Aldeer.com

Turkey Poults Dying

Posted By: Coosa1

Turkey Poults Dying - 07/08/20 12:29 PM

I've had two out of my four turkey poults just up and die within the last two weeks. The only symptom that they have show is that they both just looked a bit sluggish the day before I found them dead. Just kind of walking around with their head down and not running with the others. Both times I found them dead they were just laying in the coop like they just laid down and died right there. I don't think anything is getting in there and it doesn't look like the chickens were picking on them. Anyone know what may be going on and how I might could prevent it from happening to my other two?
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Turkey Poults Dying - 07/08/20 01:31 PM

Turkeys are HARD to raise. You should never have turkeys and chickens together, the turkeys will get blackhead.

Re: Turkey Poults Dying - 07/08/20 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lonster
You should never have turkeys and chickens together, the turkeys will get blackhead.

Did not know that. Are there visible symptoms of blackhead or could that be what mine are dying from? I've had chickens and turkeys in the same enclosure in the past and never had issues.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Turkey Poults Dying - 07/08/20 02:08 PM

High protein starter 28%.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Turkey Poults Dying - 07/08/20 05:06 PM

Not sure if turkeys are susceptible the way chickens are but it Sounds like it could be cocsidiosis. Or it could be worms.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Turkey Poults Dying - 07/08/20 07:46 PM

We always let Guineas raise the turkeys for us.
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Turkey Poults Dying - 07/08/20 10:04 PM

We started with 10 4 weeks ago, had 2 die and 2 died by chicken snake, snake is dead too by the way. We have about 50 chickens but they are separated and in different coop. This may be my only go with turkeys.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Turkey Poults Dying - 07/10/20 10:33 PM

I’ll be turkey less this year I recon. Never did find and Narraganset poults.

Re: Turkey Poults Dying - 07/11/20 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
I’ll be turkey less this year I recon. Never did find and Narraganset poults.

Join Alabama turkey breeders and central Alabama poultry swap On Facebook if you have one. There was a lady that had narraganset poults one calera a couple weeks ago.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Turkey Poults Dying - 07/11/20 11:10 PM

Sounds just like black head which is caused by worms. Put acidified cooper sulfate in their water to help prevent. As stated above keep separate from chickens I keep mine off the ground in wire, no wood pens until approximately 12 weeks old.

And if anyone knows someone looking, I know a guy who surprising just had 10 hatch. They normally don’t hatch good this late.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM