Aldeer.com

Squash Blossom End Rot

Posted By: noeyeddeer

Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/19/20 08:48 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with blossom end rot on my yellow squash. I limed it when tilling up the ground in April and fertilized it with miracle grow 2 weeks later and again 4 weeks later. Anything I can do to save some of the squash on the plant? It's growing like crazy and tons of squash but if they all rot off I'm going to be a sad man. Picture to help make sure I'm not wrong because I'm no gardener for sure.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: daylate

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/19/20 08:59 PM

That is certainly what it looks like but I never had that problem with squash. If it is blossom rot, at this point about all you could do is spray the leaves with calcium every week and make sure to keep the watering regular.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/19/20 10:17 PM

Epson Salt

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/20/20 01:36 PM

Isn't Epsom Salt Magnesium and not calcium? And don't those two nutrients have an inverse relationship so if the plant gets more Magnesium the Calcium level will go down? Just brainstorming here, thanks for the info.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/20/20 02:45 PM

It’s probably due to not being pollinated good. And yes Epsom salt is magnesium. People think it’s a cure all.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/21/20 12:47 AM

Your right I was meant bone meal.

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/24/20 01:23 AM

If your squash plants look like mine, it's definitely lack of pollination. Mine started blooming in the past few days. I have tons of little female blooms and haven't seen a male bloom yet.

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/26/20 07:44 PM

I pulled off the rotten ones so far and started getting a couple squash a day now. I'm guessing it was just pollination. For some reason my squash plant is double the size of my zucchini which I can't figure out and has a ton more fruit on them. Hopefully the zucchini catches up and the squash keeps rolling in. Thanks gentlemen!

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/26/20 08:05 PM

I checked mine again yesterday. On 6 plants I have at least 20 female squash blooms waiting to be pollinated. I still have 0 male blooms. I might as well pull those small squash off. I didn’t realize how long those little female blooms would hang on waiting to be pollinated. Some of them have been sitting there for a week. A 2” long little yellow squash with a bloom still on the end of them. They aren’t getting any larger.
Posted By: bholmes

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/29/20 04:44 PM

Fur, did you ever get a male bloom? I am having the same issue.
Posted By: oakachoy

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/29/20 05:34 PM

Curious if anyone has used Yield Booster for squash and tomato's?

Re: Squash Blossom End Rot - 05/29/20 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by bholmes
Fur, did you ever get a male bloom? I am having the same issue.

Nope. I checked them yesterday. My plants are loaded with little yellow squash that are going to fall off.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM