Aldeer.com

easiest things to grow in garden?

Posted By: Rmart30

easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/03/19 02:43 AM

What do you guys say the easiest things to grown in a garden are? This would be a remote location that I may only be able to go to once a week so something that requires daily watering would be out.

I was thinking maybe melons,pumpkins and squash.
Posted By: deadeyesdad

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/03/19 03:53 AM

Green beans. Get the bush type. You will need to pick regularly when they start producing.
Posted By: Luke Stepp

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/03/19 04:06 AM

Jalapenos. So easy to grow it'll make you think you have a green thumb. If you're serious about it, plant several different varieties with varying levels of heat, along with some other peppers. Melons wouldn't be a bad idea.

Rosemary can grow anywhere. Okra might be worth a shot. Peas too...l haven't planted them in my garden, but they grew like weeds in our garden when I was a kid.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/03/19 02:09 PM

Green beans are easy but they would need to be picked more than once a week when they start producing. Melons don't need that much attention and neither do peas but the deer love them!! Yep, peppers are an easy crop too.
When okra starts producing you would need to pick it more than once a week or you would have pods a foot long and not worth eating when they get hard. Good luck with it!
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/03/19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie123

When okra starts producing you would need to pick it more than once a week or you would have pods a foot long and not worth eating when they get hard!

The truth.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/03/19 04:56 PM

Yeller squash

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/04/19 09:22 PM

yellow squash, cucumbers,bell peppers,eggplant, 3 kinds of cantaloupe, yellow and 3 different kinds of red watermelons and 2 different types of pumpkins in the ground today. This rain should give em a good start.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/06/19 02:52 PM

Squash
Posted By: daylate

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/06/19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
Squash

Squash is by far the hardest thing to grow in my garden. See vine borers post. We can't get a single plant to survive the onslaught here.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/06/19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by daylate
Squash

Squash is by far the hardest thing to grow in my garden. See vine borers post. We can't get a single plant to survive the onslaught here.

Yep I agree. I’ve never had a jalepeno plant fail.
Posted By: Dead down wind

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/06/19 04:10 PM

radishes,
Posted By: Festus

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/07/19 09:50 PM

WEEDS!!!!!
Posted By: Stob

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/08/19 03:47 PM

Okra and Peppers.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/10/19 12:00 PM

Squash is the hardest then melons. Melons are hard because they require quality soil and water.

Squash is hard because of pollination issues i think. Not the bees like we use to have. Hand pollinate them to be sure. Female squash have a baby squash as a stem berween main atem and flower. Males have regular stems.

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/10/19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
Squash is the hardest then melons. Melons are hard because they require quality soil and water.

I hope its suitable ground. It was a tomato farm for quite a while, then let mostly go wild with trees and such for the last 12-15 years. Im planting the areas that had no large trees and was mainly blackberry thickets and weeds. Soil is sandy loam on top but about a six inches to a foot down hit clay in most areas.
I will do a soil test for next year.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/11/19 01:46 AM

Nut grass. I can send you a good start. I will absolutely guarantee you it will be easy to maintain.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/11/19 12:51 PM

Squash

Huh...never had a problem...i wonder if yall aint doin somethin right..seriously..i grow yeller squash the same way my daddy did an his before him..make a mound..plant 2-4 seedsper mound...do 3 or 4 mounds like that...proceed to pick so much squash i stand at the road an try to give it away. I put eggshells and a little fertilizer onem..matter o' fact i aint ever known anybody who had trouble withem...whatchall rekin ye problem is?
Posted By: alhawk

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/14/19 06:07 PM

Squash

Huh...never had a problem...i wonder if yall aint doin somethin right..seriously..i grow yeller squash the same way my daddy did an his before him..make a mound..plant 2-4 seedsper mound...do 3 or 4 mounds like that...proceed to pick so much squash i stand at the road an try to give it away. I put eggshells and a little fertilizer onem..matter o' fact i aint ever known anybody who had trouble withem...whatchall rekin ye problem is?

May be the vine borers are not as bad in your neck of the woods. I have also quit trying in my area. Beautiful plants and blooms everywhere. Start getting a few and then next day, dead as a hammer.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/14/19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by alhawk
Squash

May be the vine borers are not as bad in your neck of the woods. I have also quit trying in my area. Beautiful plants and blooms everywhere. Start getting a few and then next day, dead as a hammer.

I'm planting 3 times as many squash as I typically do because I know the vine borers are going to take them out in a hurry. It sucks.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/14/19 09:51 PM

Apparently potatoes a pretty easy. So easy even a coonass can do it. I got have the patch dug and I done got way more than we will probably need and spread a chit load of them around to friends and family. I got 73lbs off of one row yesterday and I had already given away a 3gal bucket full to my nieghbor. I got this off 3 rows today minus the potatoes that 4 people came got. They took around 40lbs combined. Still got 5 rows left to dig. [Linked Image]
Posted By: alhawk

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/15/19 01:40 AM

Looks good Marsh. First job was on a potato farm. You can have them all laugh
Posted By: mike35549

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/15/19 01:43 AM

Around here peppers hands down. Can't hardly grow potatoes to much clay.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/15/19 02:01 AM

So Marsh, do you think you got enough for a mess of french fries? smile
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/15/19 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin

Shoot man, I done ate 2 messes of fries and 3 batches of green beans with fresh potatoes in them. And the last batch of green beans had bacon in it. We livin large down here in the marsh.

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/16/19 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
Originally Posted by FurFlyin

Shoot man, I done ate 2 messes of fries and 3 batches of green beans with fresh potatoes in them. And the last batch of green beans had bacon in it. We livin large down here in the marsh.

I heard that!
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/17/19 09:03 PM

SON!! You GREW some taters!!! I knew your harvest would be bountiful when I saw how much you planted,but you surpassed my expectations!!! WELL DONE!!!
Posted By: globe

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/17/19 11:56 PM

Bumblebees pollinate more than honeybees imo around here anyway, but the dang squash bugs cut every bloom unless I poison them.
Peppers for sure are easiest. Plant several varieties.

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/18/19 12:54 PM

Nobody has posted the correct answers yet.

There are 4 plants that are all equally as easy to grow in a garden. Nothing else comes close.

1) Crab grass
2) Morning Glory's
3) Pigweed
4) Bermuda grass
Posted By: Geezer

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/19/19 10:38 PM

Grass🤣

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/19/19 11:06 PM

Nutsedge and cow peas are what I have the biggest problem with

Re: easiest things to grow in garden? - 05/19/19 11:13 PM

I went with an easy garden this year.. 3 tomato , squash and watermelons. [Linked Image]
© 2024 ALDEER.COM