Aldeer.com

Planting garlic??

Posted By: FurFlyin

Planting garlic?? - 06/11/19 01:31 AM

What's the in's and out's of planting and raising garlic? Is it too early to plant for fall?
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Planting garlic?? - 06/11/19 02:24 AM

I would wait till mid August for your area. It’s planted in early September down here. Plant individual cloves with the point up and about 2” deep. Garlic is really easy to grow.

Re: Planting garlic?? - 06/11/19 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info.

Re: Planting garlic?? - 06/12/19 01:47 AM

Talked to a wise elderly gentleman today and he said “ you plant dem garlics when dem chiren go to
School and you pick dem garlics when dem chiren get outa school”. Which means he plants at the end of August and pulls them at the end of May.

Re: Planting garlic?? - 06/12/19 02:14 AM

I figured out a long time ago that if you want a good garden, do what the wise older folks say. My wife starts back to school on 7/31 but I'll wait a few weeks after that to plant it. I can't believe that teachers have to start back to school in JULY. The kids go back the next week. That's just stupid, but has nothing to do with growing garlic.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Planting garlic?? - 06/13/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
Talked to a wise elderly gentleman today and he said “ you plant dem garlics when dem chiren go to
School and you pick dem garlics when dem chiren get outa school”. Which means he plants at the end of August and pulls them at the end of May.

Excellent info!! I am about to harvest mine.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Planting garlic?? - 06/14/19 01:49 AM

Smells like bologna.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Planting garlic?? - 06/14/19 03:00 AM

My inlaws planted some forever ago, and it is still going strong. I think it is kin to kudzu.
Posted By: birdcarver

Re: Planting garlic?? - 06/14/19 09:01 PM

QUESTION .I have a huge garlic plant that comes up every year, don't know any thing about seed from plant ,do you dig up pod from ground to replant or can you plant the flower on top of plant which looks like it could be seed pod

Re: Planting garlic?? - 06/14/19 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by birdcarver
QUESTION .I have a huge garlic plant that comes up every year, don't know any thing about seed from plant ,do you dig up pod from ground to replant or can you plant the flower on top of plant which looks like it could be seed pod

Pull up the bulb and let cure. Separate cloves and make you a furrow about 4” deep. Sprinkle you a little fertilizer (13-13-13) or some good compost and work it in the soil covering fertilizer with about 2” of soil. Take each clove and plant them individually about 2” deep and 6” apart. Plant clove root side down and the point up. Keep the weeds out and you should have a nice bulb of garlic for each plant in the spring.
Posted By: birdcarver

Re: Planting garlic?? - 06/15/19 01:53 AM

Thanks
© 2024 ALDEER.COM