Aldeer.com

garden planted

Posted By: Maggie123

garden planted - 04/28/19 07:07 PM

Finally got everything planted. Have English peas up and going gang busters, green beans, cucumbers, giant German radish, carrots, parsnips, big bed of onions, bell pepper, cayenne pepper, jalapeno pepper, 24 tomato plants, butter crunch lettuce, dill, basil, parsley, two types of thyme, summer savory and watermelons in the empty chicken coop. Will get some photos up soon. Hope your gardens are doing well!!

All ofmy tomatoes are in grow boxes this year. Since I had tomatoes in every raised bed last year, I opted to put my grow boxes to use and not plant in the same place this year.
Posted By: G/H

Re: garden planted - 04/28/19 09:32 PM

Finished mine today.[Linked Image]
Posted By: 300gr

Re: garden planted - 04/29/19 01:56 AM

Looks like it is going to keep you busy
Posted By: BobK

Re: garden planted - 04/29/19 02:02 AM

thumbup
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: garden planted - 04/29/19 05:40 PM

Y’all got me jealous. Maybe I’ll get mine done this weekend now that turkey season will be over.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: garden planted - 04/30/19 02:10 AM

Bet those watermelons do good in the old coop.

Re: garden planted - 05/01/19 09:16 PM

That is ambitious G/H!! Good luck with it!

[Linked Image]
Sweet corn

[Linked Image]
Butter crunch lettuce starts

[Linked Image]
English peas

[Linked Image]
Lemon thyme and sweet basil

[Linked Image]
Overview

[Linked Image]
Two types of parsley

continued..

Re: garden planted - 05/01/19 09:25 PM

[Linked Image]
Parsnips and carrots with garlic in the back. Photo bomb by Mike..

[Linked Image]
Pepper plants, dill and basil.

[Linked Image]
Tomatoes

[Linked Image]
Giant German radishes, cucumber plants and green beans.

[Linked Image]
Tomatoes.

[Linked Image]
Tomatoes.

Didn't get the watermelon plants but will after they grow a bit.

Re: garden planted - 05/01/19 09:26 PM

Happy gardening folks!

Thanks for looking.

[Linked Image]
Onion bed...these will get large bulbs on them.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: garden planted - 05/03/19 12:29 AM

Maggie I think you are the first person I have ever seen that planted a dang parsnip, what are they and what kind of yankee are you? rofl

Re: garden planted - 05/03/19 01:58 PM

Rather than try to explain it, here from Wiki:

The parsnip (Pastinaca sativa) is a root vegetable closely related to carrot and parsley; all belong to the family Apiaceae. It is a biennial plant usually grown as an annual. Its long, tuberous root has cream-colored skin and flesh, and, left in the ground to mature, it becomes sweeter in flavor after winter frosts. In its first growing season, the plant has a rosette of pinnate, mid-green leaves. If unharvested, in its second growing season it produces a flowering stem topped by an umbel of small yellow flowers, later producing pale brown, flat, winged seeds. By this time, the stem has become woody and the tuberous root inedible.

The parsnip is native to Eurasia; it has been used as a vegetable since antiquity and was cultivated by the Romans, although some confusion exists between parsnips and carrots in the literature of the time. It was used as a sweetener before the arrival in Europe of cane sugar.

The parsnip is usually cooked, but it can also be eaten raw. It is high in vitamins and minerals, especially potassium. It also contains antioxidants and both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. It should be cultivated in deep, stone-free soil.

They are truly good. You can roast them, boil and mash them with butter, put them in stews or slice them like fries toss them in a bit of oil, S&P and bake them in the oven.

[Linked Image]

Ahemmmm...I ain't no damn yankee!!! slap rofl

Re: garden planted - 05/08/19 04:14 PM

[Linked Image]

Little fireballs!! lol
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: garden planted - 05/08/19 07:57 PM

I have 72 cantelopes to put out. About 30 watermelons. Corn, beans, okra, maters and so on. Gonna try to have it done this weekend. Im behind. Cuttin into my fishin too. And i work 50hrs a week lol.

Re: garden planted - 05/08/19 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
I have 72 cantelopes to put out. About 30 watermelons. Corn, beans, okra, maters and so on. Gonna try to have it done this weekend. Im behind. Cuttin into my fishin too. And i work 50hrs a week lol.

Gotcha work cut out for ya hon! Good luck with it!!! The way temps have been, you are right on time!!

Re: garden planted - 05/25/19 04:02 PM

Garden update.....growing well.

[Linked Image]
Parsnips and carrots

[Linked Image]
Peppers and herbs finally taking off with this hot weather.

[Linked Image]
Sweet corn

[Linked Image]
Hulk green beans

[Linked Image]
cucumbers

continued...

Re: garden planted - 05/25/19 04:07 PM

[Linked Image]
English peas...picked already about another picking and they will be pretty much over.

[Linked Image]
onion patch gone wild..

[Linked Image]
tomato plants

[Linked Image]
more tomato plants..

[Linked Image]
more tomato plants..

[Linked Image]
last of the tomato plants..

continued...

Re: garden planted - 05/25/19 04:14 PM

[Linked Image]
Chicken coop watermelon vine..

[Linked Image]
Chicken coop watermelon vines..

[Linked Image]
English peas..

Thanks for looking..

How is your garden doing?

Posted By: 300gr

Re: garden planted - 05/26/19 12:42 AM

Just got tomato's planted for now. Going to plant squash, cucumbers,okra and peppers
Posted By: Out back

Re: garden planted - 05/26/19 12:44 AM

I hope you get some rain.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: garden planted - 05/26/19 01:21 AM

Ms Maggie, you might want to plant more tomatoes. smile

I'm the same way, I've got more of them planted than anything else.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: garden planted - 05/27/19 04:36 AM

Lookin good lookin good Ms Maggie!

Re: garden planted - 05/29/19 10:09 AM

Thanks, guys. Taking out the English pea vines and the onion patch this week. Peas are done & that dang onion patch was a disappointment this year. Onions got beat up during several storms just after planting and never fully recovered. Flowers going in the onion patch and I have not decided what I will put in the bed where peas were planted.

Found my first watermelon on the vine!!! Have to get out and tie up tomatoes too. Happy gardening!

Re: garden planted - 06/06/19 10:24 PM

English peas are gone as well as the onion patch at the house; still have two onion beds at the cabin. Have planted flowers where the onion patch was located at the house and am planting dwarf okra where the English peas were planted. My tomatoe plants are doing great and have tomatoes all over them. I have picked three messes of green beans with more to come. So far I have picked about a dozen cucumbers and made pickles once. We have eaten carrots three times, thinning them out so some can get larger. My corn is looking mighty fine for a small block of corn, and I have two ears to the stalk. So far this year, things are going gang busters....and those watermelons in the coop!! Yowza!!!
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: garden planted - 06/10/19 11:30 PM

Looks like you did very well with your garden! Very nice.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: garden planted - 06/11/19 04:29 PM

Ate my first mater's this week from my little raised bed. BLT is hard to beat with home growns.

Re: garden planted - 06/13/19 02:18 PM

Thanks, Reloader79. Took out the green bean plants day before yesterday. Pulled three quarts of beans off as I pulled the vines. I may plant some more of those.Thinking I will be harvesting corn the end of the week.

You are so right alhawk!! Love a BLT!!

Re: garden planted - 06/19/19 08:14 PM

Harvested corn today. My corn patch was in a low bed 8’x3’ planted in a block. All in all, I got right at 90 ears of corn!! Picked several times and then harvested the last 62 ears this morning. Did not find the first worm!! Truly pleased with that amount of corn from such a small patch.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: garden planted - 06/19/19 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie123
Harvested corn today. My corn patch was in a low bed 8’x3’ planted in a block. All in all, I got right at 90 ears of corn!! Picked several times and then harvested the last 62 ears this morning. Did not find the first worm!! Truly pleased with that amount of corn from such a small patch.

That’s very impressive for a small patch!! I’m at 324 ears so far in my patch. The last ears are just a few days from being read. I should hit 400 ears easily.

Re: garden planted - 06/28/19 02:55 PM

[Linked Image]
My corn was good...pulled all the stalks this morning and will plant some Arkansas Travler tomato plants in that bed now for a late crop.

