to go tractor.

It's about the same difference between a coop with large enough chicken run versus tractor moved around a large enough area, except you can about mow a yard moving a tractor around.

I have an extra large run because I have more land than time to fool with a tractor.
Posted By: Razorsharp123

Re: Tractor vs coop - 03/30/23 04:08 PM

We use both at the farm here.

Meat birds are raised in a tractor their whole lives.

New layers are in a tractor until they put on plenty of size then they go to the coop. Coop has automatic doors and they spend most of their time outside, staying locked up tight at night.
Posted By: coachg34

Re: Tractor vs coop - 04/02/23 07:41 PM

We have 2 tractors. Use to let them out to free range but will lose 1-2 a week , usually fox 🦊 but have had a coyote take a hen or two . We have a big yard so we move about every 5-7 days . Only way to go .
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Tractor vs coop - 04/03/23 09:39 PM

Everything wants to eat a chicken. Kept them for years and had a coop like Fort Knox! Only thing that got in were snakes.
Posted By: johnv

Re: Tractor vs coop - 04/14/23 02:31 AM

A tornado ruined my tractor I made within a few days and killed my chickens a few years ago. Built a chicken coop after that but mine free range every day.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM