Aldeer.com

Old family okra seed

Posted By: marshmud991

Old family okra seed - 09/17/20 12:42 AM

My grandfather alway grew an old heirloom okra called Louisiana long horn which grows a pod that grows to about 16-18inches long and stays tender way longer then any variety I’ve planted the last couple years. . He alway kept his own seed and would keep it in the freezer. About 5 years ago the freezer went out and the seeds got thrown out with all the other stuff. So we had lost that line of okra seeds. In the early spring I was talking to one of my cousins and was telling her about losing the seeds. Her husband heard us talking and told me he still had a few seeds he had gotten from my grandfather but didn’t know if they were still good. He gave them to me and I was able to get around 25-30 plants to grow. I cut quite a bit of okra off the plants and been letting the pods go to seed. As they dry I pull the pods and remove the seeds. After 3 small pickings of dry pods I have filled a pint jar with the seed. The plants are still loaded with huge long pods that are going to go to seed. I should end up with enough seed to last a lifetime and give to a few friends. Heck I may even try to sell some. I’m so glad to be able to get this line of okra going again. [Linked Image]
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/17/20 01:37 AM

Good as rock salt in a 12 guage to deterr unwanted visitors gw etc
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/17/20 04:53 AM

What an awesome feel-good story. Thanks for sharing Marsh!
Posted By: Rutabaga

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/17/20 05:50 PM

If you decide to sell any, I will buy some.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/17/20 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rutabaga

Me too
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/17/20 08:33 PM

Cool story. Are they any good to eat or tough as new rope?

Dr. B

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/17/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Cool story. Are they any good to eat or tough as new rope?

Dr. B

Some of the best okra you’ll ever eat. Stays tender way longer then these newer varieties.

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/17/20 11:29 PM

This variety produces lots of pods and like I said earlier. A very long pod. Just a couple pods gives enough seed to plant a pretty good size patch.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/18/20 01:29 AM

That is awesome! Way to keep it going. I wouldn’t mind buying a few if you sell any.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/18/20 09:38 PM

Cool story marsh. Congrats in getting the family seed back into your control. That's almost like passing a gun down through the generations IMO. Very few things I like to eat better than fresh fried okra hot out of the grease.
Posted By: OutdoorsAL

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/18/20 10:40 PM

Add me to the list if you decide to sell.
Posted By: Ray_Coon

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/19/20 11:41 AM

x3
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/21/20 11:14 AM

Interesting, wonder if that’s the same as Bush Longhorn.
Posted By: fillmore

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/21/20 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by OutdoorsAL
Add me to the list if you decide to sell.

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/21/20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BamaPlowboy
Interesting, wonder if that’s the same as Bush Longhorn.

Close. This variety gets real tall. We have a dwarf Texas Longhorn okra that a few people plant here. It only gets 5-6’ y’all and will bush out if you let it. I got some seed from an old gentleman that I helped bale hay a few days ago. I will plant a few next spring.
Posted By: collardncornbread

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/22/20 01:41 AM

Hey Marsh. I spent some time down your way about 40 years ago. I probably ate some of that very same okra. I know they called it longhorn.
SO. PLEASE Put me on that list for some seed. Even seven seed for next spring would be a treat.
Thanks. Cornbread.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/22/20 05:36 PM

I would also like to be put on the list for seed. My son grows veggies and I know he would love to try some different variety. Thanks
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/24/20 01:40 PM

Posted By: gradythemachine

Re: Old family okra seed - 09/25/20 10:41 PM

© 2024 ALDEER.COM