Aldeer.com

Question

Posted By: Geezer

Question - 01/18/20 09:15 PM

We all know that your tomatoes need calcium so why can’t you just put a calcium tablet in the holes when you plant them or dissolve some in water and pour it around your plant? Oh do any of you make your compost tea if so what is your fomular?
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Question - 01/19/20 07:34 AM

one of my favorite memories of my paw paw was potting tomato plants with him. He’d always keep a roll of Rolaids in the front pocket of his Liberty’s and every time I’d make a hole, he’d crush a Rolaids tablet and drop it down in the hole before placing the plant on top and covering the roots with dirt. I still do the same thing to this day, every mater plant I put in the ground gets a Rolaids or Tums tablet crushed in the hole. Seldom have a problem with Blossom End Rot.

Re: Question - 01/19/20 12:40 PM

Makes sense 😃
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Question - 01/20/20 12:57 PM

I always just put Epson Salt in each hole.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Question - 01/20/20 02:12 PM

I generally use epsom salt but the Roland idea has merit!!
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Question - 01/20/20 08:55 PM

I used to put crushed egg shell in mine, but there are far easier ways to do it.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Question - 01/21/20 02:50 AM

Oyster shells also work good. But the Rolaids anti-acid tablets also make sense.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Question - 01/21/20 02:56 AM

Dolomitic lime is all you need. It's a calcium and magnesium source. No Rolaids, no Epsom salt, and no more blossom end rot. Epsom salt is magensium, not calcium.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Question - 01/21/20 01:49 PM

Correct, I was just mentioning I use it to prevent blossom end rot.
Posted By: Runningdeer

Re: Question - 01/21/20 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer
We all know that your tomatoes need calcium so why can’t you just put a calcium tablet in the holes when you plant them or dissolve some in water and pour it around your plant? Oh do any of you make your compost tea if so what is your fomular?

Geezer, if you can ever catch TChunter on here, he used to grow some of the finest tomatoes. He used compost tea and could probably share his "recipe" with you.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Question - 02/10/20 02:08 AM

I noticed lawnlime had alot of calcium in it. If your garden spot needs lime you might try using pelletized lawnlime. It works instantly and in theory it should handle the calcium problems too. I sure hope my thinking on that is correct because thats the basket im putting my eggs in this year. That and ginn trash. I saw some tomatoes growing in ginn trash last year, biggest tomatoe plants and tomatoes ive ever seen, it was amazing, no fertilizer, just ginn trash. Dangdest thing ive ever seen. Im gona disk a couple dumptruck loads into my little garden spot here before long.

Re: Question - 02/10/20 01:40 PM

I have heard of the gin trash and it works the only draw back on using that is all the pesticide cotton farmer use 😟but then I lived through lead paint, drinking water from a hose, ddt, and a whole lot of other things so go for it. If I had access to to some gin trash I would use it too.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM