Aldeer.com

Watermelons

Posted By: DGAMBLER

Watermelons - 07/19/20 12:48 AM

What's the key to growing them to maturity? I can get them to softball size and a little bigger, then they either rot or bust open. What the heck? Also, am I suppose to trim the vines at some point?
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Watermelons - 07/19/20 11:18 AM

What kind of watermelons did you plant ? I don't trim mine but I will pull off some of the blossoms or small melons.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Watermelons - 07/19/20 01:28 PM

The deer are taking care of mine so I’ve given up on them.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Watermelons - 07/19/20 02:32 PM

I think key is getting them in early and the cold not killing them....i planted pretty late and got some baseball size now...i. wondering if they gonna reach maturity...
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Watermelons - 07/19/20 05:49 PM

Watermelons are often a lesson in disappointment

Re: Watermelons - 07/19/20 06:33 PM

I planted crimson sweets in April. You would think some of them would be close to ready by now.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Watermelons - 07/20/20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by DGAMBLER
I planted crimson sweets in April. You would think some of them would be close to ready by now.

I planted my first patch april 28. They should be ready today. I just picked one and tried it, it was about a week away from being good and ripe. I also have way more halfhrown watermelons than large watermelons. If your plants germinate quickly, come up growing, and the first set of blooms set a crop, you will have melons early. Heavy rains while they are blooming will knock off watermelons and cause them to be later. I have seen 90day watermelons get ready in 75days in a real hot sunny summer. This has not been a great year for growing watermelons because of the weather this spring. But the weather were having now is exactly what they need.

Re: Watermelons - 07/20/20 08:11 PM

[Linked Image]citibank hours of operation
I planted in early April. Not a great year for me but I've had worse. Picked one last week that was 28# . Looks like that may ne my biggest of the year. I normally always grow one or 2 over 30 but I haven't gotten a measurable rain in weeks and the weeds are comin on strong.
Posted By: birdcarver

Re: Watermelons - 07/20/20 10:25 PM

Milognite , sold at Co Co will keep deer away, look it up at the testimonies on there web site

Re: Watermelons - 07/20/20 11:37 PM

What kind is that shiloh?

Re: Watermelons - 07/21/20 12:55 AM

I had another one split today. I may give up after this go round. My third year trying and haven't got a good watermelon yet.

Re: Watermelons - 07/21/20 01:44 AM

What kind is that shiloh?

Desert kings
Posted By: inatree

Re: Watermelons - 07/21/20 11:22 AM

Good looking melon
Posted By: Shotts

Re: Watermelons - 07/24/20 03:21 AM

Desert King are the best, they use to grow them in Bull mountain bottom and they were delicious. I have some planted this year waiting to see how they are do.
Posted By: Chris4x4Gill2

Re: Watermelons - 07/28/20 11:34 AM

I have the same problem. Mine dont get bigger than a softball before splitting. Read online they need better drainage. Going ot mix the soil with some sand next year when making the mounds.
Posted By: bambam32

Re: Watermelons - 07/29/20 02:35 PM

I grew crimson sweets in pots this year. It was my first time growing watermelons. I had two split and two made it. I believe I watered them too much which lead to the splitting. I backed off on the water and the last two made it and tasted great. I put two in each pot and I believe it was too much competition. Next year I will pUt one per pot.
Posted By: Ol Backwoods Boy

Re: Watermelons - 07/30/20 01:44 AM

Got watermelons planted in two patches. They did pretty well in the one patch but they’re all splitting in the other. Seems like the drainage is about the same but I don’t know.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Watermelons - 07/30/20 12:05 PM

It sounds like to much water. I have never planted any of these small round melons but I would think they would be the same as Jubilees or Charleston Grays. Watermelons love fallow ground and they don't need as much water as you think.

Re: Watermelons - 07/30/20 06:53 PM

I've got 2 left on the vine. Had a bunch to start with, but maybe these 2 will make it to pickin time.

Re: Watermelons - 07/30/20 07:17 PM

I've got 2 left on the vine. Had a bunch to start with, but maybe these 2 will make it to pickin time.

What kind did you plant?

Re: Watermelons - 07/31/20 08:45 PM

Crimson sweet
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Watermelons - 08/02/20 03:16 PM

We planted crimson sweets. They do pretty good. Just got our first melon yesterday and it was awesome
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Watermelons - 08/03/20 06:08 PM

I planted Charleston Grey they done pretty good, most 25-30 lbs. Been eating a lot of watermelon for the last week or so.

Re: Watermelons - 08/05/20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mike35549
I planted Charleston Grey they done pretty good, most 25-30 lbs. Been eating a lot of watermelon for the last week or so.

Evidently a Charleston gray seed got mixed up with some of the seed I purchased. It produced 2 decent size mellons but I guess growing amongst the yellow Mellon altered them some how. They where a almost pink and taste like lettuce.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Watermelons - 08/06/20 08:33 PM

My watermelons didn't do much this year...we got a couple of Sugar Babies and the others just did not do worth a poot. I had splitting issues too...lots of rain.

Re: Watermelons - 08/10/20 12:09 AM

I checked my field this afternoon. I have a row of Jubilee about 100' long and have 40-50 in the 20lb range. The deer are starting to eat the vines.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Peanut Man

Re: Watermelons - 08/21/20 03:12 AM

Make sure your pH is right. If it's too low you'll get blossom end rot. Also too much water at the wrong time is bad. My son sold over$1600 off about two acres this year. We picked 111 yesterday. That will end us for the year. Wish I could post pics. We had the truck loaded down.

Re: Watermelons - 08/22/20 06:46 PM

We split open our little watermelon yesterday. Thing was quite small for a crimson sweet, but dang it was tasty. Probably one of the sweeter ones I've ever had.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM