Aldeer.com

Okra!!

Posted By: marshmud991

Okra!! - 07/30/19 10:34 PM

Ran outa bucket long before I ran outa okra plants. It’s really starting to produce now. Time to start passing it on to friends and family. [Linked Image]
Posted By: jb20

Re: Okra!! - 07/31/19 12:39 AM

Mines finally coming on I picked 5 or 6 pods today 🤣 hopefully others will produce but I'm bout tired of my garden right now...thats a nice batch marsh
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Okra!! - 07/31/19 01:43 AM

Dang!! You got it going on...looks great!!!
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Okra!! - 07/31/19 01:48 AM

I planted mine WAY too thick. It's so thick I can't tell if it's even blooming. I already thinned it but may have to thin it again.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Okra!! - 07/31/19 11:20 AM

Im bout outa freezer space thanks to okra
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Okra!! - 07/31/19 11:41 AM

Fur get your hoe and give it hell, it needs room to make.

Marsh you need to have a BYOB (bring your own bucket) okra party.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Okra!! - 08/01/19 03:06 PM

I’m getting a 5 gallon bucket full every other day and have been for the past month. It’s really starting to produce more now and covered with blooms. Bring your bucket and help yourself.
Posted By: ts1979flh

Re: Okra!! - 08/01/19 03:38 PM

We grilled some okra the other night. We cut both ends off the pods, tossed them in olive oil and seasoned well with kosher salt and black pepper. Grilled them until they had a nice char. They were good.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Okra!! - 08/01/19 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ts1979flh
We grilled some okra the other night. We cut both ends off the pods, tossed them in olive oil and seasoned well with kosher salt and black pepper. Grilled them until they had a nice char. They were good.

Why cut the ends off? The pointy tip eats good and the other end is a good handle. Grilled is better than fried.
Posted By: ts1979flh

Re: Okra!! - 08/01/19 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer

Why cut the ends off? The pointy tip eats good and the other end is a good handle. Grilled is better than fried.

I'm not sure why she cut the ends off. I would have left them. She washed and trimmed them. I did the rest.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Okra!! - 08/02/19 01:48 AM

Grilled okra and baked okra are my favorites. I don’t cut the ends off though.

Re: Okra!! - 08/04/19 12:26 PM

I went prepared this morning. Went with 2 buckets. It’s really starting to produce now. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Okra!! - 08/04/19 04:29 PM

Some of your okra has done turned purple.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Okra!! - 08/04/19 08:21 PM

Splane that colored okra.

Re: Okra!! - 08/04/19 08:23 PM

Send a bucket up my .way.

Re: Okra!! - 08/04/19 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts

It’s called Red Burgandy and it turns green when you cook it. Not quite as slimy and a little sweeter taste. Really good variety to pick small and pickle. It’s very prolific. That means it makes a lot. rofl
Posted By: quailman

Re: Okra!! - 08/05/19 01:29 AM

Never been able to keep the damn ants off mine. Dont even try and grow it anymore.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Okra!! - 08/13/19 12:42 PM

My row of okra has really been tiring it on the past 2 weeks. Some of the stalks are about 1.25” diameter. I don’t recall ever having any stalks that large.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Okra!! - 08/13/19 05:56 PM

I think 3 stalks would provide all the okra I need.

Re: Okra!! - 08/14/19 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by marshmud991

It’s called Red Burgandy and it turns green when you cook it. Not quite as slimy and a little sweeter taste. Really good variety to pick small and pickle. It’s very prolific. That means it makes a lot. rofl

Slime is the best part. I saw a shat load of it growing on co rd 15 in Chilton county yesterday. If I had the time i wouldnt mind having a row. Farmers markets is where I get mine sometimes.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Okra!! - 08/15/19 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by marshmud991

Slime is the best part. I saw a shat load of it growing on co rd 15 in Chilton county yesterday. If I had the time i wouldnt mind having a row. Farmers markets is where I get mine sometimes.

Dang you were right by me trox and outback’s

Re: Okra!! - 08/15/19 01:12 PM

Any of that okra yours?
Posted By: Stob

Re: Okra!! - 08/15/19 09:18 PM

Boiled Okra could put KY Jelly outta Bidness.

Re: Okra!! - 08/15/19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stob

Mite.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Okra!! - 08/26/19 12:22 AM

My okra is poring it on. I have to cut it every other day. The stalks are over 7’ tall.

Re: Okra!! - 08/26/19 03:19 AM

Same here. Getting 10gals every other day. Kinda slowed some the last week with all this rain.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Okra!! - 08/26/19 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stob

I heard once that if you put the okra in a skillet over high heat for a couple minutes, then stir in a couple tablespoons of white vinegar with it, you could boil or fry it slime free.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Okra!! - 08/27/19 06:17 PM

I spent summers as a kid on the farm with my grandparents and my Grandfather truck farmed. Good gawd I hated Okra.He would have kicked my arse if I cut any as large as those.His clients liked them young and tender.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM