Aldeer.com

Pear tree options

Posted By: Mdees

Pear tree options - 03/14/21 11:43 AM

I’m wanting to plant a few pears at my camp in Monroe county. I understand there are some varieties which do much better than others in the southern part of the state versus the northern counties. I’m thinking Keiffer looks like a strong choice but I understand that I should have a couple to few in different varieties for cross pollination. Any recommendations for best performers for this area? Are there some widely sold varieties which I should steer clear of? I want the fruits for personal use as well as for the wildlife.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Pear tree options - 03/14/21 05:21 PM

Moonglow
Dixie Delight
Orient
Ms. Laneene
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Pear tree options - 03/14/21 08:29 PM

For wildlife look at Asian pears. They arent as good to us to eat as the variety you mentioned but the deer love them and they will hold on the tree until late december.

Wal mart has the chestnut hills pears in most of their stores now.

if you want to make a trip to Cullman North alabama nursery has 5-6 ft tall trees for $9 each. keiffer, bartlett, orient, moonglow,dabney, seckel,magness,hood,shinseiki

Re: Pear tree options - 03/14/21 10:10 PM

Thank you for the recommendations. I don’t want to plant until fall but I’m looking to get up a list of exactly what I’ll be looking for and plan the planting out. I’m still in a clearing phase now and want to take a close look at the where the most suitable locations are for planting.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Pear tree options - 03/16/21 01:29 AM

Call Allen at The Wildlife Group. He usually has a variety of pears
Posted By: coldtrail

Re: Pear tree options - 03/28/21 12:26 PM

I planted an Orient pear a few years ago. It make pears bigger than soft balls. They taste great, i dehydrated a lot last year and Um still eating them. I may try to make some wine with them this year
Posted By: CNC

Re: Pear tree options - 03/28/21 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by G/H
Call Allen at The Wildlife Group. He usually has a variety of pears

This ^^^^^....... I've got their pear package planted and they all seem to do well.......Last year I had pears dropping for several months

Re: Pear tree options - 03/28/21 09:26 PM

Does the wildlife group ship? Tuskegee is a haul from home.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Pear tree options - 03/28/21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mdees
Does the wildlife group ship? Tuskegee is a haul from home.

Yes.......Let me add this.......I'm sure that their shipping is top notch......However, the longer a seedling stays out of the ground before transplanting the more chance you have for chit not to go right......I go and get mine and have it in the ground within a few hours of them digging them up. If you have a few that die or something, I wouldnt blame it on the Wildlife Group. They have always been top notch with anything I've gotten from them.....Sometimes chit just happens......One thing I would highly recommend is that you keep them moist while you're planting and dont allow them to dry out after opening your package of trees.....Also, taking the time to plant them right and dig a proper hole matters.
Posted By: Chickenrig

Re: Pear tree options - 03/28/21 10:29 PM

I bought the pear tree bare root package last Feb . Put em in the ground and even had fruit the first year
I trimmed the leader, sprayed em with oil& permethrin
Fertilized lightly and they are off an running this spring
Ol Eddy up there knows his stuff
Great products and people
Good luck
© 2024 ALDEER.COM