Aldeer.com

Gin trash

Posted By: jwalker77

Gin trash - 08/01/20 01:01 PM

[Linked Image]

This is a soil sample taken a couple weeks ago out of a row middle in my little garden spot, about 25ftx100ft. This is where we grew our polebeans, tomatoes and peppers. I put two dumptrucks of gintrash on it. First I added about 200lb pelletized lime to get the ph up. Before I did this the ph was around 4.0, very little organic matter, all the nutrients were in the low range. Last year our tomatoes barely produced, had blossom end rot really bad 75% of them probably. This year was much different. You can see in the soil sample chart, almost all the nutrients are off the chart. Also tha cation exchange capacity went from 5(I think) to 19, 257 told me this had to do with the organic material in the ground and its ability to hold water. I was very pleases with the results of the gin trash. It costs $35/dumptruck load. It dont just evaporate like alot of the products you might put on your garden, it will still be there next year. Some of the success was surely on account of the lime, it has alot of calcium in it, which probably stopped the blossom end rot. Our soil is very sandy, this spot in particular. The gin trash was exactly what it needed to make this little garden perform better. Productivity was probably 1000% improvement over last year. Thought yall might like this information. That price on the gin trash is if you go get it, not delivered.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Gin trash - 08/01/20 01:10 PM

We feed it to cattle

Re: Gin trash - 08/01/20 01:12 PM

I wish I had the old soil sample before I started working on it, I threw it away. All I can say is it was really poor ground.
Posted By: Ol Backwoods Boy

Re: Gin trash - 08/01/20 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by jb20
We feed it to cattle

Same here
Posted By: top cat

Re: Gin trash - 08/01/20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Backwoods Boy

Originally Posted by jb20
We feed it to cattle

Same here

Yep
Posted By: TDunson

Re: Gin trash - 08/01/20 07:39 PM

At the risk of sounding naive, when is the best time get some?

Re: Gin trash - 08/01/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by sweet-t

Theres a pile of it at the gin any time.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Gin trash - 08/01/20 10:43 PM

Nice. Can't beat the price either.

Re: Gin trash - 08/02/20 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by sweet-t

Gins usually always have some around, but prices are typically best during ginning season. That’ll be later on in the fall
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Gin trash - 08/02/20 01:21 AM

Man, I hate that stuff. It seemed like every day in the fall, I had to ride in a homemade trailer behind grandpa on the 8N down Spring Valley Drive to Rube Mitchell’s gin to shovel the trailer full, then back home to spread on 3 acres of garden. It stinks and as you break the crust, steam just rolls up. And then we can talk about the snakes and rats.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Gin trash - 08/02/20 03:05 AM

I thought this thread was about some redneck girls that couldn't hold their gin....any pics?????
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Gin trash - 08/02/20 03:11 AM

I used to feed it to my cows to supplement my hay. Had an old gin that wasn't too efficient so it had a lot of cotton seed in it.
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Gin trash - 08/02/20 03:19 PM

Very interesting info here
Posted By: paintrock

Re: Gin trash - 08/03/20 10:28 AM

Where exactly do you get this gin trash? I tried buying some a while back but must have not called around the right places. TIA..

Re: Gin trash - 08/03/20 11:07 AM

We buy from the Milstead gin in Tallassee. I don’t know where you’re at, but there’s probably ones that are closer to you
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Gin trash - 08/04/20 12:56 AM

Jake, there is a gin down around the 79/278 area somewhere that you can get it from in the fall. Nathan at Guntersville feed store was telling me about it last fall but I didn't get down there to get any.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Gin trash - 08/04/20 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by just_an_illusion
Jake, there is a gin down around the 79/278 area somewhere that you can get it from in the fall. Nathan at Guntersville feed store was telling me about it last fall but I didn't get down there to get any.

79242 Us Highway 278, Blountsville, AL 35031
Where we get it...
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Gin trash - 08/12/20 04:18 AM

They used to give it away.now people are catching on.the cotton gin in Statesville has it for $30 a load.ive got a buddy thats been swearing about it for years in his garden
Posted By: Bar270

Re: Gin trash - 08/12/20 09:35 PM

The gin is at rainbow crossing. At 278/231 next to smith poultry
© 2024 ALDEER.COM