Aldeer.com

Late Summer Planting

Posted By: NWALJM

Late Summer Planting - 07/22/21 10:45 PM

Any of y’all ever try planting squash or tomatoes this time of year for fall harvest? I’ve had an awful time with my in ground garden this summer, just trying to salvage what I can if I’ve got time. I’m planning on using containers or a raised bed if I do.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/22/21 10:59 PM

Not a bad idea. Shouldnt be any problem with it. I think generally farmers are impatient. We want to get it in the ground as quick as we can. Then theres the fact that it usually turns off dry in Alabama late summer. As weird as this may sound, you better be prepared to water it if you plant it now.

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/22/21 11:03 PM

I’m fully prepared to do the maintenance needed. I think the area I’ve been planting in my backyard is just too poor of shape. I’m leaning toward going with containers or raised beds from here on out. We don’t need a big garden.

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/22/21 11:18 PM

I didnt know how much you were planting. Alot of what i plant, i dont have the option of watering.

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/22/21 11:19 PM

As far as time and good temps, you should be fine.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/23/21 12:37 AM

I have cucumbers and squash and maters in the ground the last few weeks.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/23/21 01:11 AM

Fixing to put some tomatoes, cucumbers, peas and a couple squash plants in the ground. Next month I’m planting fall potatoes, pole beans, wax beans and a fall sweet corn patch.

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/23/21 02:39 AM

Awesome, I’m hoping for redemption on this second planting. My okra is doing great, just my dang maters and squash both got blight and mildew, dying on me. My Saturday project is get some maters and squash replanted.

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/23/21 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by NWALJM
Awesome, I’m hoping for redemption on this second planting. My okra is doing great, just my dang maters and squash both got blight and mildew, dying on me. My Saturday project is get some maters and squash replanted.

Our biggest problem was the unbelievable amount of rain we got so far this year. Plant diseases and saturated roots are a killer down here. I’m still a week away from anything being dry enough to work and I live on what we call a hill. Just a lil higher then everything else around. All this rain has been good for sweet corn. Never had to water none of the later patches. My okra is doing ok, just needs to dry up. Okra don’t like wet roots.

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/23/21 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
Originally Posted by NWALJM

Our biggest problem was the unbelievable amount of rain we got so far this year. Plant diseases and saturated roots are a killer down here. I’m still a week away from anything being dry enough to work and I live on what we call a hill. Just a lil higher then everything else around. All this rain has been good for sweet corn. Never had to water none of the later patches. My okra is doing ok, just needs to dry up. Okra don’t like wet roots.

Similar problems for me, more rain than I've ever seen within a 2 month period. Tomatoes did fine starting out and we were fortunate to get a good haul from the plants we had, but they all caught some sort of blight and are dying. I saved a few suckers from the healthier tops of the plants and have transplanted them. My squash and zucchini I think just never could dry out enough, then they got powdery mildew and also root borers. I've done the best I know how with fungicide/insecticide on all of them to no avail. My okra and banana peppers have done just fine. I think part of my issue with the garden spot I've planted in the last 2 years is a combination of poor soil nutrients and drainage in spots. Sunlight could also be an issue.

I'm scheming up a new area of the yard that will get plenty of sunlight and would work great for either a raised or container garden. I need to scale back how much I'm planting anyway, and that would be more manageable for me and my time.
Posted By: coachg34

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/24/21 02:48 AM

Got about 90+ days to frost so there’s a chance . Bugs are usually worse on late season veggies
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/24/21 01:54 PM

I plant a new round of tomatoes 4th of July weekend every year. I break off suckers in early June and root them in water in our kitchen. I put 6 new ones in the ground 2 weeks ago or so. They'll start making in early September and I'll have big tomatoes coming in on those while my early ones are petering out.

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/24/21 05:06 PM

Thanks for the input fellers. Got some new German queen tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, squash, zucchini, and some bush variety green beans planted in some containers yesterday. This will be an experiment of sorts for me in my learning more about gardening, we’ll see how it goes!
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/24/21 08:23 PM

We always planted a fall garden after July 4th. We would pull all the green tomatoes that we had the night before the first frost and put them in the basement to ripen. We had ripr tomatoes for Thanksgiving all the time, but they never lasted until Christmas. Plant it and see how it does.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/25/21 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Teacher One
We always planted a fall garden after July 4th. We would pull all the green tomatoes that we had the night before the first frost and put them in the basement to ripen. We had ripr tomatoes for Thanksgiving all the time, but they never lasted until Christmas. Plant it and see how it does.

We do that too, and one year we did have some at Christmas, but only one year.
Posted By: coldtrail

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/26/21 11:49 AM

We just planted tomatoes, abot to plant some squash. I've started planting all our peas the end of July. With peas we've had better crops, less pests, and the picking is a heck of a lot better the end of September.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/27/21 02:24 AM

There's a lot of different latitudes commenting on this thread. I don't expect coastal Louisiana to be quite as cool as Hi Jackson. That's just a guess. beers

Re: Late Summer Planting - 07/27/21 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Remington270
There's a lot of different latitudes commenting on this thread. I don't expect coastal Louisiana to be quite as cool as Hi Jackson. That's just a guess. beers

We usually get a little cool snap down here in early February. That’s about it. I
Posted By: Slim1026

Re: Late Summer Planting - 08/09/21 01:26 AM

Fixing to put some tomatoes, cucumbers, peas and a couple squash plants in the ground. Next month I’m planting fall potatoes, pole beans, wax beans and a fall sweet corn patch.

Where do you get your seed potatoes this time of year?

Re: Late Summer Planting - 08/09/21 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Slim1026

Where do you get your seed potatoes this time of year?

I save them from the spring. I plant the smaller potatoes.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM