Aldeer.com

Corn question...

Posted By: FurFlyin

Corn question... - 07/05/22 10:02 PM

Being new to raised bed gardening, I've tried some stuff I would never have tried planting in the dirt...

I planted a whole 4'x20' bed in corn. Eight inches apart, in each direction. Basically a grid of corn. It sure is pretty. I poured the fertilizer to it and I'm watering it every day with soaker hoses. It's starting to tassel and now I'm getting worried that it's so thick that it won't pollinate properly. What say ye? I can thin it before it's too late, if I need to.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Corn question... - 07/05/22 10:42 PM

My corn came up a little skippy this year, Ambrosia sweet corn. Probably 2/3-3/4 of a good stand. I went on and worked it. Most of it has 3 ears to the stalk. Never seen corn make like this. So, im thinking from now on, thinner is better
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Corn question... - 07/05/22 11:36 PM

It’s recommended to plant sweet corn 8-12” plant spacing. My buddy’s dad plants his corn 2 rows per row(bed) 12” apart with a 6” plant spacing. He puts his rows 30” apart. He has no problem with germination. This is how he plants. I tried it one year and did great. To much to deal with at one time for me. [Linked Image]

Re: Corn question... - 07/05/22 11:42 PM

Looks like its fixin to leave here Marshmud.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Corn question... - 07/06/22 12:26 AM

I planted some Silver Queen in a 5’X5’ raised bed, spaced about 6-8” apart and it’s done great. Pollinated very well, kernels out to the tips. I never thinned any. I read where corn likes being planted in blocks, I guess that worked for me. I’d think your setup would also be fine with the close spacing.

Re: Corn question... - 07/06/22 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77

I’m not following you. I did forget to put that I think Furs corn will be just fine.

Re: Corn question... - 07/06/22 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
Originally Posted by jwalker77

I’m not following you. I did forget to put that I think Furs corn will be just fine.

Looks like its about to take off, get real tall real fast.

Re: Corn question... - 07/06/22 01:49 AM

Well actually 2 days later it was all flat on the ground from a big storm we had.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Corn question... - 07/06/22 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: oakachoy

Re: Corn question... - 07/06/22 03:03 PM

I studied different pollination methods, I don't have but just a couple of row's of Silver Queen. Last year I took a clean dust pan and shook the pollen into the pan and dusted right on the silks. It seems to work really well with full ears. I repeated this process a couple of weeks apart.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Corn question... - 07/07/22 02:15 AM

I'd think it'll be fine fur.

JWalker, I've planted Ambrosia two years in a row now and it hasn't done well either time. I'll be back to silver queen and peaches and cream next year.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Corn question... - 07/09/22 08:15 PM

I've never had any issues with bad pollination in my raised beds. I also get out there and shake the stalks to see the tassels drop onto the little ears forming too. I plant mine 6-8 inches apart and when it comes up, it looks like a block.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM