Aldeer.com

corn ?

Posted By: BhamFred

corn ? - 07/08/19 09:42 PM

Never grown good corn so give me some guidance in how to grow corn. Mine is about two foot high right now.

Fertilize? spray? for what?
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: corn ? - 07/08/19 10:06 PM

I put down a high rate of a 16-16-16 preplant. Make my elevated beds and plant seeds 2” deep and then lay the drip tape on top of the seed. As the seed germinates I move the drip tape next to the little plants so the plants can grow straight. If it’s dry I irrigate the corn every 2 days. When the plants get about a foot tall I sidedress with ammonium sulfate. I will do this every week till the silks start to dry up.
Corn is a heavy nitrogen feeder and doesn’t like any competition. I cheat and plant the RR sweet corn. I usually only have to spray one time just before I side dress the first time. You will get a few weed about the time the ears are forming but not enough to affect the yield.
The 3 rows on the left were planted a week ahead of the 3 rows on the right. Going good so far. Just hope that storm don’t come and knock it all down. [Linked Image]

Re: corn ? - 07/09/19 01:54 AM

thanks Mud, appreciate it.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: corn ? - 07/09/19 02:04 AM

The key to growing good corn is dumping the fertilizer on it. Seriously.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: corn ? - 07/09/19 03:50 PM

It’s time to lay it by. Strow ammonium nitrate along the row and then come down the row with a plow covering the ammonium nitrate and the stalk roots with dirt.

We picked our corn yesterday (G90), 4 rows, each row 90’ long, just over 600 ears of corn.
Posted By: top cat

Re: corn ? - 07/11/19 08:55 PM

Always had good luck with it. Truck croped a few times but never made much money. Daddy always said if you ain't got fresh ears for the 4th you didn't do it right. Always did. Don't fool with it anymore. Too dang lazy especially when I can get a 12 dozen ears for $20.
Posted By: gman

Re: corn ? - 07/12/19 12:38 AM

Wow, 12doz for $20! Family discount or something? Our fundraiser was $5/doz. but it was a fundraiser.
Posted By: gman

Re: corn ? - 07/12/19 12:40 AM

Good fert pre-plant and side dress well (if adequate water) by V6. It and okra bout all i can grow...

Re: corn ? - 07/17/19 05:52 PM

what kind of pests am I looking for and what do I spray the corn with to kill em?
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: corn ? - 07/17/19 08:27 PM

As already stated, fertilizer is the key.

Regarding pests, corn ear worms are very problematic. A natural way to get rid of them is to use Bt. Comes in a powder called Dipel dust or in a liquid. I put it on the silks as soon as they form

Re: corn ? - 07/17/19 08:49 PM

I've got dipel on hand
© 2024 ALDEER.COM