Aldeer.com

Best weed control

Posted By: MS_Hunter

Best weed control - 03/04/23 12:45 PM

For you guys that have a traditional garden, what's the best way to prevent weeds? I have raised beds so weeds aren't that big of a issue but me and a buddy plant a traditional garden on his in-laws property and the weeds are ridiculous. We're talking about maybe covering it all in plastic of some type of weed guard and planting through it and running some type of irritation under it. Anybody do this? Pros? Cons?
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Best weed control - 03/04/23 02:21 PM

I found a old used truck tarp thats very thick. Its about 20x48. Laid it on the ground after garden was done. Hoping it killed most of what was growing under it. Will see this year i guess.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Best weed control - 03/04/23 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by MS_Hunter
For you guys that have a traditional garden, what's the best way to prevent weeds? I have raised beds so weeds aren't that big of a issue but me and a buddy plant a traditional garden on his in-laws property and the weeds are ridiculous. We're talking about maybe covering it all in plastic of some type of weed guard and planting through it and running some type of irritation under it. Anybody do this? Pros? Cons?

Sounds like the perfect place for woven ground cover. https://growerssolution.com/products/polypropylene-ground-cover
Posted By: Paint Rock 00

Re: Best weed control - 03/05/23 12:16 AM

The tarp over the garden will kill seeds that were in it. Be sure to take it off several days before wanting to turn it. The ground will be very wet and hard, the rain water on it packed it.

Re: Best weed control - 03/05/23 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Paint Rock 00
The tarp over the garden will kill seeds that were in it. Be sure to take it off several days before wanting to turn it. The ground will be very wet and hard, the rain water on it packed it.

Was hoping to not turn it after the tarping and just dig holes so we wouldnt be bringing up a bunch of new seeds.
We will be buying watermelon,cantaloupe, tomato plants.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Best weed control - 03/05/23 12:51 PM

I'm talking about putting either plastic or land scape fabric down over the entire garden and cutting holes in it to plant. Anybody do it that way?
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Best weed control - 03/05/23 12:59 PM

Buddy of mine used to put mulch around each plant. Helps retain moisture too.
Posted By: 007

Re: Best weed control - 03/05/23 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MS_Hunter
I'm talking about putting either plastic or land scape fabric down over the entire garden and cutting holes in it to plant. Anybody do it that way?

They do it everyday growing vegetables on plasticulture. Helps with a lot of annual weeds, but nutsedge will come right through it. Main thing is you have to have irrigation to each hole to get enough water to the plants if the entire garden is covered.
Posted By: Razorsharp123

Re: Best weed control - 03/05/23 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rmart30

Was hoping to not turn it after the tarping and just dig holes so we wouldnt be bringing up a bunch of new seeds.

I wouldn’t buy melon plants generally. They’re easy to grow from seed, seeds are cheap, and they don’t love being transplanted.

Re: Best weed control - 03/05/23 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Razorsharp123
Originally Posted by Rmart30

I wouldn’t buy melon plants generally. They’re easy to grow from seed, seeds are cheap, and they don’t love being transplanted.

The area had pre emergent sprayed in it is why going the plant route this year.

Re: Best weed control - 03/06/23 03:08 AM

Depending on what you sprayed, those roots may be pruned off once they grow out of the peat plug. I’ve seen it before. Hopefully you didn’t use something with a real long residual.

Re: Best weed control - 03/06/23 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 007
Depending on what you sprayed, those roots may be pruned off once they grow out of the peat plug. I’ve seen it before. Hopefully you didn’t use something with a real long residual.

Simazine. Its been almost a year.

Re: Best weed control - 03/07/23 01:45 PM

You should be good to go.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM