Aldeer.com

Moving small oaks

Posted By: jb20

Moving small oaks - 12/14/18 05:32 PM

Is there anything special I need to do so they'll live? Planning on digging up a few with trac ho tomorrow and plant in front yard
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Moving small oaks - 12/15/18 04:39 AM

A friend of mine that use to do a lot of nursery work said on wild trees you need to go out and take a sharp shovel and cut the lateral roots off about 2' from the base of the tree and let it heal for a few weeks before moving it.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Moving small oaks - 12/15/18 02:06 PM

Ok I'll look into that thanks
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Moving small oaks - 12/15/18 05:59 PM

When it comes to small (as in 1.5-3') we have had great success during dormancy just digging them up and saving as much original dirt and root ball as possible and stick it in the ground in a similar sized hole right before a rain or watered in well. They don't grow much the first summer after transplant but pick up again on the second year.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Moving small oaks - 12/17/18 04:56 PM

I moved two live oaks that were about 6 foot tall from the back yard to the front I just dug about 3 foot around and 2 feet deep they've done fine. take a 5 gallon bucket and drill a small hole to drip water it in the spring and summer the first year to help out with the roots drying out.
Posted By: Johnathan

Re: Moving small oaks - 12/22/18 02:12 PM

I don't know a lot about transplanting trees. I was with my uncle and we transplanted a dogwood tree. I remember he marked the north side of the tree and he replanted the tree with the north side facing the north.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM