Aldeer.com

Guinea

Posted By: Rmart30

Guinea - 10/02/20 01:32 AM

I was hoping they wouldnt be as bad as chickens but, 10 acres to free range on and they come hang out on the front porch. At least so far they arent getting on vehicles like the chickens did.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Guinea - 10/02/20 02:24 AM

Weve got about 15 of them. They are the most annoying animals on the planet. Remind me again why we wanted these things.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Guinea - 10/02/20 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Weve got about 15 of them. They are the most annoying animals on the planet. Remind me again why we wanted these things.

the GF wanted them for bug control. They seem to be good at that. Just annoying that they can go anywhere they want and choose to be up under your feet.
She got 4 but is wanting to add 6 more. Shes going to try feeding them even farther away than she is now and moving coop farther and see if that helps
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Guinea - 10/02/20 01:27 PM

I’ve always heard that Guineas make great burglar alarms.

Re: Guinea - 10/02/20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin

They certainly scream and hollar every time the wind blows. Theyll also alert our two Pyrenees dogs when theres trouble afoot. I have seen our guineas run a big dog out of the yard.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Guinea - 10/02/20 02:59 PM

Walker, how are your boy's quail doing?

Re: Guinea - 10/03/20 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by HHSyelper
Walker, how are your boy's quail doing?

Not so good. Got one left. Several got loose, several died. Not a good experience. He did keep them in with his smaller chickens, so they might have gotten trampled or something. Might have done better with their own space. We do really well with some birds, not so much with others.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Guinea - 10/03/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Originally Posted by FurFlyin

They certainly scream and hollar every time the wind blows. Theyll also alert our two Pyrenees dogs when theres trouble afoot. I have seen our guineas run a big dog out of the yard.

They're a lot like a feathered badger. They will face any enemies and never back down. Tough little birds.
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Guinea - 10/07/20 11:02 AM

Beat guard dogs around. Make a lot of racket but let u know if sumone is around
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: Guinea - 10/07/20 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sandmtnslayer
Beat guard dogs around. Make a lot of racket but let u know if sumone is around

That is the good news, bad is that they also make a lot of racket when there is not someone around.
Posted By: Rutabaga

Re: Guinea - 10/15/20 11:03 PM

Give it a little time and you will be whittled down to three or four smart ones.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM