Aldeer.com

Bitter turnip greens

Posted By: oakachoy

Bitter turnip greens - 11/30/20 02:10 PM

I picked a big mess of turnip greens w/roots. I like to boil them down to low water content. They were good but seemed more bitter tasting than usual. They were purple tops. Any particular reason for this? All I added was bacon and salt.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Bitter turnip greens - 11/30/20 03:35 PM

I peel the outer layeroff my roots. Usually you can see a different color on the root while peeling. If I dont get below the that layer mine are bitter too.
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: Bitter turnip greens - 11/30/20 06:52 PM

I was always told to wait until the 1st frost - has something to do with the sugar(s) in the root??? I don't know for certain, but I have always gotten mine from locals after the 1st frost.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Bitter turnip greens - 11/30/20 07:20 PM

Deer really take to them after a frost for sure
Posted By: Jtb51b

Re: Bitter turnip greens - 12/01/20 12:39 AM

Wife rinses them in vinegar, and cooks them with some chicken broth. Melt in your mouth and sweet as candy. LOVE EM.

Jason
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Bitter turnip greens - 12/01/20 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jtb51b
Wife rinses them in vinegar, and cooks them with some chicken broth. Melt in your mouth and sweet as candy. LOVE EM.

Jason

I bet chicken broth does give it a good taste. I'll have to try that next time.
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: Bitter turnip greens - 12/01/20 03:02 AM

On a side note:

We love greens (turnip, collards, and mustard) - if you don't have one, I would recommend an Instant Pot or some variation of one. We cook them with either chicken broth or vegetable broth with an onion and a smoked ham hock (or pork seasoning). The cooking time is ridiculously short - but the taste is amazing. There are several recipes on the Internet for cooking.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Bitter turnip greens - 12/01/20 04:22 AM

Turnip greens picked after a good frost need nothing but salt and a good pepper sauce. Don't tamper with perfection.

Oh yeah, you'll want a good sized chunk of cornbread with it. Just to keep the greens company in your gut of course.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Bitter turnip greens - 12/01/20 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hunting-231
I was always told to wait until the 1st frost - has something to do with the sugar(s) in the root??? I don't know for certain, but I have always gotten mine from locals after the 1st frost.

This
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Bitter turnip greens - 12/01/20 05:10 PM

Go on and pick you some now, they'll be sweet like you remember
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Bitter turnip greens - 12/03/20 01:52 AM

Daddy always said wait till frost on collards, so i do. We eat turnip greens and kale as soon as it is ready. I used to grow turnip greens for the market on daddys place. I had a few people say they were the best they had ever eaten. I assumed it was something in the dirt.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM