Aldeer.com

Reworked My Compost Bin...

Posted By: Irishguy

Reworked My Compost Bin... - 08/02/21 04:51 PM

Having never had one before, my compost bin had basically turned into a place where I feed the woods rats over night. And since it was near my shop it was attracting critters over there. So I moved it over nearer the garden, and vowed to revamp it a little bit. I divided it into a "composting" side and a "composted" side. I used some 1/2" screen and made a hinged frame. Now I can toss partially composted stuff onto the screen and filter it onto the "composted" side. I put a layer of 9 mil poly down, then crusher run on top of that, then 12"x12" pavers all leveled up. This is to keep the roots from growing into it, and to have a nice level, solid bottom.

Not sure if this is what I'm supposed to be doing, but I have a nice bin of good looking soil ready to go on the garden as needed now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's hinged to dump the stuff that didn't make it through the screen back into the other side for more composting.

[Linked Image]

The garden is coming along pretty decent for a first time garden... As we ate a first tomato one day, I told Mrs. Irish, that tomato only cost us about $100. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Drycreek

Re: Reworked My Compost Bin... - 08/02/21 05:07 PM

Nice setup! Yeah I built three raised beds about three years ago kind of felt the same way but have paid for themselves since then.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Reworked My Compost Bin... - 08/02/21 11:33 PM

I have a compost tumbler and that sucker is nice. Get a batch of compost about every 2 weeks plus compost tea.
Posted By: Irishguy

Re: Reworked My Compost Bin... - 08/06/21 10:29 AM

Explain this Compost Tea...
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Reworked My Compost Bin... - 08/07/21 11:25 PM

It is the liquid that leaks out of my compost tumbler. I put a bucket under it to catch it. You then have to mix it with water so it is not to strong.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Reworked My Compost Bin... - 08/08/21 01:34 PM

It really pretty good. Cut it with water and a spoon or two of auger and it’s as good as English tea!
Posted By: coldtrail

Re: Reworked My Compost Bin... - 08/08/21 02:29 PM

Good looking setup
Posted By: CNC

Re: Reworked My Compost Bin... - 08/09/21 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Irishguy
Explain this Compost Tea...

It's full of microbial life and acting like a microbial inoculant.......You're growing microbes sorta like growing yeast in the wine making process
Posted By: buzzard

Re: Reworked My Compost Bin... - 08/10/21 02:49 PM

you can also take your compost and put it into a burlap sack and let it soak in rain water you have collected. plenty of info online about making it. Good stuff.
Irish, put you some red worms in there
© 2024 ALDEER.COM