[Linked Image]
Peach jam; done! Strawberry jam done too and in the pantry! Will make fig preserves and muscadine jelly when those come in.

[Linked Image]
First dill pickles. Bread and Butter pickles are in the pantry but I will make more of both. Pickled Hot Dilly beans are made and in the pantry too.

[Linked Image]
My first sugar-baby!

[Linked Image]
This morning's harvest...lettuce, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno peppers, cayenne peppers, cucumbers, carrots and parsnips.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: garden planted - 06/28/19 06:47 PM

Maggie all those vegetables on that table are beautiful. I’ve never seen Alabama carrots that look that nice. What do you do with the parsnips?

Re: garden planted - 06/28/19 07:37 PM

My HERO does it again. That’s just beautiful.

Re: garden planted - 06/28/19 07:47 PM

You are both too kind; thank you. Parsnips can be boiled and mashed like creamed potatoes, roasted with a bit of olive oil, S&P or cooked just about any way you would cook a carrot. They are very similar. For clarification, these veggies were grown in my raised beds at our house in Mississippi. Growing carrots in raised beds with good loose soil is easy and they are so much better than what we buy at the grocery store.

I was proud to see bunches of earth worms in my beds when I dug my garlic too!! Several years ago I ordered 2000 red wigglers and distributed them in my raised beds to help keep the soil from compacting. They have done their job very well and seem to have flourished....I have fish bait anytime I want it!! LOL!!!

Thanks again and yall have a great weekend. Oh, Marsh how many ears of corn did you wind up with? Curious minds and all......

Re: garden planted - 07/03/19 05:48 PM

Canned tomatoes this past weekend; 30 quarts and 1 pint. Color me done...These are my tomatoes and tomatoes I bough from an old gal I buy from every summer to hep her out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: garden planted - 07/03/19 08:37 PM

nice, Maggie, very nice.

Re: garden planted - 07/06/19 05:00 PM

Thanks!

Re: garden planted - 07/07/19 08:32 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Garden goodness picked this morning & afterwards: Bread and Butter pickles; five pints in back, cayenne pepper sauce; one pint left middle, jalapeños one pint in middle, dill pickles; three pints front right & middle and one behind in middle pn end & one quart garlic dills, front left.

My tomatoes are coming in gangbusters and going down FAST!!! Gotta get those other plants in the ground!

Re: garden planted - 07/09/19 10:52 PM

[Linked Image]

After picking this morning, I had to do something with tomatoes..did not need any more canned so, salsa it was!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lot of work for seven pints of salsa...whew

[Linked Image]

My calico, BayBay, is not at all happy with the canned goods on the table...photo bomb to show her displeasure!

My tomato vines are going down fast!!! Maybe one or two more pickings from these vines but boy howdy have they produced!!! Arkansas Travlers going in in a day or two for my late tomato crop.

Re: garden planted - 07/10/19 12:30 AM

Now that’s how you decorate table. That’s got to be the prettiest table I have ever seen. I got 35 young tomato plants in the ground and in pots. I’m hoping I can make some good tomatoes this fall. Dang storm killed all my spring plants just as they started to produce. You’re awesome Mrs. Maggie!!
Posted By: alhawk

Re: garden planted - 07/10/19 12:56 PM

Pretty incredible spread and congratulations. Your hard work paid off.
I agree with you on the salsa. We used to get leftovers from Oneonta after season by the case. We made salsa for a few years and finally decided it was more trouble than we wanted rofl
Posted By: grundan

Re: garden planted - 07/10/19 02:19 PM

I hope my tomatoes make half as good as yours. Very well done!
They are just starting to ripen. We planted a few varieties of sweet corn, the row on the left is really short and made ears first. The other rows are starting to fill out the ears.
And we have some late corn we planted about 4 weeks after the first.

[Linked Image]shell service station locator

Re: garden planted - 07/10/19 03:14 PM

Thanks! Honestly,I am about ready for the tomatoes to go out! I was very fortunate this year and have so many put up I do not really need any more. I agree on the salsa; lots of work goes into making it. Hubby tasted it and said, "That tastes just like salsa you buy in the jar." Guess that was a nice compliment. rofl I just looked at him and said, "It is salsa in a jar!! " rolleyes

Just came in from harvesting sugar baby watermelons from the empty chicken coop. We have already picked five, I harvested twelve today and there are probably a half dozen more on the vine, with blooms still making!! Not bad for three vines! Yall be careful out in the heat!!!!! I thought I was going to pass slap dab out before I finished picking, I was so darn hot.

