Aldeer.com

Blossom End Rot

Posted By: lefthorn

Blossom End Rot - 06/17/20 10:47 PM

My tomatoes have blossom end rot. What I need to do to help stop it?
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/18/20 02:00 AM

Epsom salt
Posted By: daylate

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/18/20 03:12 AM

I sprayed FoliCal every 14 days this year from the time I planted and have not had a single tomato with blossom end rot.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/18/20 03:18 AM

I used to fight blossom end rot every year. I think it was Furflyin who recommended dolomitic lime at planting 2 years ago and I gave it a shot. I havent had blossom end rot on a single tomato since
Posted By: daylate

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/18/20 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
I used to fight blossom end rot every year. I think it was Furflyin who recommended dolomitic lime at planting 2 years ago and I gave it a shot. I havent had blossom end rot on a single tomato since

I would rather fix it at planting than stop gap it with foliar spray. How much dolomitic lime do you use per plant?
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/18/20 03:24 AM

Use pelletized lime, notice on the back of the bag the amount of calcium in it. Commercial tomato growers lime and slag their ground every year. Have your soil tested and ammend it as the sample says to. You can use pelletized lime, spread it yourself. Pretty simple.
Posted By: Hornet

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/18/20 04:13 AM

I had that problem last year. I used calcium nitrate by each plant, and have not had any problem at all this year.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/18/20 11:02 AM

Yep, it twas me. I'm glad somebody listens to my suggestions. LOL

Blossom end rot is absolutely preventable, every single time. You don't need Epsom Salt, Tums, Rolaids, Foliar Spray, Indian Totem Poles, Chi, Chakra, Judy Chops or any other "home" remedy. All you need is some dolomitic lime in the hole with the tomato plant at planting time. It really is very simple.

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/18/20 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by daylate

I would rather fix it at planting than stop gap it with foliar spray. How much dolomitic lime do you use per plant?

I put 2-3 big handfuls in each hole and mix it with the dirt. If you want a unit of measure, I'd say use one red solo cup per plant.

jwalker mentioned pelletized lime. I'm pretty sure that pelleted lime is dolomitic lime, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I have seen "Garden Lime" on bags on bags of dolomitic lime.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/18/20 07:25 PM

It is dolomitic lime. It is finely ground then pelletized. It is supposed to start working as soon as it is incorporated in the soil. I added some last year then did a soil sample two weeks later. It raised my ph over a point.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/19/20 02:28 AM

I saw where you can put lime in a 5gallon bucket and mix it with water. Then pour it around the plants.

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/19/20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
It is dolomitic lime. It is finely ground then pelletized. It is supposed to start working as soon as it is incorporated in the soil. I added some last year then did a soil sample two weeks later. It raised my ph over a point.

Good to know.
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/20/20 03:11 AM

This all is good to know. The wife said we had a lot of this as well, the blossom end rot
Posted By: CrappieMan

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/23/20 01:43 AM

Calcium nitrate will stop it!!!!
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/23/20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Triple J
Calcium nitrate will stop it!!!!

Can you put it out after the plant has grown or when you plant?

We are fighting pretty bad ourselves.

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/23/20 05:35 PM

After you plant. Just wet it good. I had it bad on 3 rows and it stopped 4 days after I put it out.
Posted By: oakachoy

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/26/20 12:34 AM

Tired of thowing tomatoes over the fence. I mixed up dolomite lime pellets and poured on plants a week ago and got some of the Stop calcium nitrate.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/26/20 01:36 AM

Put 2 or 3 TUMS in the hole when you plant always works for me

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/26/20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by oakachoy
Tired of thowing tomatoes over the fence. I mixed up dolomite lime pellets and poured on plants a week ago and got some of the Stop calcium nitrate.

You'll throw them over the fence for a few more days then be good.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/27/20 09:29 PM

I agree with the others on calcium nitrate. 2 tablespoons per plant
Posted By: Out back

Re: Blossom End Rot - 06/27/20 09:43 PM

Got milk?
Whole milk is good for tomatoes.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM