Aldeer.com

Been a While

Posted By: Maggie123

Been a While - 07/02/22 05:24 AM

Been a long while since I have been active. Lots of ole time faces gone. Still gardening here, as well as putting food up. Good to be back and see some familiar faces. Couple of pics of things around here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Been a While - 07/02/22 03:33 PM

I almost commented in the classifieds that we needed you back here inspiring all of us with your garden and processing skills. Thank you so much for finally posting these beautiful pictures. That’s a heck of a haul.

Re: Been a While - 07/02/22 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
I almost commented in the classifieds that we needed you back here inspiring all of us with your garden and processing skills. Thank you so much for finally posting these beautiful pictures. That’s a heck of a haul.

Thanks, hon. My gardens have been bountiful this year and are still going. I have canned and put veggies in the freezer until I am running out of room! 😁. I am sure your gardens are doing great, as usual!
Posted By: BearBranch

Re: Been a While - 07/02/22 05:10 PM

Nice!

Re: Been a While - 07/02/22 08:04 PM

A few more pics of bounty…

[Linked Image]
Cantaloupe

[Linked Image]
Cabbage, beans and cucumbers

[Linked Image]
Okra and tomatoes

[Linked Image]
Sweet corn

Blessed, we are.
Posted By: Todd1700

Re: Been a While - 07/03/22 12:55 AM

Very Nice!
Posted By: brushwhacker

Re: Been a While - 07/03/22 09:10 PM

Looks good. Same here . I’ve made dill pickles ,Pickled squash, bread an butter pickles, blackberry jam an put corn in freezer. I got 3 freezers . One for deer other for garden stuff. Had best garden this year so far even though not much rain here in north al. Still getting lots squash, maters just getting ripe, an lots of pepper.

Re: Been a While - 07/09/22 08:28 PM

My ambrosia canteloup have been so good, although I don’t think my hubby is as crazy about the taste as I am. They have been ripening fairly quickly with this heat. I planted some Alabama Blackeye Butter Beans and some Pinkeye Purple Hull Peas a week or so ago, for a fall crop and they are doing well. My Christmas beans that have been planted for a long while have climbed the teepee I made for them and sort of look like cousin IT in the raised bed. They are finally blooming too. In addition, I planted another crop of green beans, called Jade Green Beans...supposed to tolorate the heat well. They are looking good too. My tomato plants are going down fast, but still producing. However, I have pulled 4 of the 16 I planted. My sweet potato plants are blooming and I can see evidence of potatoes too. Been a while since I grew sweet potatoes, so we are looking forward to them. I have a late acorn squash and zucchini that I planted which are blooming and starting to make too. I also have a new late crop of cucumbers that are about 8 inches tall now. My first crop produced, but they got powery mildew and went down fast. I just could not get rid of it, no matter what I tried. Hope your gardens are doing well. Everyone be safe in this stinking heat!!!!!

Re: Been a While - 07/10/22 04:00 AM

Praise God, we got a quarter inch of rain!! No appreciable rain in 28 days! Thankful we are!
Posted By: woodduck

Re: Been a While - 07/15/22 02:19 AM

Looking good. Thanks for sharing

Re: Been a While - 07/15/22 02:27 PM

Been a few days; had a death in the family and not much time for forums. My late zucchini and acorn squash are making great. I am about to take out my early tomato plants. They are going down fast after the brutal temps we had earlier. Already have blooms on the four Better Boy plants I put out for fall tomatoes. Hope to get some pics up soon. Gotta show the zucchini that got away from me!! Huge! 😂😂. Happy gardening everyone. Love reading about your gardens.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Been a While - 07/15/22 11:19 PM

How do you keep the worms out of your late zucchini? I want to plant another round but have always had some sort of worm carve holes through any that I've planted late.

Mrs Maggie, do you have any recommendations on Squash Vine Borers? I got about 3 weeks of good production out of my squash and 5 weeks out of my zucch's and the borers killed them all.

Re: Been a While - 07/16/22 03:15 PM

Caption Jack’s Deadbug Brew is an organic that I use and I know lots of folks don’t like it, but I use liquid sevin too. When used correctly, it is fine. I spray late after the flying things have gone to bed.

Re: Been a While - 07/16/22 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie123
Caption Jack’s Deadbug Brew is an organic that I use and I know lots of folks don’t like it, but I use liquid sevin too. When used correctly, it is fine. I spray late after the flying things have gone to bed.

I used Sevin this year too. Sprayed it middle of the day after the morning pollinating had been done. I thought that was the best time to spray, but it apparently killed all the pollinators that knew about my squash because I didn't have any more pollinated for at least a week.

Re: Been a While - 07/16/22 07:41 PM

Don’t know if you’ve heard of Felder Rushing, actual name is John Rushing, but he is a huge personality in the garden world. He worked in the horticulture department at Mississippi State University for many many years. Anyway, he is crazy smart on gardening and John is the one who told me to spray late evening. He told me spraying that way did not bother the pollinators, just the “chewers” like vine borers etcetera. I also try not to spray the blooms when I spray too.

Re: Been a While - 07/16/22 07:53 PM

Don’t know if you’ve heard of Felder Rushing, actual name is John Rushing, but he is a huge personality in the garden world. He worked in the horticulture department at Mississippi State University for many many years. Anyway, he is crazy smart on gardening and John is the one who told me to spray late evening. He told me spraying that way did not bother the pollinators, just the “chewers” like vine borers etcetera. I also try not to spray the blooms when I spray too.

Thanks for the info!

Re: Been a While - 07/16/22 07:55 PM

[Linked Image]

My ambrosia cantaloupe have been so stinking good!!!

[Linked Image]

Just got through putting up eight and a half quarts of tomato juice with the above tomatoes.

[Linked Image]

The zucchini that got away from me! 🤣 made four loaves of zucchini bread.

[Linked Image]

This morning’s harvest. Tomatoes are going down fast now. The four new Better Boy plants look great though!!

Re: Been a While - 07/17/22 12:34 PM

thumbup
Posted By: Dragfan66

Re: Been a While - 07/17/22 03:20 PM

That harvest looks very good.

Re: Been a While - 07/17/22 08:11 PM

I dug my sweet taters this motoring and have some cooking right now!!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Acorn squash blooms.

[Linked Image]
Acorn squash plants.

[Linked Image]
Second cucumber crop.

[Linked Image]
Christmas beans gone wild.

Re: Been a While - 07/17/22 08:19 PM

[Linked Image]
Late zucchini.

[Linked Image]
Late green beans; second crop.

[Linked Image]
Late Better Boy tomatoes; had to pull one today.

[Linked Image]
Late crop Alabama Blackeye butter beans.

[Linked Image]
Late crop purple hull peas.

Re: Been a While - 07/17/22 11:26 PM

All looks fantastic. How many beds do you have? I built 6 this year but I’m gonna need more

Re: Been a While - 07/18/22 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
All looks fantastic. How many beds do you have? I built 6 this year but I’m gonna need more

I have ten beds and am growing in three very large grow bags, as well as 9 cattle mineral buckets this year. I am going to ditch the buckets and incorporate some different things next year.

Re: Been a While - 07/18/22 02:43 PM

thumbup

Re: Been a While - 07/23/22 02:43 AM

Well, buzz! I had another zucchini get away from me! 😂😂😂. Looks like zucchini bread tomorrow. 🙃🙃😉

I have six acorn squash on the bar that were picked in the last couple of days. Gotta do something with them tomorrow. Second planting of cucumbers is doing well and blooming too. Those Christmas Beans are crazy blooming but no beans yet. The late purple hull peas and Alabama Black eye beans are growing well, as well as the late green beans. The ambrosia cantaloupe are making again and the okra is showing out!

I am picking my first watermelon tomorrow!! They did not get real big but, we hope they will be good.

Happy gardening!

Re: Been a While - 07/23/22 05:28 PM

Pulled and ate my first watermelon today & boy, howdy, it was sweet and good. It was not huge, but big enough for me and my hubby to half. 🍉🍉

Re: Been a While - 07/31/22 05:45 PM

Been a productive gardening summer, but I am steady taking plants up. Pulled all the tomato plants earlier, dug the sweet potatoes, took out the acorn squash today and the zucchini will not be far behind. Bought a thousand pounds of bagge dirt yesterday, to begin amending the empty beds.

I want to plant fall carrots, some greens, lettuce and cabbage. Never had much success with broccoli and cauliflower in the fall, so not planting those. The fall tomato plants I put in are struggling. Not sure how they are going to fare.

My cantaloupes have decided to start making again and my second crop of cucumbers is making. Crazy thing, my watermelons have decided to bloom again too. I have harvested most of my herbs but still have a huge basil plant. My purple hull peas are making, as well as my Christmas beans. Don’t have any blooms on my Alabama black eye butter beans yet.

So dang hot, It is difficult to get excited about going out to work the gardens.

Re: Been a While - 07/31/22 07:21 PM

Bought a thousand pounds of bagge dirt yesterday, to begin amending the empty beds. Never had much success with broccoli and cauliflower in the fall, so not planting those.

I know you're in MS, but are you close to any of the areas that have chicken houses? A couple loader buckets of chicken litter would be great for your beds.

That's surprising about the broccoli. I grow my best broccoli in the fall. I transplant it on Labor Day weekend.
Posted By: brushwhacker

Re: Been a While - 07/31/22 11:04 PM

Maggie u sure are an inspiration. Can t believe you grow all that . I feel like a rookie . I been growing for years but nothing compare to what you do. Had pretty good garden this year considering we got no rain month of June. Still getting tomato’s, pepper,squash an watermelon getting ripe. I put out some late maters. Think they was parks whoppers. I have issues with critters. Got solar powered electric fence keep deer an rabbits out. Can t keep crows away. Killed many hung them on fence . Tied up garbage bags on streamers cross garden with no effect . Nowadays I just leave few cucumbers to get big an throw them to edge of garden for crows so they stay out of rest of garden. Lol.

Re: Been a While - 08/01/22 05:15 PM

Not near any chicken houses. Amazingly though, I still have some litter in my old coop.

Thanks Bushwhacker. I have a friend that has battled crows that lives north of Tupelo, MS. Raised havoc on her tomatoes and corn. She tried shooting them too. Guessing my dogs keep them run off. Had a big ole armadillo get in the fenced yard a few nights back, but my 125 pound German Shepard made quick work of dispatching it to Dillo Heaven. We call him the German PoPo 👮‍♀️ 🐾

Re: Been a While - 08/02/22 02:16 PM

Went out this morning to check the garden beds and low & behold, I have another watermelon on the vine! We actually got some rain, so I did not have to water, yea! Green beans, Christmas beans and purple hull peas are all producing well. I cut okra yesterday and will probably need to cut again tomorrow.

Kind of excited about a delivery late today. We are getting a large bail of gin trash to incorporate into the beds with new dirt, when I start amending the beds. The three new beds I put in this past fall have done alright but I am not pleased with the soil I bought for them, I am really going to work on them, so they will perform better. In addition, the wood chips I put in the bottom are degrading and the beds contents have settled a good bit.

Glad to be rid of the acorn squash. It was creating quite the mess from the vine borers. 😖. What I did with spraying seemed to hold them off for a time but the little snots came in with a vengeance and it was all over then. 😳

Re: Been a While - 08/02/22 05:26 PM

Maggie, I watched some videos last night on Squash Vine Borers and how to get rid of them. One general theme of several videos was to inject the stem of the plants with liquid Bt. I’m going to try that

Re: Been a While - 08/02/22 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Maggie, I watched some videos last night on Squash Vine Borers and how to get rid of them. One general theme of several videos was to inject the stem of the plants with liquid Bt. I’m going to try that

Well, let me know how it works. I did not inject, but I put my spray nozzle directly over openings to no avail.

Re: Been a While - 08/02/22 11:21 PM

Will do. I'm gonna plant some this week so I'll try it on them
© 2024 ALDEER.COM