[Linked Image]

Re: garden planted - 07/12/19 09:18 PM

Grundan that looks like a fine garden!!! Hope your crops are bountiful!!

I am going to put the three Arkansas Travlers in the ground in a day or two, finally arrived today, so I want to break them into the sun easy. My other tomatoes are toast...still have a few on the vine that I will probably pick off tomorrow. My okra has finally taken off; planted some dwarf okra a while back so hope it makes. Need to harvest carrots and parsnips soon too. Harvested my dill yesterday and have it drying. Want to plant some late green beans too. Need to get those in the ground.

About tired of canning though. So far, this year, I have canned: 10 pt. & 4 qt. Bread and Butter pickles; 4 qt. Garlic Dill Spears; 3 pt. sliced Dill pickles, 7 pt. Salsa; 2 pt & 35 qt. canned Tomatoes; 12 pt. peach jam; 21 qt. Hot Dilly Beans; 5 pt. & 5-8oz. jars strawberry jam; 1 pt. hot pepper sauce and 1 pt. jalapeno pepper.

I want to make some fig perserves when the figs come in and some muscadine jelly when they ripen but think I will take a break until then.

Re: garden planted - 07/29/19 08:43 PM

Been a minute since I posted. Harvested all the carrots and parsnips. Parsnips were not a raging success; never got big. So, that will not be done again but it was a good experiment. Carrots made very well and I love growing them.

Arkansas Travelers in the ground and are already blooming with two actual tomatoes on the vine already. Fed them good and put some dolomite in the ground by them. Planted some more green beans where I took out carrots and parsnips. They should make if I can keep the bugs off.

Have whipped my okra plants twice and have blooms about to open, so it looks really good.

I have more dang hot pepper, cayenne and jalapeño, than I can possibly use. Made a dozen jars of pepper jelly and that is enough. I pulled the bell pepper plants. I was fighting worms and ants and just got tired of it. Left the hot peppers but likely will pull those soon too. Think I will string some peppers to hang.

Cucumbers just won’t quit!! I have put up more bread & butter, garlic dill spears and sliced dill pickles since my last post. Probable have enough cucumbers to make several more jars of pickles but dang!! I love fresh cucumbers as a snack and in salads, so guess that will do for now.

About time to set some garlic pods and I think I am going to put in some cabbage.

Hope your gardens are bountiful and looking well!!

Re: garden planted - 07/29/19 09:09 PM

[Linked Image]
One of my recent harvests.

[Linked Image]
Jalapenos....out my ears.

[Linked Image]
Arkansas Travelers..

[Linked Image]
Whooped okra!

[Linked Image]
Hot pepper jelly.

Re: garden planted - 07/29/19 09:15 PM

Now about that coop full of sugar baby melons...um it has become jungle like!!! AND there is a big ole speckled king snake hanging out in there~~~~ slap There are melons all over the vines...hanging on the sides, on the ground and one even on the top!! Imma let um go for a bit and then take the weed wacker in with me, so I don't step on anything that might bite me. Don't care if it is not poisonous...they still bite.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then, there is the beauty that is attracting all sorts of fluttery things...
[Linked Image]

Re: garden planted - 08/23/19 03:50 PM

I have been scarce around this joint lately...just lots going on. My fall tomato plants bit the dust from wilt. Made me sick, since they had tomatoes all over them but hey, it happens. Okra is making but this is the strangest okra I've grown. Late green beans are doing well, not blooming but close. Am fighting the worms on those. My cucumbers are finally playing out....thank goodness. Still have hot peppers growing like crazy. Plan to put out some cabbage the end of the month. May put in a small patch of greens too.

Hope you all have had a successful year in the garden!! I have canned so much, my pantry is about to burst open! My last additions were pear preserves and scuppernong jelly; now I am done! I will have lots of Christmas gifts with all the canning I did.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM