Aldeer.com

Maybe my best invention ever

Posted By: FurFlyin

Maybe my best invention ever - 08/11/20 01:06 PM

I don’t know why it took me 48.875 years to come up with this idea. Lord knows I’ve chased enough gates in my life that it should have come to me sooner. All our 16 foot gate openings at the house have double hung 8 foot gates. 16 foot gates just don’t seem to last as long and unless you’re on flat ground they usually dig up in to dirt when you open them. So with a double hung gate the only option there is it to put one of those stupid little rods on it that you have to hold up and walk with the gate as you open it, or not use one and struggle to get the tractor or pickup through the opening before one of the gates blows partially closed. That is until now.

I present to you the Fur-chain. Dang thing works amazingly well. Big axe cable tie sold separately

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Out back

Re: Maybe my best invention ever - 08/11/20 01:21 PM

That's a brilliant idea. Like it. 👍
Posted By: Out back

Re: Maybe my best invention ever - 08/11/20 01:24 PM

We pretty much gave up on gates. They're all a pain in the arse.
We build gaps now, and my cousin has invented a neat little force multiplier that help open and close them while keeping them very tight.
I'll try to get a picture of the invention and send to you later.
Posted By: snakebit

Re: Maybe my best invention ever - 08/11/20 01:24 PM

Snakebit approved.
We use little wheels on our gates and they work well keeping the gate from digging the ground.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Maybe my best invention ever - 09/06/20 12:31 PM

Fur, if your cable tie ever gives up and you want an all metal solution just drill a 1/4" hole in the gate upright, cut a piece of 1" EMT 2 feet longer than the distance from the hole to the ground, drill same hole 2" from end of EMT, run a bolt with washers thru both and mount it to the gate with a unlock nut. Add a loop of wire up high to loop over the end to hold the EMT upright when the gate is closed.

Also, I have rolls of stainless steel lashing wire that are real handy for 'fixing' stuff and not having to worry about rust worms eating it up smile
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Maybe my best invention ever - 09/06/20 08:00 PM

thumbup

Re: Maybe my best invention ever - 09/06/20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
Fur, if your cable tie ever gives up and you want an all metal solution just drill a 1/4" hole in the gate upright, cut a piece of 1" EMT 2 feet longer than the distance from the hole to the ground, drill same hole 2" from end of EMT, run a bolt with washers thru both and mount it to the gate with a unlock nut. Add a loop of wire up high to loop over the end to hold the EMT upright when the gate is closed.

Also, I have rolls of stainless steel lashing wire that are real handy for 'fixing' stuff and not having to worry about rust worms eating it up smile

I'd give a right nut for about 10 rolls of that lashing wire. My dad worked for Ma Bell and we use to have a bunch of it but have used it all up.
Posted By: Be_Cam

Re: Maybe my best invention ever - 09/09/20 07:00 PM

that works good, have used it before myself. Another thing ive started doing over the years is use antifreeze jugs, filled with water. Had to use them a few times for the trucks and tractors, when they was running hot, just tie em to the gate

Re: Maybe my best invention ever - 09/10/20 01:26 AM

thumbup
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Maybe my best invention ever - 09/10/20 01:50 AM

Amazing...maybe you can travel around giving seminars on how to have revolutionized the farm gate industry. People will name their children after you for decades to come...kidding..its a good idea. Better than the stick method.

Re: Maybe my best invention ever - 09/11/20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by !shiloh!
Amazing...maybe you can travel around giving seminars on how to have revolutionized the farm gate industry. People will name their children after you for decades to come...kidding..its a good idea. Better than the stick method.

I used the stick method for 48.5 years. Problem is my sticks always got broke by a cow stepping on them. No more of that!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM