Aldeer.com

Annual tomato soil prep recipe

Posted By: scrubbuck

Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/02/21 12:36 AM

Normally there is some discussion on this by now.
Last year I had a good crop using 2 shovel full goat manure and one shovel full potash from fireplace per plant when planted.
What proven methods do y'all have?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/03/21 04:24 AM

Probably bout to bring in a tri axle of top soil. This sandy rocky crap I have to plant in on this hill sucks.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/03/21 12:41 PM

I’m having to go to a bucket garden in this new house, so I’ll be using bagged soil. It should be good to go out of the bag, but I may add in some peat moss or vermiculite to make sure it doesn’t compact.
Posted By: dirtwrk

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/04/21 12:24 AM

Get you some gin trash works great I spread 18 loads Sunday .
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/04/21 12:30 AM

I've posted this every year for the last umpteen years, but if you'll put 1/2-1 cup of Dolomitic Lime in the soil mix around your tomato plant you will have no blossom end rot.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/04/21 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
I've posted this every year for the last umpteen years, but if you'll put 1/2-1 cup of Dolomitic Lime in the soil mix around your tomato plant you will have no blossom end rot.

A scoop of pelletized chicken shucks in the hole then sprinkle around every few weeks will keep it from happening to. Just doesn’t feed it potash but gives a little nitrogen and lots of calcium.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/04/21 09:31 PM

Yep, I learned this from you a while back and keep it handy. Always a good tip. I have been working in beds and preparing those mineral tubs today. Waiting for soil delivery to do some more.

I am actually putting my tomato plants in the ground this year, instead of a raised bed. Put in that new 16x16 bed and am planning to put tomato plants in it.

Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/05/21 04:06 AM

Listen to him. It works
Posted By: paintrock

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/12/21 10:39 AM

Calf starter powder. I've read that tomatos like calcium so the only quick thing I could think of was powder calf starter. I put out about half a handfull by each plant for a few weeks and I had the best tomato crop ever. I may have just had a good crop but I'll be doing the same method this year.
Posted By: Dragfan66

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/15/21 09:45 PM

Bumping this for more input.

My FIL always used Miracle Grow on his small tomato patch, produced a fine crop every year.

I have a cousin that puts his cow manure in raised beds every couple of years and produces fine tomatoes as well.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/17/21 03:21 PM

Egg shells
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Annual tomato soil prep recipe - 03/31/21 02:48 AM

Looks like I got a little too aggressive with the fertilizer and lime this year around my young plants. Several went from looking great to wilting and signs of burning overnight. I used 1 cup of pelletized lime and 1 cup 10-10-10 mixed in hole under plants.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM