Aldeer.com

Catalpa Trees

Posted By: gastoka

Catalpa Trees - 03/06/23 07:26 PM

Anyone know where to purchase these trees in the Bham area? Looking to plant a few for fishing bait.

If anyone knows of some public places where trees grow, I would be open to checking them out when caterpillars arrive.
Posted By: Tree Dweller

Re: Catalpa Trees - 03/06/23 09:46 PM

https://www.tytyga.com/Catalpa-p/shac-catalpa.htm

Willis Orchards has 3 varieties also. We used to smoke the dried beans as kids. (dumb)
Posted By: quailman

Re: Catalpa Trees - 03/06/23 11:36 PM

If you find a couple trees, best way to get em up and running with the worms is to find some worms and put them on your trees. They'll take care of the rest.

Had 2 in my backyard years ago, but a buck decided he liked to rub on them. Killed both of them.
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Catalpa Trees - 03/07/23 12:52 PM

Hard to find catalpa worms now in my area due to all of the spraying the cities and county is doing.

Re: Catalpa Trees - 03/07/23 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by quailman
If you find a couple trees, best way to get em up and running with the worms is to find some worms and put them on your trees. They'll take care of the rest.

Had 2 in my backyard years ago, but a buck decided he liked to rub on them. Killed both of them.

Great idea transplanting worms.
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Catalpa Trees - 03/09/23 05:12 PM

I've got 3 trees I transplanted as a kid at my parents house. I could let you know when worms show up.

Re: Catalpa Trees - 03/10/23 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jdkprp70
I've got 3 trees I transplanted as a kid at my parents house. I could let you know when worms show up.

That'd be great. Thanks

Re: Catalpa Trees - 03/11/23 03:34 AM

I'll PM you when they show.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Catalpa Trees - 04/24/23 03:56 AM

Lost mine in the cold this past year.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Catalpa Trees - 04/25/23 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie123
Lost mine in the cold this past year.

Same here.
Posted By: BamaFan64

Re: Catalpa Trees - 06/10/23 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by quailman

This. Fortunately they also root very easily. I’ve taken catalpa sticks, stuck them in the ground and in a few years you have a tree. Cut them off waist high in the fall and they’re short enough to get the worms the next spring and summer.

Re: Catalpa Trees - 06/14/23 01:45 AM

Seen worms on 2 of my 3 trees today.
Posted By: Paint Rock 00

Re: Catalpa Trees - 06/25/23 09:07 PM

I had a hatching of worms in the last few day. I was afraid the 8 degree weather got them.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM