Aldeer.com

Persimmons

Posted By: countryjwh

Persimmons - 10/22/18 02:13 AM

We have the Fuji and the Japanese persimmons. The Japanese are almost done but I picked one today and it was cool outside and the persimmon was just as cold. Man it was good. Then I went to get a Fuji since they just starting and peeled that one and ate pretty much everything but the nub. I love em.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Persimmons - 10/23/18 03:11 AM

I had a freh one fall from the tree the other day hunting and I ate it straight from the ground.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Persimmons - 10/23/18 12:45 PM

Dang, I would have picked it up and at least have knocked the dirt off....................
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Persimmons - 11/10/18 11:50 PM

I've been eating Fuyu persimmons all day, too! smile
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Persimmons - 11/12/18 05:59 PM

I have 2 seedless ones up here that my uncle grafted together prob 30 years ago. I get 400 plus bags of pulp off them a year.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Persimmons - 11/18/18 09:21 PM

What you make with all that pulp? Preserves, pudding, wine, baby food? That’s a lot of pulp
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Persimmons - 11/19/18 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by DEADorALIVE
I've been eating Fuyu persimmons all day, too! smile

Where did you buy your fuyu trees

Re: Persimmons - 11/19/18 05:39 PM

The one I have, I bought from a man in Ft. Walton. I’ll be adding several more in a couple months, and those will likely come from fastgrowingtrees.com . If you’re ever close to Enterprise or Ino, I can put you on a man who has a thousand trees with fruit currently in its prime. He’s where I got fruit from after ‘Huntress’s horse ate all the fruit on my tree!

Re: Persimmons - 11/19/18 06:11 PM

I sell then for 4 bucks a bag which has 2 cups in it. Some fun money. My mom make some things like pudding and persimmon cookies that are dang good.

Re: Persimmons - 11/20/18 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by ParrotHead89
I sell then for 4 bucks a bag which has 2 cups in it. Some fun money. My mom make some things like pudding and persimmon cookies that are dang good.

The ones I have, 2 cups would be about 2 persimmons. They're the size and shape of a small/medium tomato, just orange instead of red. The ones I bought in Ino were $1.25/lb.
Posted By: Cactus_buck

Re: Persimmons - 11/23/18 06:19 AM

The one I have, I bought from a man in Ft. Walton. I’ll be adding several more in a couple months, and those will likely come from fastgrowingtrees.com . If you’re ever close to Enterprise or Ino, I can put you on a man who has a thousand trees with fruit currently in its prime. He’s where I got fruit from after ‘Huntress’s horse ate all the fruit on my tree!

I would like to know. I live in Dothan and want some trees.

Re: Persimmons - 11/23/18 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cactus_buck

I would like to know. I live in Dothan and want some trees.

Not sure if he sells trees, I KNOW he sells fruit. Look for trees at Lowes and/or Home Depot when they get fruit trees in. Fastgrowingtrees.com is also a good place.

If you're familiar with Ino, turn off of 134 in the sharp curve at the church, go about 300 yds, and you'll see Earl's grove on your right. Coming from Dothan, you'd leave E-prise going to ConAgra, or whatever the chicken plant is called, these days. Go past the the chicken plant to the stop sign. Straight to the next stop sign. Straight towards hwy 134. You'll see Earl's grove about 300 yds before you get to 134. He also has a lot of satsuma trees, so if you like citrus, be sure to pick up some of that, too! I gave $1.25/lb, but being a little later in the season, the price might drop some.
Posted By: kntree

Re: Persimmons - 11/26/18 09:53 PM

How long does it take the Fuji's to put on? I planted a couple about a year ago. 2 fuji and a different variety I can't remember.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Persimmons - 11/27/18 02:00 AM

I don't have any persimmons, but I have some of the best tasting dang satsuma oranges you have ever eat.

Re: Persimmons - 11/27/18 08:21 PM

Stark Brothers is a great place to buy trees. Have bought many trees from them and have a free one year replacement.

Re: Persimmons - 11/28/18 05:47 AM

Stark Bros is a good company and will definitely stand behind their products! Some trees don't do so well when shipped bare root, but I've gotten several apples and a couple others from them are doing great. I also had some honey berries that I got from them and 4 of the 8 never came out of dormancy. Stark replaced them, no questions asked.

Re: Persimmons - 11/28/18 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by kntree
How long does it take the Fuji's to put on? I planted a couple about a year ago. 2 fuji and a different variety I can't remember.

My tree was 5 yo when I planted it this Spring, and it made this year.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Persimmons - 12/17/18 05:01 PM

Stark Bros is a good company and will definitely stand behind their products! Some trees don't do so well when shipped bare root, but I've gotten several apples and a couple others from them are doing great. I also had some honey berries that I got from them and 4 of the 8 never came out of dormancy. Stark replaced them, no questions asked.

this is where my Fuyu persimmons came from and they are doing great order 3 about 4 years ago I fill up a few 5 gallon buckets with persimmons every years
Posted By: WARPhEAGLE

Re: Persimmons - 12/23/18 01:18 PM

I planted 2 fuyu persimmons about 5 years ago, after having read somewhere it was a good wildlife tree. A couple years later I realized one of them was not a fuyu at all, but an American persimmon. The actual fuyu has grown very slowly, and still is small, only producing about 2 to 4 pieces of fruit a year for the past 3 years. I have never seen evidence of a deer eating the fruit. I end up picking them in Nov or Dec as they never have dropped on their own. The fruit is large and a pretty orange color. Not astringent like unripe American. Pretty good flavor. I know Bennets in Huntsville used to carry them, might still.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Persimmons - 12/23/18 04:03 PM

I picked the last fruit off my fugues this week, they so far haven't been good for deer. If you get American persimmons be sure to get grafted female trees so you get fruit.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Persimmons - 12/23/18 11:42 PM

I ordered 2 fuyu today. Got the 5-6 ft which are said to be of bearing size. Hope they turn out good.
Posted By: Fishinspot

Re: Persimmons - 12/24/18 02:20 AM

I’ve got a ton of persimmon trees that produce mostly every year but I have no idea what type they are. Is there an easy way to identify them?

Re: Persimmons - 12/24/18 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
I picked the last fruit off my fugues this week, they so far haven't been good for deer. If you get American persimmons be sure to get grafted female trees so you get fruit.

Dunno about deer, but I can tell you if you want the fruit don't put a horse anywhere he can get to it, because he won't wait for it to ripen! laugh

Re: Persimmons - 12/24/18 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fishinspot
I’ve got a ton of persimmon trees that produce mostly every year but I have no idea what type they are. Is there an easy way to identify them?

Are they wild or planted trees? If they're wild, they're likely American persimmons. Look at the shape of the fruit...if it's kind of acorn shaped, it's an astringent variety and needs to be real ripe before you try to eat it. If it's kind of flattened out, like a tomato, it's a sweet variety and can be eaten as soon as the color turns, but like most fruit, will get sweeter the more it ripens.
Posted By: Fishinspot

Re: Persimmons - 12/24/18 06:40 AM

Wild I believe. I didn’t plant them but they are popping up all over the place. The deer tear them up but I haven’t tried them yet.

Re: Persimmons - 12/25/18 05:45 AM

Sounds like American persimmons. If you bite one before it's so ripe it's almost like pudding, it'll take you a week to get your face unscrewed! laugh
© 2024 ALDEER.COM