Aldeer.com

Keeping Grass out of Garden?

Posted By: Chad Burnette

Keeping Grass out of Garden? - 02/13/19 06:02 AM

Fixing to get garden ready for spring. What can or need to do to help grass from taking over garden? Seems like last few years it keeps getting worse.

Chad
Posted By: Hayzeus

Re: Keeping Grass out of Garden? - 02/13/19 01:17 PM

Hoe
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Keeping Grass out of Garden? - 02/13/19 06:48 PM

a couple weeks after planting hoe it up really good and mulch with pine shavings or pine straw.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Keeping Grass out of Garden? - 02/13/19 09:01 PM

wonder if u could use eraser or roundup............
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Keeping Grass out of Garden? - 02/13/19 11:37 PM

I put black plastic between the rows and cover with hay to keep it in place. Worked like a charm last year
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Keeping Grass out of Garden? - 02/14/19 03:15 PM

Preen.
Posted By: Slim1026

Re: Keeping Grass out of Garden? - 02/15/19 08:46 AM

How far apart do you space your rows?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Keeping Grass out of Garden? - 02/15/19 12:46 PM

4-6 feet depending on the crop
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Keeping Grass out of Garden? - 02/15/19 07:35 PM

Silage tarp and flame weeder torch. Till up your beds, rake em flat and even, throw the silage tarp over the beds for a few weeks to make the weeds sprout and die. Uncover the tarp after a few weeks when the beds look clean.

At this point you can either plant, or go round two with the flame weeder torch (red dragon on Amazon). Let the beds get rained on or irrigate them purposefully with a sprinkler. When the weeds sprout up kill em with the flame thrower. Do NOT till again after flaming. Plant.

All this requires is a little planning. You can "pre fertilize" the beds with compost or manure, and I like to side dress with liquid fish fertilizer while the crop is actually growing. It won't eliminate all weed pressure, but it will greatly help.
Posted By: lances

Re: Keeping Grass out of Garden? - 02/16/19 02:04 PM

My aunt use to use card board boxes her garden was seedless but she spent hours and hours on it. I’m not 100% but pretty sure she left cardboard and just had it plowed under. Might be wrong though I just remember how neat her garden was.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM